Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Application Throttling/Management

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Application Throttling/Management

Old 25-10-2008, 12:15   #406
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Re: Application Throttling/Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Who sells adsl2 at 8 meg ????
You're just being picky now
Be do adsl2+ at 8 meg.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-10-2008, 12:16   #407
xspeedyx

BE there do sorry I had to say it

---------- Post added at 12:16 ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 ----------

dam u Gary you beat me
Old 25-10-2008, 12:17   #408
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

OK guys, we've confirmed that he could be getting above 8Mbps, now no need to continue bouncing the argument between each other for the sake of it...

SO BEHAVE otherwise I'll sit on both of ya!!!!
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 12:22   #409
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post

I'd like that to be quite honest
Old 25-10-2008, 12:25   #410
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy
That's an image I'd love to see!

<offtopic>Just for the record, I get 2.2Mbit down back home in Lowestoft, so they (the ISP) may well sell it at 2Mbit, 4Mbit, 8Mbit or whatever, but chances are it's a slight variation on what is actually sold to allow for overhead or something else, like distance from exchange, etc.</offtopic>

Anyway, before I take this thread further down the embankment....

Does anybody have any suggestions as to sharing the connection equally (say for 2Mbit, you give each person in a 4-bed flat 512Kbit) during peak-time hours on a router, to avoid going over the STM threshold during the daytime? For instance, can it be done with the Netgear router Virgin provide, or Belkin, or something else entirely? Ideally without having to install software on each computer...
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 12:29   #411
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
I'd like that to be quite honest
Trust me not after the kebab I've just made for myself!!!!
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 12:35   #412
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I'd have to drink the bottle of vodka I was saving for Christmas.
Old 25-10-2008, 12:42   #413
xspeedyx

Quote:
LOL was it nice kymmy sorry I am off topic but with your punishment I might keeping going off topic
Old 25-10-2008, 12:52   #414
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
You're just being picky now
Be do adsl2+ at 8 meg.
Then i stand corrected Gary

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 13:03   #415
CHiLL
cf.geek

Services: Sky+ TV and Virgin Media 10MB Internet.
CHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of light

I'm getting a whopping great 30KB/s download speed from multiple servers. (Not all together...each one at at time only gives 30KB/s)
CHiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 13:26   #416
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Machine View Post
That's an image I'd love to see!

<offtopic>Just for the record, I get 2.2Mbit down back home in Lowestoft, so they (the ISP) may well sell it at 2Mbit, 4Mbit, 8Mbit or whatever, but chances are it's a slight variation on what is actually sold to allow for overhead or something else, like distance from exchange, etc.</offtopic>

Anyway, before I take this thread further down the embankment....

Does anybody have any suggestions as to sharing the connection equally (say for 2Mbit, you give each person in a 4-bed flat 512Kbit) during peak-time hours on a router, to avoid going over the STM threshold during the daytime? For instance, can it be done with the Netgear router Virgin provide, or Belkin, or something else entirely? Ideally without having to install software on each computer...
you will find something in this lot, you might be better with an old PC and a linux router cd booted for more fine grained STM options ratehr than the 3rd party router firmware though.

http://search.virginmedia.com/result...ty+firmware&cr=
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 21:48   #417
adrian1971
Inactive

adrian1971 is an unknown quantity at this point

just been watching tv a programe like watch dog. anyway they were going on about unlimited broadband, and well the end of the story is that in the dictionary unlimited means unlimited meaning no restrictions what so ever.
so come on vm get ya act together....
adrian1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 22:08   #418
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian1971 View Post
just been watching tv a programe like watch dog. anyway they were going on about unlimited broadband, and well the end of the story is that in the dictionary unlimited means unlimited meaning no restrictions what so ever.
so come on vm get ya act together....
Unlimited to Virgin is unlimited downloads, which is No download limits†, which is †Acceptable usage policy applies. which is STM.
Old 28-10-2008, 22:20   #419
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

If there's a FUP and they're advertising unlimited downloads, clearly it's not. Somebody take these providers out and whack em on the backside with a cricket bat!
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 22:55   #420
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Machine View Post
If there's a FUP and they're advertising unlimited downloads, clearly it's not. Somebody take these providers out and whack em on the backside with a cricket bat!
They say that the term unlimited is the industry standard term. the industry standard that ignores the English definition of the word that is understood to mean by the English people.