Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Application Throttling/Management

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Application Throttling/Management

Old 07-10-2008, 22:44   #376
|Kippa|
Inactive

|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them|Kippa| has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Application Throttling/Management

In real terms if Allot was being used for shaping gaming traffic would it make the ping from the user to the gaming server higher, but the game still playable? Or the ping so high that gaming becomes impossible to play?

To be honest if 99% of games are playable just with slightly higher pings then I am not too botherd. If however the pings are so high that gaming becomes impossible then I would have serious issues with it.
|Kippa| is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2008, 22:58   #377
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Can we please cease the personal abuse.

Debate the facts, DO NOT attack the poster.

Any continuation will result in warnings with possible infraction points.

Thank you...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:31   #378
watzizname
Inactive

Services: XL 60/3
watzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlinux View Post
I mean I dont really think Virgin will deploy this unless its just in the really bad areas
One might have expected the same of stm, however this is the underhanded penny pinchers at VM we're dealing with, if its implemented, it'll be nationwide
watzizname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:23   #379
SimonB79
Inactive

SimonB79 will become famous soon enoughSimonB79 will become famous soon enoughSimonB79 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Re: Application Throttling/Management

If this application throttling effects my Xbox Live experience then I'm going elsewhere... its as simple as that (and I'm sure others will almost certainly follow)

I already have a BT-Line so that's not a problem
SimonB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:06   #380
xspeedyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB79 View Post
If this application throttling effects my Xbox Live experience then I'm going elsewhere... its as simple as that (and I'm sure others will almost certainly follow)

I already have a BT-Line so that's not a problem
Same here I use my BB regulary for xbox live and if I cant play because VM need to save money then bye bye
Old 08-10-2008, 12:24   #381
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

So do we take the fact that VM have not disputed this, That this time they are infact doing this

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:57   #382
xspeedyx

They have it installed Sirius as they have admitted, so the post from trax showing its active is just showing its on the network and in no way appilication managing anyone, if there was a trial we would find out about it, I have seen any slow down on my torrents or newsgroups, until I start to see this been affected I aint gonna worry too much
Old 08-10-2008, 17:44   #383
AppleSauce
Inactive

AppleSauce is an unknown quantity at this point

Noticing some weird things as of late, If I'm on a game my pings seem to slowly rise from 15/20 to 45/50. After I leave the game I still have 45/50 pings to certain things, then suddenly after I've been off the game for 5 minutes my ping and download speeds suddenly return to normal.

Been going on for the past week, Only seems to be happening 5pm-9pm.

If I don't go on games everything remains the same.
AppleSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 18:06   #384
xspeedyx

mmm strange I doubt its shaping causing this as gaming you have to connect to a server/host and it all depends where you are connected and how much load is but on the server/host, so once you leave a game your pings will be back to normal
Old 08-10-2008, 18:40   #385
cook1984
Inactive

cook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud of

If only they invested as much energy and money in network upgrades and sorting out their current tiers, instead of throttling, "management" (more throttling) and the utterly pointless 50 meg tier that will only be used by people with chipped modems things might improve.

I have my Be install date now. If I get over 10 meg, it will be bye bye VM.
cook1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 19:57   #386
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Those Allot units have been there for years, they were ordered and installed years ago. None of them have ever shaped traffic actively nor will they, some of them aren't even activated.

The 10Gbit Allot SG Omega is presently confined exclusively to the Cable and Wireless LLU interconnects. No evidence of a wide spread trial or rollout on the cable network.

Yes they are there, ntl had all this kit and had to find something to do with it, so something to keep the number crunchers interested and help the application management companies to produce their statistics was the way to run I guess.

I repeat none of those units are actively shaping, some aren't even switched on.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 20:02   #387
xspeedyx

Which I have pointed out a few posts above I have seen no trials heard no about no trials from higher up contacts so really dont see this been rolled out, maybe VM do have some kind of sense
Old 08-10-2008, 20:11   #388
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbandings View Post
Those Allot units have been there for years, they were ordered and installed years ago. None of them have ever shaped traffic actively nor will they, some of them aren't even activated.

The 10Gbit Allot SG Omega is presently confined exclusively to the Cable and Wireless LLU interconnects. No evidence of a wide spread trial or rollout on the cable network.

Yes they are there, ntl had all this kit and had to find something to do with it, so something to keep the number crunchers interested and help the application management companies to produce their statistics was the way to run I guess.

I repeat none of those units are actively shaping, some aren't even switched on.
Thats good to hear

Old 08-10-2008, 20:17   #389
xspeedyx

come sirius if this was been trialled then we would of known about it
Old 08-10-2008, 20:23   #390
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlinux View Post
come sirius if this was been trialled then we would of known about it
Would we ????

Remember STM that was trialed in small select areas first so as not to give the game away