Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Application Throttling/Management

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Application Throttling/Management

Old 07-10-2008, 15:22   #361
xspeedyx

Re: Application Throttling/Management

to save bandwidth and maximise there profits for bonuses

---------- Post added at 15:22 ---------- Previous post was at 13:52 ----------

all though didnt Virgin Media admit they have allot on there network but dont use it for application throttling?
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2008, 15:37   #362
Fatec
Inactive

Fatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlinux View Post
to save bandwidth and maximise there profits for bonuses

---------- Post added at 15:22 ---------- Previous post was at 13:52 ----------

all though didnt Virgin Media admit they have allot on there network but dont use it for application throttling?
Their actual response was its used on a very small part of the network to build usage metrics and until recently it was only in one area.

Then 2 weeks before the 50Mbit rollout it suddenly appears all over the network...

Then there is the shaping trial which we know of...

P.S Funnily, zenith who is contracted to work with ALLOT denies it being on the network at all, yet they clearly are there.

He does admit what its used for though
Fatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 16:18   #363
xspeedyx

Well I have no problem with it been on the network as long as its doesnt affect my gaming or torrents, which you have said it will, I aint gonna worry until it does
Old 07-10-2008, 16:47   #364
Stabhappy
Inactive

Services: XXL BB + M Phone
Stabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Stabhappy

is it possible that VM are using this technology to prioritise games and internet traffic over P2P/downloading?
Stabhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 16:57   #365
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabhappy View Post
is it possible that VM are using this technology to prioritise games and internet traffic over P2P/downloading?
If they are then thats a crock of watsit.

Quote:
“Virgin Media has an open and transparent traffic management policy listed at www.virginmedia.com/traffic. Our policy does not discriminate internet traffic by application and we have no plans to do so. Whilst we do use equipment from Allot within parts of our cable network, this is used to build usage metrics and does not affect customers’ service in any way. It is certainly not used to do any form of packet shaping or change internet traffic priorities.”
So have VM made any more statements ???????

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 17:26   #366
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

I'd like to know what impacts - if any - this is having on gaming, because so far my WOW and Conan accounts get very good connections with no abnormal latency increases.

Whilst I don't dispute Trax's recent post on the DPI boxes, if they are live, they are having no visible decremental affect on my gaming experience. It could even be that the such network components could be improving things, but with no evidence either way its just talk right now,

EDIT: It also crossed my mind too that I was recently forced to upgrade my WOW files with a massive 900Mb patch ready for their latest add on, considering that is served to its users using a peer-to-peer system and my download was fast and well seeded, I do think these boxes if live are helping, not hindering.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 17:28   #367
Daffy Duck
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TV,BB and phone
Daffy Duck is a jewel in the roughDaffy Duck is a jewel in the roughDaffy Duck is a jewel in the roughDaffy Duck is a jewel in the roughDaffy Duck is a jewel in the rough

all though didnt Virgin Media admit they have allot on there network but dont use it for application throttling?[/quote]

They did...so i don't see how the equipment showing proves anything one way or the other.
Maybe they are,maybe they aren't.....but my gaming hasn't been affected.
Daffy Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 18:53   #368
broadbandbug
Inactive

broadbandbug has a spectacular aura about thembroadbandbug has a spectacular aura about thembroadbandbug has a spectacular aura about thembroadbandbug has a spectacular aura about them

But there are already Allot NetEnforcers in the ex-NTL Network.. Have been for ages, but as far as I know they are only gathering 'application data stats' not actually doing any traffic management.

Can you tell if it is actually doing anything other than sitting in the network behind a CAM?

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraxData2 View Post
Their actual response was its used on a very small part of the network to build usage metrics and until recently it was only in one area.

Then 2 weeks before the 50Mbit rollout it suddenly appears all over the network...

Then there is the shaping trial which we know of...

P.S Funnily, zenith who is contracted to work with ALLOT denies it being on the network at all, yet they clearly are there.

He does admit what its used for though
As I have said.. The Allot boxes that are currently on the Bromley/Langley network are only gathering stats.. They are the old NetEnforcers that NTL put in years back.
There are no Allot boxes on the Knowsley Platform.. So where has this appearing all over the network come from..
broadbandbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 19:09   #369
Fatec
Inactive

Fatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to beholdFatec is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandbug View Post
As I have said.. The Allot boxes that are currently on the Bromley/Langley network are only gathering stats.. They are the old NetEnforcers that NTL put in years back.
There are no Allot boxes on the Knowsley Platform.. So where has this appearing all over the network come from..
That's funny, because on digitalspy you said they are no allot modules on any part of the network and that was only yesterday, having trouble with your memory again zenith?

Err, look above, funny that's more areas than bromley and langley,
Old 07-10-2008, 19:11   #370
broadbandbug
Inactive

broadbandbug has a spectacular aura about thembroadbandbug has a spectacular aura about thembroadbandbug has a spectacular aura about thembroadbandbug has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
That's funny, because on digitalspy you said they are no allot modules on any part of the network and that was only yesterday, having trouble with your memory again zenith?

Err, look above, funny that's more areas than bromley and langley,
Lol.. I am talking about Allot 10G (Current Equipment), I don't class the old rubbish that is sucking power in the hubsites doing nothing!

Oh and by the way.. All those sites are either Bromley or Langley.. There is not a Knowsley site amongst them.
Old 07-10-2008, 19:12   #371
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Oh this should be good.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 19:12   #372
Fatec
Inactive

Quote:
Lol.. I am talking about Allot 10G (Current Equipment), I don't class the old rubbish that is sucking power in the hubsites doing nothing!
Ah yes, the old ones which were never on any other part of the network until a few days ago you mean

Oh how one wishes you were to be honest for just once
Old 07-10-2008, 19:16   #373
broadbandbug
Inactive

Quote:
Ah yes, the old ones which were never on any other part of the network until a few days ago you mean

Oh how one wishes you were to be honest for just once
What are you talking about The Allot kit which is in the network has been there for years.. It is not even counted as being traffic management equipment by VM anymore.. It is just stats gathering.. You really are starting to get boring!
Old 07-10-2008, 19:16   #374
xspeedyx

If Virgin Media have ALLOT on the network then so be it shall we just wait until they deploy this nationwide, I mean I dont really think Virgin will deploy this unless its just in the really bad areas, as you post before trax shows ALLOT is active but not actually traffic managing
Old 07-10-2008, 19:23   #375
Fatec
Inactive

Quote:
What are you talking about The Allot kit which is in the network has been there for years.. It is not even counted as being traffic management equipment by VM anymore.. It is just stats gathering.. You really are starting to get boring!
Funny, i think you talk out of your arse

You say that they are not currently active, so what about the current profile trial YOU along with others whom i shall not name (considering they browse here) are running.?

Oops, let's hear your wave of ********, invite alex along too.

Funny that certain staff have been in huge amounts of trouble for talking about and trying to find out what allot is being used for, aint it? for something thats only collecting data...they sure do have extremely big amounts of security over it