Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 13-08-2016, 11:12   #286
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
Hi that's my thoughts exactly, sky's normal price is £99 for box which is installation and connection but the now it's all free. And the charge for UHD on sky is £12a month virgin media £15 a month. It's true sadly they can resell the box as much as they want, and charge as much as they want
Glad I`m not alone in thinking this way!
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-08-2016, 11:25   #287
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

why do they release certain information on the new box just maybe to impress Sky i guess , with apps Netflix which you have to pay for and You Tube theres not much of 4k to look forward to maybe the odd movie on Virgin Movies etc
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 11:53   #288
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Hi that's my thoughts exactly, sky's normal price is £99 for box which is installation and connection but the now it's all free. And the charge for UHD on sky is £12a month virgin media £15 a month. It's true sadly they can resell the box as much as they want, and charge as much as they want
But you don't pay for repairs all call out with VM. Sky you either pay for a call out,(very expensive) or pay a monthly insurance which probably bring the monthly cost in line with VM.
Old 13-08-2016, 12:51   #289
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
VM doesn't offer UHD so where are you conjuring up £15pm from?

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
When I was with Sky i paid for an extra box which had extra storage space for your recordings but the difference is the box is mine to keep forever and I can still use it,even record on it if I want to(albeit pay sky £5 a month). Now i know you don`t get to keep virgins boxes when you leave but that means virgin can re-sell a box over and over again! Nice little earner `eh!
Last time I checked the Sky recording fee was £11.50pm. And Sky's 4K HQ box remains Sky's property so their model is becoming more like VM's.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 13:10   #290
veeemmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollp View Post
But you don't pay for repairs all call out with VM. Sky you either pay for a call out,(very expensive) or pay a monthly insurance which probably bring the monthly cost in line with VM.
Not true. Servicing and repairs/replacements are free with Sky Q.
Old 13-08-2016, 13:12   #291
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Maybe it`s just me but why do virgin charge anything for a new box when it`s never yours to keep? What would happen if everyone said "sorry virgin either give me a new box free of charge or I`l stick with what I`ve got"? i know it wouldn`t happen because they`l always be geeks willing to pay silly money to get the very latest.
When I was with Sky i paid for an extra box which had extra storage space for your recordings but the difference is the box is mine to keep forever and I can still use it,even record on it if I want to(albeit pay sky £5 a month). Now i know you don`t get to keep virgins boxes when you leave but that means virgin can re-sell a box over and over again! Nice little earner `eh!
Do you expect Virgin to offer it for free? What happens when 2 million people all call up at the same time for the free box?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 13:55   #292
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post

Last time I checked the Sky recording fee was £11.50pm. And Sky's 4K HQ box remains Sky's property so their model is becoming more like VM's.
If they are following virgins model why are virgin wanting £200

---------- Post added at 13:52 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post

In theory it's not a UHD fee, TiVo is a £5.50 per month, the £15 is a user fee for the box

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollp View Post
With sky q it's free box, free call out and repairs and £12 a month with planned UHD movies and sports

with virgin box is £200 free call and repairs and £15 a month no confirmed UHD material
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 14:03   #293
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
These figures are being banded about like confetti! We simply don't know what VM will charge and you seem to be ignoring the fact that Virgin have already given a pretty good indication that their new box will be cheaper than Sky Q.

---------- Post added at 14:03 ---------- Previous post was at 14:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
why do they release certain information on the new box just maybe to impress Sky i guess , with apps Netflix which you have to pay for and You Tube theres not much of 4k to look forward to maybe the odd movie on Virgin Movies etc
Where do you get the idea that Virgin will not have much 4K to offer? You are making some big assumptions here.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 14:13   #294
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
If they are following virgins model why are virgin wanting £200

---------- Post added at 13:52 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

In theory it's not a UHD fee, TiVo is a £5.50 per month, the £15 is a user fee for the box

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:52 ----------

With sky q it's free box, free call out and repairs and £12 a month with planned UHD movies and sports

with virgin box is £200 free call and repairs and £15 a month no confirmed UHD material
VM didn't officially release any pricing so that means nothing. There will be 4k that is all that got confirmed.
Old 13-08-2016, 16:05   #295
veeemmm

What happened with the reports that testing wasn't going well and that it wouldn't be released until 2017 or has that resulted in the decision to rush it out with the same software that is on the current Tivos as an interim measure until the non-Tivo replacement is ready?
Old 13-08-2016, 16:27   #296
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
These figures are being banded about like confetti! We simply don't know what VM will charge and you seem to be ignoring the fact that Virgin have already given a pretty good indication that their new box will be cheaper than Sky Q.

Where do you get the idea that Virgin will not have much 4K to offer? You are making some big assumptions here.
Well sky movies and sky sports 4K for virgin hasn't been guaranteed, we should get bT sport 4K but because virgin customers on XL for free there MIGHT be an additional charge. We will get some on demand 4K to justify charging extra

1. Virgin on demand 4K - Very Likely

2. BT Sport 4K - Likely but maybe a extra charge

3. Sky sports and movies - Possable

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeemmm View Post
What happened with the reports that testing wasn't going well and that it wouldn't be released until 2017 or has that resulted in the decision to rush it out with the same software that is on the current Tivos as an interim measure until the non-Tivo replacement is ready?
I think those issues have been worked on because they don't want to delay the release any later than they have to

---------- Post added at 16:27 ---------- Previous post was at 16:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

Well here is the thing if I'm wrong I will say I'm wrong but if I'm correct then not good times
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 16:31   #297
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Heloooooo

SH1 and SH3 ring any bells? Virgin release no matter what issues there is
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 16:58   #298
veeemmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Heloooooo

SH1 and SH3 ring any bells? Virgin release no matter what issues there is
Yes and the recent Tivo update is very fresh in my memory, especially with the standby recording failure bug at the first attempt. Every year it has been something like suggestions or padding, Dolby Digital etc. Series link+ is still a major downgrade as far as I am concerned but that is being discussed elsewhere as well as removing blue button from MyShows. Something is very fundamentally wrong IMO.

Last edited by veeemmm; 13-08-2016 at 17:07.
Old 13-08-2016, 17:25   #299
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
What happened with the reports that testing wasn't going well and that it wouldn't be released until 2017
That came from one of our resident fantasists.

Do you seriously think that anybody who actually knows what's going on would post it here and risk their job?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 17:36   #300
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Indeed SP