Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BT Infinity installed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BT Infinity installed

Old 17-02-2012, 14:20   #106
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: BT Infinity installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
My linespeed is exactly 39.998 down 10.0 up, so minus overheads that's bang on, with no sign of any congestion. IP throughput is 39.7 down 9.8 up.

As I've mentioned in another thread, my max linespeed at the moment is 88mbps down 27mbps up, but obviously capped to 40mbps because that's all they sell right now. Engineers say some areas of Edinburgh have been switched to 80mbps already and it's being trialled with staff, so not long to go.

[Edit]

Interestingly my IP is now 31.51.123.0. Wish I could keep it...

hows the jitter?

---------- Post added at 14:20 ---------- Previous post was at 14:18 ----------

sky is an alternative unlimited provider althoigh is to be capped at 2mbit upload.

There is other alternatives also but work out more expensive for less usage.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-02-2012, 15:08   #107
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Jitter is non-existant (see my pingtest and TBB monitor in the other thread). I'll set up a permanant TBB monitor once I get round to setting it up more stably, right now it's connected to one computer only via PPPoE, without a router, and every time I redial I get a completely different IP.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 15:09   #108
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter

My Mrs brother has now had FTTP installed by BT, He gets 98mbs down and 14mbs up with 300 coming soon to him. He pinged newbury which is 50 iles away and got 7ms. I hate him.
New to cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 15:18   #109
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Yeah BT's done a lot of work on their core network lately and are really pushing ahead with their services. 300mbps FTTP will be coming this year with a view to 1000mbps being available Q1 next year. Their new (fibre based) products are miles and miles ahead of the heavily managed and heavily congested ADSL products of yesteryear.

I had been holding out for O2/Be to release a FTTC service but having seen the performance of BT Infinity truly whip even Be's behinds there seems to be no need.
Old 17-02-2012, 16:11   #110
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable View Post
My Mrs brother has now had FTTP installed by BT, He gets 98mbs down and 14mbs up with 300 coming soon to him. He pinged newbury which is 50 iles away and got 7ms. I hate him.
get him to set up a TBB ping monitor, i want to see one of those!!
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 16:27   #111
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable View Post
Does he live my side of Newbury (Wokingham) or the oher side? You can imagine why I ask!

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 17:20   #112
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I though (right now anyway) it's either FTTC or FTTP in a given area not both...
Old 18-02-2012, 12:17   #113
deathtrap3000
Inactive

Services: V+ HD XL BT Infinity 80mbps
deathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I though (right now anyway) it's either FTTC or FTTP in a given area not both...
FTTP on demand will be available next year in areas already covered by FTTC.
deathtrap3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 12:22   #114
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtrap3000 View Post
FTTP on demand will be available next year in areas already covered by FTTC.
but a price in the range of £500 to £1500 seems likely

Thats not as bad as i thought...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 18:31   #115
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Which brings me back to

Quote:
Old 18-02-2012, 18:32   #116
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
That is of course the case right now. But then BT came out with their shock announcement last week for fttp on demand starting next year.

A couple of questions, you seem happy with what you've just got installed. Would you switch to a bt/sky/whoever FTTP service if it became available? If they also offered a full blown IPTV service would that interest you?

Like many on here, I am exasperated by vm's broadband now. 60mb is of no use to me if I can only use it at 3am. May take the route as you and go with bt FTTC or wait for FTTP.

It's nice to finally have a choice of decent providers with more exciting stuff (ftth) to come next year.
Old 18-02-2012, 18:44   #117
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
A couple of questions, you seem happy with what you've just got installed. Would you switch to a bt/sky/whoever FTTP service if it became available? If they also offered a full blown IPTV service would that interest you?
I've already said a dozen times I'd be the first to suck up the £1500 for a gigabit fibre install the day it becomes available, just so I can brag my internet's faster than the rest of the street put together.

.. And so I can resell it.

Mind you I'm only 90m from the cab so it's quite likely my install cost will be at the lower end of the scale, there's only 50m of underground ducting to get through, plus my copper line is capable of at least 150mbps even sans fibre. In fact it might be simple enough to run the fibre over the roof of the flats rather than under bringing the total install cost down to a couple hundred quid tops.

As an afterthought I believe BT Infinity 100mbps+ fibre is a shared GPON system which brings some of the same drawbacks and issues as VM's shared HFC, whereas FoD will be dedicated and uncontended to the cab so will have the same jitter characteristics as VDSL2 Infinity.
Old 18-02-2012, 19:26   #118
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Had my first technical issue today, getting 0.40Mbps on speed tests, contacted their customer service which said it should be fixed by Tuesday, not too bad, and was very happy with their customer service, sure is better than Virgin Media anyway.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 21:42   #119
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Since much of the UK is fed by pole-strung wires, does anyone know if that's how FTTP will be delivered in such areas?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 22:02   #120
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

FTTP, fibre to the pole
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote