Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BT Infinity installed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BT Infinity installed

Old 25-02-2012, 04:34   #136
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: BT Infinity installed

My flatmate was P2P'ing quite heavily today - I lifted the speed restrictions just to see what'd happen - was getting about 25mbps down and 2mbps up. Looked like it was being distinctly limited at about 2mbps on the upload though - shaping perhaps - I haven't bothered checking myself.

Given that VM shape the hell out of P2P (and can't even do 2mbps upload of anything round where I live) I doubt they'd be better in any situation.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-02-2012, 06:27   #137
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

is rumours BT do shape upload 24/7, no idea why.

you can retest it with a VPN?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 18:08   #138
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I don't P2P myself and I'm not in the habit of nosying around in my flatmate's business so I won't be doing it anytime soon. I'd test it myself but the laptop I was going to use as my router has failed so I'm still yet to get the connection running properly.

BT do say they may shape P2P upload at all times and I suspect it may be the case in some areas. Mine's (compared to average) a moderate to high take-up area so I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 25-02-2012, 18:17   #139
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

when i first signed up to Infinity i was very pleased with the upload speed i was getting on P2P, around 800KB/s, i have noticed that with VM i can download from P2P any time of the day and get full 3.7MB/s speeds, but with Infinity thats not the case.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 18:27   #140
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
when i first signed up to Infinity i was very pleased with the upload speed i was getting on P2P, around 800KB/s, i have noticed that with VM i can download from P2P any time of the day and get full 3.7MB/s speeds, but with Infinity thats not the case.
So basically you just pointed out VMs shaping is broken :p

This generous p2p stuff is probably a key reason why areas like mine perform poorly, bear that in mind.
Old 25-02-2012, 20:05   #141
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I still pine for the days when all traffic on the internet was treated equally, where there was no such thing as DPI, traffic shaping, and protocol management. When you could sign up for any broadband connection and get the same speed whatever you were doing on it, when you could switch ISPs without having to piddle through the small print of exactly what is throttled to what percentage and at what time or combination of the star alignment wind direction and phase of the moon...
Old 25-02-2012, 20:19   #142
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

We're in 2012 and ISPs should begin to find ways to keep the networking running at max without having to use all these traffic management systems, Sky seems to manage just fine...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 22:38   #143
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Well, 10pm, near enough peak time as I care to notice and my flatmate's torrents are going at 8.5mbps up. That's the maximum I've allowed under my QoS settings so whatever shaping there is, it aint working.

On the other hand my ping jumped by 10ms so it looks like that whatever problem someone mentioned some time ago.
Old 28-02-2012, 14:07   #144
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

yeah looks like your line profile has been changed :S
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 02:27   #145
Martyn
Inactive

Services: Sky TV 2TB HD - Fiber Pro
Martyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Really Tempted to end my vm services....
Martyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 08:41   #146
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

BT are coming out on Saturday to replace my modem (don't know why, they just sent me a letter saying it needed to be replaced) wonder if I will notice any difference.
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 09:48   #147
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae View Post
BT are coming out on Saturday to replace my modem (don't know why, they just sent me a letter saying it needed to be replaced) wonder if I will notice any difference.
They're replacing old power adapters and pre-revision 3B modems as some are known to have an overheating issue.
Old 29-02-2012, 11:40   #148
Martyn
Inactive

Services: Sky TV 2TB HD - Fiber Pro
Martyn is an unknown quantity at this point

But can't the user do that by simply swapping the hub over? By could also include something to return the old hub back in.. :-)
Martyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 14:26   #149
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Modem, not hub.
Old 29-02-2012, 15:23   #150
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
We're in 2012 and ISPs should begin to find ways to keep the networking running at max without having to use all these traffic management systems, Sky seems to manage just fine...
I agree.