Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Europe to get 80GB PS3?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Europe to get 80GB PS3?

Old 29-01-2008, 20:44   #16
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Europe to get 80GB PS3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I want to get a PS3, but I need one that is backward compatable with PS2 games as I nearly have 100.

The 40GB version isn't backward compatable
The 60GB was but has been discontinued.

The 80 apparently is but as of yet not for sale in the UK.

Oh well play the waiting game.

The American 80GB PS3 is BC, but appears to be being phased out.

If Sony release a new SKU over here, I can't really see it having BC - they removed it to cut costs, & the board has also changed in other ways since the 60/80GB SKUs (65nm process for the Cell on the 40GB SKU, 90nm on the others).

I'd expect any possible future SKUs to simply be based on the 40GB one, but have larger hard drives. Cheaper, easier...

You could get a 2nd hand 60GB PS3, or have a really good hunt for those last few units floating around (Play.com & Shopto.net have both had some recently, as did PCWorld/Dixons, although the bundles were not as good as the proper 60GB bundle...).
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-01-2008, 10:48   #17
Tod
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - Tivo, TV XL, Broadband XL, Phone XL, Mobile
Tod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to all

I have a 60GB PS3 and like the fact that I have backwards compatibility, but in reality I never use it!
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 00:42   #18
Paranoimia
Inactive

Paranoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really nice

A lot was made about the loss of b/c, but in truth I don't think it's that big a deal.

When I got my PS2, I loved that I could keep my PS1 games. But in truth, after the first week, I couldn't be bothered with them - the PS2 was such a big improvement.

It was the same story when I got my PS3 (60GB model) at launch. I traded in my PS2 and all the games two weeks later.

To be honest, I was very glad I had a b/c model when Tomb Raider Anniversary was released for PS2, but to be honest, if I'd had a non b/c model, I'd have probably just gone out and bought another PS2 - they're so cheap now that b/c on PS3 isn't really an issue, in my personal opinion.
Paranoimia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 15:35   #19
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

tbh, I'd only really want BC for one thing:

God of War II

I don't have any PS2 games anymore, nor a PS2. I wouldn't buy a PS2 just to play one game.

Although if I'd had loads of PS2 games, I probably would've tried to get a 60GB PS3 earlier, rather than wait for the cheaper non-BC 40GB.

I don't think price is the only issue for BC, there's also space, available TV connections, etc.

If I had PS2 games, I'd rather be able to play them on my PS3, than have to have yet another console set up taking up valuable space.

I still don't really understand Sony's reasoning with removing PS2 BC.

OK, it saves some money.

But I think the main thing they said was that they want to concentrate on the PS3, & obviously want people to concentrate on the PS3 & PS3 games, rather than just playing their old PS2 collection.

So why don't they *truly* focus on the PS3, & ditch the PS2 completely like MS did with the Xbox?

[& keep PS2 BC so they don't annoy people...]
Old 02-02-2008, 16:06   #20
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

Well as you said dropping BC was to save money. They removed some chips to bring productions costs down. The reason they dont ditch PS2 is because even now its still doing increadibly well. Plus with such a big PS2 fanbase they are probably tryin to keep every1 happy Plus keep making money on it lol why drop a good thing I guess.

Production cost should come down even more soon if they put in the new blu-ray laser which is smaller. We just have to wait and see were they go with all this.

I do think this year will be good for PS3 though maybe not in america but almostly surley in Europe.
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 16:23   #21
Tod
Inactive

Tod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to all

Now I have completed God of War II I don't have that problem anymore
Old 03-02-2008, 09:57   #22
GeoffW
Inactive

GeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about them

The problem for Sony removing BC is that they lose one reason for PS2 owners to move to the PS3, their library of PS2 games.

They must be losing people who then decide they may as well get an xbox.
GeoffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:42   #23
Tod
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffW View Post
The problem for Sony removing BC is that they lose one reason for PS2 owners to move to the PS3, their library of PS2 games.

They must be losing people who then decide they may as well get an xbox.
Indeed it does seem weird. Especially when you see the PS2 sales figures you would have thought it would prove useful in trying to get people to update at some point.
Old 11-08-2008, 21:21   #24
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Europe will be getting the 80GB PS3 on 29th August.

As expected, it is a straight replacement for the current 40GB PS3, with all the same features (& all the same missing features ), yet with an 80GB HDD instead of 40GB plus a DualShock3 pad instead of a SIXAXIS.

Same price point: £299 RRP.

AFAIK, Sony are also phasing out the current N. American 80GB PS3 (with PS2 BC etc.) in favour of the same new 80GB PS3 (with no PS2 BC etc.) we're getting here.
Old 11-08-2008, 23:56   #25
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Does the 80gb version also have slots for SD cards that the current 40gb one doesnt ? Apart from ps2 bc, what are the other differences if any?
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 20:24   #26
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

It's exactly the same as the current 40GB PS3, apart from having 80GB instead.
Old 19-08-2008, 09:49   #27
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Seems Sony have brought the date forward a week. the new 80Gb model will be available on Friday 22nd and will remain at a RRP of £299

Source: http://www.techdigest.tv/2008/08/80gb_ps3_releas.html
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 20:03   #28
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

SCEA has stated that shop's may sell the 80GB units as soon as they receive there stock, not sure if this applies over here but dont be surprised if some shops have them on sale now.
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 10:15   #29
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Does this have the cooler 65mm chip?
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 13:27   #30
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

It's the same as the 40GB PS3, apart from HDD size, so... yep.