Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VOIP to replace VM copper wires.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

VOIP to replace VM copper wires.

Old 09-11-2017, 15:45   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
VOIP to replace VM copper wires.

According to a VM technical guy, VM are to replace their copper wires and provide their phone service over VOIP.

Is VOIP as reliable and clear sounding as the current system?

Also, as they all come down the same wire, how will this benefit VM? Is it that they will be able to create more capacity by scrapping the bit that carries telephoney (which can't be utilised that much these days) and use the bit used for broadband instead?

---------- Post added at 14:45 ---------- Previous post was at 14:10 ----------

I posted this in mobile in error, so have asked admin to move it to landline telephones
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2017, 16:13   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: VOIP to replace VM copper wires.

Moved
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 19:49   #3
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM Phone : Sky Mobile : Sky TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
According to a VM technical guy, VM are to replace their copper wires and provide their phone service over VOIP.
Replace them with what ?

The two are not really connected, you can do VOIP down copper wires, as part of an ADSL internet connection.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 22:22   #4
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

I imagine there are a few of us staff on here who know varying levels of information regarding this. As nothing has been publically announced I would imagine you won't get much information from people in the know at this stage.
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 23:32   #5
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

I'm guessing they're not going to go to the effort of stripping the small side off all of the siamese cables on the plant...

... so they could use that copper to implement a G.Fast overlay - and then bond it at the CPE with the DOCSIS connection...

(I know this won't happen by the way, I would just find it entertaining for some sad reason).

Actually, one reason they wouldn't do this is to maintain the same product set in FTTP (no siamese cable) and FTTC areas.

Last edited by Onramp; 09-11-2017 at 23:36.
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 14:05   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
I imagine there are a few of us staff on here who know varying levels of information regarding this. As nothing has been publically announced I would imagine you won't get much information from people in the know at this stage.
There was a report earlier this year that said that VOIP would only apply to FTTP installations, but yesterday's information seemed to suggest that this would be for everybody

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...broadband.html

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 10-11-2017 at 14:10. Reason: Added link.
Old 10-11-2017, 16:47   #7
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

VOIP or Digital Voice (DV) as it is referred to in the industry, is coming to the whole VM network as a long term strategy to upgrade the phone platform form the legacy POTS service currently used. DV will be offered primarily in new build areas, project lightning expansion and areas of capacity issues where network upgrades aren't possible, it will then slowly roll out across the country as the only main phone line option. Realistically it will replace the POTS service in the long term as there are lots of benefits to the service over copper (space, power, maintenance, quality). The bit rate of the voice calls are wider than then current service so theoretically call quality will be better.

DV is already live on the network in a lot of places including Carlisle where the network build has been going on for some time.

HTH

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:40   #8
Brunel
Chief Mechanical Engineer

Services: V.M. M. 125 November 6 2018. Finally connected.
Brunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the rough

Due to be connected, hopefully before the present year end.

Have been unofficially informed by VM tech. that tel. service will not be installed, due to the phasing out of present POTS system.

No timescale before VOIP system will be activated.
Brunel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 14:13   #9
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I don't think it's any great secret that VM is removing it's twisted pair copper network and introducing VOIP over it's HFC network.

It will free up duct capacity, it will free up massive amounts of space at it's head ends when they remove the old System X voice switches. It will reduce power costs.

wont be long before 21CV is rolled out.
Old 07-12-2017, 14:56   #10
Brunel

Brunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the rough

I would prefer to keep my present tel. No. but not with present supplier.

Is there anywhere I could transfer No. to on a temp basis until VM VOIP is enabled.
Old 07-12-2017, 23:10   #11
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

You can transfer your number to services such as Vonage.

I haven't had a POTS line for a number of years been using VOIP for a while, got an 03 number so no sales calls or anything as its a brand new number. Even rings me on the mobile if I am not at home. The only downside to some VOIP services is if the power is down you have nothing, I know BT were rolling out voice via Fibre but a battery backup was provided so that the landline could still be used.

Makes sense to move away from copper, reduce maintenance costs on kit that probably has little use these days in places.
Old 08-12-2017, 00:23   #12
Brunel

Thanks, I have been looking at a few of the present VOIP providers.

https://www.yay.com/
Old 09-12-2017, 14:59   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

At least under the present system, if power and/or the internet goes down (been happening a lot here) you still have a landline, so let's hope that VM also provide a battery for backup.

Not as much of a problem now that most have a mobile.
Old 14-12-2017, 01:32   #14
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

...yes, times have moved on.

This has been a long time coming, we've talked about VOIP on here starting at least several years ago.

As my area was cabled up in 1991 and so the all the copper/coax wires are rapidly approaching being 30 years old now, I wonder if VM will bite the bullet and upgrade existing areas to FTTP too. Or, are they still going down the DOCSIS 3.1 route?

Or, perhaps they just blast all the stuff out of the street lamps instead??
Old 14-12-2017, 09:28   #15
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

The HFC networks will be staying....
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote