Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SkyQ now available to buy

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

SkyQ now available to buy

Old 17-02-2016, 02:03   #16
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice
Re: SkyQ now available to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedle View Post
So.........

It seems I have a 50% discount off my entire TV package and it does NOT not fully carry over to SkyQ. So my bill would rise by £29.50. SkyQ cancelled �� Still get to keep my line rental discount.

My main concern was the 18 month contract meaning the instant £29.50 increase would rise again when the 50% off movies/sports discount finished. So I would potentially be paying £40+ extra in 10 months time. So maybe a £700-£800 increase over the next 18 months...
You cannot have had a discount on your basic TV and another discount on your premium channels. With Sky you can only have one discount on your TV. All TV discounts are removed when you activate Sky Q.

Telephone and broadband discounts are different and these "may" be continued but it depends on how you got them. If you got them as new customer offers the probably they will be but if they were retention offers then they probably won't.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-02-2016, 11:40   #17
tweedle
Permanently Banned

tweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
You cannot have had a discount on your basic TV and another discount on your premium channels. With Sky you can only have one discount on your TV. All TV discounts are removed when you activate Sky Q.

Telephone and broadband discounts are different and these "may" be continued but it depends on how you got them. If you got them as new customer offers the probably they will be but if they were retention offers then they probably won't.
Sports and movies 50% off is carried from SkyHD to SkyQ. If you're a sky customer go sign up for SkyQ it will ask if you're a existing sky customer. Click Yes then it will ask you to sign into mysky. It will then calculate the cost of SkyQ and it clearly says "with current offers" or something similar. You can also have more than one offer on your tv. I've just logged into sky an it's now saying £36.40 extra for SkyQ.... I've already cancelled it,
tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 14:33   #18
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

It's that time of year again and my Virgin Media contract is up. I've been looking into Sky Q over the past few days and it looks really nice.

This thread is suspiciously quiet though. It would be good to hear some opinions from subscribers rather than the Sky PR blurb.
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 15:27   #19
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I've got Sky Q and it's a great product.

Is it perfect.......no , there's a few bugs at the moment especially around connectivity.

Any questions I'll gladly answer.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 17:37   #20
Doz007
cf.geek

Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

I should have known you'd have it MM!

Is the UI as snappy as the old HD box, particularly general navigation and the speed in which you could fly through all the channels on the guide?

Any idea when 4K content is due?

Is there a Netflix app?

I know they support AirPlay, but do the boxes show up as Google Cast devices like the TiVo's do

Does the Sky Q app completely replace the Sky+ app or do you still need to use the later for scheduling recordings etc?

Does the Sky Q Silver box have an IR receiver so that I can continue to use my Harmony remote?

I think that's covered the main questions that I have
Old 08-05-2016, 17:48   #21
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

The UI is really snappy to get around no lag at all.

4K content is due in the summer.

No Netflix app at the moment there is Youtube and Vevo.

I can cast content to YouTube on both the Q Silver and mini. You can send audio only via Bluetooth and Airplay.

At the moment when out and about you have to use the Sky+ app to schedule recordings.

I believe you can use Harmony remotes but have to confess not being 100 % here as I don't use one.

I have the Sky Q Silver bundle you get 3 remote controls included 1 touch and two standard.

Edit : Just checked and you can use Harmony Remotes with Sky Q.
Old 08-05-2016, 18:33   #22
Doz007
cf.geek

Thanks MM, appreciate your answers.

Are the two standard remotes using IR? If so that would confirm Harmony compatibility. If not, I'm going to have to sell the wife on having multiple remotes again....

Great news regarding the UI, it does look extremely slick and will be a pleasant change from the sluggish TiVo's I have at the moment

You mentioned earlier a few connectivity issues, are they anything to worry about? Have Sky been great with updates and fixes since Q released?
Old 08-05-2016, 18:39   #23
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

See my earlier post re Harmony Remotes.

I've had issues when trying to use the Sky Q app in the home , the app reports you are no longer connected to your Sky Q box requiring a reboot of the STB.

I've had an instance of no tv guide on the mini requiring a reboot.

I believe there's an update in the pipeline so hopefully these bugs will get fixed , personally I wouldn't go back to Sky+HD as we find Q suits are needs better.

I can 100% assure you Sky are aware of these issues and actively looking to bring a fix out.

I've seen people saying they've had issues with the connectivity of their Mini boxes however so far mine have been fine both via wifi and homeplugs.
Old 14-06-2016, 22:09   #24
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

BBC battles Sky over the future of TV on demand.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...-tv-on-demand/
Old 01-08-2016, 16:16   #25
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Sky Q is now available for £60 one off installation fee until August 15th when the 4k rollout starts ,so i will be signing at the weekend
Old 01-08-2016, 19:58   #26
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Sky Q is now available for £60 one off installation fee until August 15th when the 4k rollout starts ,so i will be signing at the weekend
I've got Sky Q I've had it a while now , personally I wouldn't go back to Sky+HD.
Old 05-08-2016, 20:20   #27
Doz007
cf.geek

I've had it a while now and I really like it. 4K UHD content has just started to appear today. Content is a little thin on the ground as it's just a test ahead of the official launch next weekend.

I even made a little video to show the content available today.

https://youtu.be/6KnckxRdsi8
Old 05-08-2016, 21:00   #28
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
I've had it a while now and I really like it. 4K UHD content has just started to appear today. Content is a little thin on the ground as it's just a test ahead of the official launch next weekend.

I even made a little video to show the content available today.

https://youtu.be/6KnckxRdsi8
Yes only a test at the moment , available today via On Demand

Sky Cinema Subscribers Pixel and Forrest Gump
All Sky Q Subscribers Big Cats

Sky Sports Subscribers Live Football Liverpool v Barcelona tomorrow 5pm.

I'm pretty impressed with the quality and the downloads are pretty much available to play instantly on my Sky Fibre (38mb).

If the Liverpool game isn't showing in your Sport > Ultra HD section give your box a reboot.

Last edited by muppetman11; 05-08-2016 at 21:08.
Old 06-08-2016, 14:33   #29
Doz007
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Yes only a test at the moment , available today via On Demand

Sky Cinema Subscribers Pixel and Forrest Gump
All Sky Q Subscribers Big Cats

Sky Sports Subscribers Live Football Liverpool v Barcelona tomorrow 5pm.

I'm pretty impressed with the quality and the downloads are pretty much available to play instantly on my Sky Fibre (38mb).

If the Liverpool game isn't showing in your Sport > Ultra HD section give your box a reboot.

Thanks MM, I've rebooted this morning and the UHD Liverpool game is now showing. Roll on 5pm
Old 06-08-2016, 19:11   #30
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
Thanks MM, I've rebooted this morning and the UHD Liverpool game is now showing. Roll on 5pm
Pretty good picture quality as well.