Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Q problems on Watchdog tonight.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Sky Q problems on Watchdog tonight.

Old 29-12-2016, 14:17   #16
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age
Re: Sky Q problems on Watchdog tonight.

I had the Q Hub and Sky Fibre to start with, but the WiFi strength was so poor we needed 2 boosters in what is a relatively small house with low wireless interference. It got so bad we switched provider as Sky couldnt (wouldnt) give us the Max product.

Sky Q's reliance on WiFi and its poor support for Ethernet is its downfall, I even had a tech say to me in my house that WiFi will give a better signal than Ethernet and thats why they decided to push the WiFi option... i was too dumbfounded to even respond. The general attitude I had from 5 different engineers during the past 10 months has been that the product is broken and they are constantly attending fault call outs to "fire fight" problems.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-12-2016, 14:34   #17
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I enabled the power line feature last month and have no issues with WiFi or connection loss anymore.
Old 29-12-2016, 17:35   #18
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I enabled the power line feature last month and have no issues with WiFi or connection loss anymore.
Isn't powerline in general a bit flaky though? all sorts of things interfere with it from microwave ovens to phone chargers ,Sky at the moment cannot support powerline because they cannot get it to work reliably because of the types of devices people have plugged into the sockets ,not to mention the increased use of surge protectors with most modern consumer units
Old 30-12-2016, 09:52   #19
Bircho
cf.addict

Bircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of lightBircho is a glorious beacon of light

So I had Sky Q installed in September. At the end of September I moved from Virgin Broadband to BT Broadband. Had a nightmare with BT Broadband generally - not just with the Sky Q system - caused by that fantastic piece of equipment called the Home Hub 6 which randomly decided to drop wifi signal every 20 minutes or so.

After a battle with BT who told me that I must be lying because their line tests showed that everything was fine, I attached an Archer router and switched off the BT Wifi part of the Hub just using it as a modem.

Reconnected it all myself after a conversation with an excellent guy in Sky Customer Services. Basically connected a loop system using the mni's, switched off the 2.4Ghz band on the mini's and took them out of eco mode.

Things worked fine except on one of my minis which dropped signal occasionally, although nothing like it did previously. I called Sky, they sent out an engineer (although the appointment took 3 weeks), he did some signal tests and fitted a booster box between two minis.

Since then had absolutely no problems and everything has been working fine.

It can be right pain to get it to work but when working it is excellent and, as said, mine is working fine now.
Bircho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 22:49   #20
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I have both my Sky Q 2TB (sited near router) and Sky Q Mini both connected by WiFi and have had very few issues the odd one I did was when we first got it , the numerous updates since have generally resolved these issues for me.

There are still some annoyances such as when watching a box set in UHD it downloads the second episode automatically in HD which really needs sorting.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 22:55   #21
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I have both my Sky Q 2TB (sited near router) and Sky Q Mini both connected by WiFi and have had very few issues the odd one I did was when we first got it , the numerous updates since have generally resolved these issues for me.

There are still some annoyances such as when watching a box set in UHD it downloads the second episode automatically in HD which really needs sorting.
Have you set the default download to UHD?
Old 31-12-2016, 11:20   #22
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Isn't powerline in general a bit flaky though? all sorts of things interfere with it from microwave ovens to phone chargers ,Sky at the moment cannot support powerline because they cannot get it to work reliably because of the types of devices people have plugged into the sockets ,not to mention the increased use of surge protectors with most modern consumer units
Microwaves are more likely to interfere with WiFi.

I've used powerline for years now and had no issues at all. They are shielded and will filter out noise from the circuit pretty well.
Old 16-01-2017, 11:54   #23
kop32
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q Silver, 2 x mini boxes,VM 150mb broadband and VM phone with anytime calls.
kop32 has reached the bronze age
kop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze age

Been a while but here are my views on Sky Q....

Had Sky Q Silver with 2tb main box and two mini boxs installed on June 6th 2016,this was installed using my VM 150mb Broadband and Superhub 3 as the basis for the wireless "mesh" (as Sky call it),in the beginning I had a few issue with connectivity issues but have since learned this was mainly due to the Sky Installers who had only just began installing on third party broadband suppliers.After two visits from one of Sky's 2nd line technicians all these issues have been resolved and combine that with the update to UHD I must say it is now flawless from the connectivity to the overall experience of being able to pause either live broadcasts or recordings and then being able to continue watching in another room or on my tablet from where I left off,the only downside I have seen is Sky's lack of offering deals when you are already on Sky Q,although it is possible!!.The other good news for anyone with connectivity issues is there is an imminent update planned to turn the power cables into power lines which is a nice addition.
kop32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 12:18   #24
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

That powerline update is already on the boxes but currently hidden. I have enabled it on all boxes and also on my Sky q router. Works flawlessly..
Old 16-01-2017, 12:46   #25
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

We've had Sky Q for a while now and in all honesty it suits our house perfectly.

Main Plus points ,
Multi room viewing both on smartphones/tablets and Q Minis.

We make plenty of use from the Sky Sports News and Sky News Sidebar app.

More simultaneous recordings

Very intuitive and easy to use in my opinion

4K content

Negatives
UHD boxsets download next episode in SD despite UHD being set in settings

Had an occasional broadband connectivity warning pop up despite everything being fine at router.

Needs more apps in online section

Last edited by muppetman11; 16-01-2017 at 13:11.
Old 16-01-2017, 16:52   #26
kop32
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q Silver, 2 x mini boxes,VM 150mb broadband and VM phone with anytime calls.
kop32 has reached the bronze age
kop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
That powerline update is already on the boxes but currently hidden. I have enabled it on all boxes and also on my Sky q router. Works flawlessly..
I'll have to wait Stephen as I am using VM Superhub 3
kop32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 18:15   #27
martyh

Quote:
We've had Sky Q for a while now and in all honesty it suits our house perfectly.

Main Plus points ,
Multi room viewing both on smartphones/tablets and Q Minis.

We make plenty of use from the Sky Sports News and Sky News Sidebar app.

More simultaneous recordings

Very intuitive and easy to use in my opinion

4K content

Negatives
UHD boxsets download next episode in SD despite UHD being set in settings

Had an occasional broadband connectivity warning pop up despite everything being fine at router.

Needs more apps in online section
To be honest Sky have issues with their box sets .i have been watching Greys Anatomy with the wife and have found episodes missing ,sound missing from some HD versions but the SD works fine and they don't always download the next episode ready to watch,if they do it's not the correct episode they jump to the next series.However if i download them from the android app on my phone straight to my Qbox the box sets are spot on ,no missing sound and no missing episodes,i would have thought the file would have come from the same download source but obviously not
Old 16-01-2017, 18:19   #28
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

I'd suggest letting them know on the Sky Help Forum usually these things do get rectified if you post there.
Old 16-01-2017, 18:30   #29
martyh

Quote:
I'd suggest letting them know on the Sky Help Forum usually these things do get rectified if you post there.
Yeah i've been meaning to post on there ,trouble with that forum though is i will 25 different answers to the same question