Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Some router recommendations for me please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Some router recommendations for me please

Old 30-04-2006, 15:54   #1
Simcut
Inactive

Services: 120mbit Virgin Media Cable Sky Digital Package (Sky+)
Simcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about them
Some router recommendations for me please

I know there is a thread at the top but that hasnt really helped me a great deal.

I need a a decent router recommendation please, I currently have a Linksys BEFSRV4 which likes throwing me offline and stopping my internet every 3 or 4 hours or so, whic hsi annoying cause I like to leave the pc on overnight to do some downloads which always halt and tend to not start again.

Prior to this I had a Belkin router which was awful, I was only getting 800kb/sec from it at a maximum and it couldnt handle the full 10mbit.

I also have issues with the fact my Linksys router is on the "bad router list" for Bit Torrent (according to the FAQ's I have read!) and the fact that everytime I change a settign it says "network cable unplugged" and then disappears, but this quick message makes my msn disconnect as well as IRC and any downloads I have going.

Please can someone recommend me a router that:

1) can handle my ntl 10mbit broadband
2) wont disconnect me everytime I change settings
3) Is stable and wont keep stopping after a few hours
4) Has decent firmware and is reliable
5) Is WIRED (I dont use Wireless)
6) Is BitTorrent friendly

Hope someone out there can help me? I've wasted about £150 on routers, first off was a wireless one that just didnt work thanks to some interference with the signal which I still havent been able to pinpoint.

I've heard good things about Dlink routers, I've found scan.co.uk are selling some, anyone know if Dlink routers are good or not?

Please help!

Cheers

Simon
Simcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-04-2006, 16:13   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Some router recommendations for me please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simcut
5) Is WIRED (I dont use Wireless)
The price between Wired and Wireless routers now is so negligable its almost worthless getting a Wired router, you might as well get a Wireless one and disable the Wireless as one day you may kick yourself for not having it for one reason or another
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2006, 16:36   #3
Simcut
Inactive

Simcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about them

Well, unfortunately the NTL box goes through the wall of my sister's room so until she moves house im going to have to make do with this damn router....

I've tried Wireless routers before but the signal is really bad...
Old 30-04-2006, 17:05   #4
pedantic
Inactive

Services: O2 standard
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
Send a message via Yahoo to pedantic

I tend to agree with Zeph, although you don't use it at the moment, you may do at a later date. You can still use wires, as well as wireless, that's the beauty of buying one, they're backwards compatible.
pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2006, 17:13   #5
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
I've tried Wireless routers before but the signal is really bad...
In what way? Im using one right now...
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2006, 17:16   #6
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Well, unfortunately the NTL box goes through the wall of my sister's room so until she moves house im going to have to make do with this damn router.... I've tried Wireless routers before but the signal is really bad...
Did you try everything relating to changing channels on wireless etc ?
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2006, 19:23   #7
Shabba

Services: A brew when i shout downstairs

To be honest i'm not that interested at wireless atm but i have had a Linksys BEFSR41 for around two years now that has served three pc's without fault.

Add to that it only cost me around 30 notes brand new - i can't complain.
Old 01-05-2006, 13:09   #8
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabba
To be honest i'm not that interested at wireless atm but i have had a Linksys BEFSR41 for around two years now that has served three pc's without fault.

Add to that it only cost me around 30 notes brand new - i can't complain.
Same here... for wired routers, I would say the Linksys BEFSR41 is the best. currently running 2 desktops, 1 laptop and my Xbox 360 of the router.

@Simcut - have you tried upgrading the firmware to the latest, found here.
Old 21-05-2006, 00:38   #9
Simcut
Inactive

Hiya,

I tried upgrading the firmware.... Im experiencing regular problems and I read up that my current routers (the Linksys) has overheating problems ..... great.