Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TV price rises

Old 23-11-2012, 15:47   #1366
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: TV price rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
That really depends on how you look at it , comparing purely TV a PVR user wanting the top basics pack would have to pay £31.50 for XL and TIVO compared to £36.75 on Sky for Entertainment plus meaning the difference is £5.25 , if the reports are correct and XL TV rises £1.50 in February 13 the difference will come down to £3.75 until Sky review their prices in September 13.
I do agree. Really, it's pointless saying VM charge X for this and VM charge Y. The only way to really do it is to get the total price for all the servces you want and compare the overall price from both Sky and VM.

In my case, doing the above, Sky would cost me £18 per month more than VM.

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickJesus View Post
and the lad made no attempt what so ever to keep my custom. ..... he happily just arranged for my stuff to be collected and called it a day.
Disconnection fatigue maybe?
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-11-2012, 16:54   #1367
noel43
cf.addict

Services: Tivo. XL (tv) L (bb)
noel43 is just really nicenoel43 is just really nicenoel43 is just really nicenoel43 is just really nicenoel43 is just really nicenoel43 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
It is weird. I have Phone XL though. Yours isn't listed and you didn't mention it.

Phone XL sorry missed that out, but when queried price increase XL phone not mentioned.
noel43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 17:42   #1368
iateallthepies
Permanently Banned

iateallthepies is a jewel in the roughiateallthepies is a jewel in the roughiateallthepies is a jewel in the roughiateallthepies is a jewel in the roughiateallthepies is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: TV price rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickJesus View Post
Weirdly I just phoned up to give my 30 days notice to no penalty contract freedom and the lad made no attempt what so ever to keep my custom. Apart from a cursory 'are you ok with not being able to get superfast broadband from Sky' (couldn't seem to comprehend I was already using said superfast broadband whilst I was chatting on the phone, but I let it be), he happily just arranged for my stuff to be collected and called it a day.

I guess they must be getting a fair few of these at the minute?
I rang in Yesterday and moving over to Sky.

Was told a few porkie pies about bits and bobs trying to convince me to stay but I was firm and they allowed my 30 days notice (mid term contract).

Sky Fttc is here soon, are been enable for a while but our cabinet has been troublesome. Sit it out at 16 meg until it comes.

Anythings got to be better than the up and down service i`ve had
iateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 19:31   #1369
Superblade7
cf.geek

Services: Sky Q 2TB & Sky Q Mini (Box Sets with Cinema & Sports HD) with VM VIVID 100Mbps Broadband & M Phone
Superblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

Just received my price rise letter and mine is going up £2.59 for Essential Collection upgraded to XL TV & XL phone plus Sky Premiums with HD.

The letter says 'from 1st Feb 2013*' and the '*' reads on the back 'if you are on a promotional offer we will honour it'. I am currently on a loyalty discount that supposedly lasts for two years from May 2012 and I therefore just wanted to ask (probably you Ben please) whether I will be getting the price rise or not? The letter makes it a little confusing by saying my price is rising but then has a little proviso that it may not. I thought I'd ask on here before I ring VM to save confusing me even more talking to the Indian call centre.

Cheers in advance for any assistance

Superblade7
Superblade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 20:27   #1370
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
You are also aware that this is not an official Virgin Media forum and therefore Virgin Media are not going to take any notice of what goes on here as the is no official representation of the company here in any capacity.
True, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone from their managment has a glance at this forum from time to time. And when they see that complaints on here are heading towards 100 pages, I would have thought that would give them food for thought.

Talking of thoughts one has just occured to me. We've had marketing guff before from the cable company in the run up to Christmas, ie on the 10th day before Christmas they give out a freebie, then on the 9th day another freebie etc. I wonder if something similar may occur here???

Another thought, with these price rises, I wonder if VM are about to roll out tivo to everyone, regardless of whether customers want it or not. Thus they're pricing tivo into packages automatically as well as (hopefully!) some more HD channels too.

These price rises are large and unless VM has something to show for them, then 100 plus pages of complaints on here will turn into some real cancellations.
Old 23-11-2012, 20:37   #1371
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
True, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone from their managment has a glance at this forum from time to time. And when they see that complaints on here are heading towards 100 pages, I would have thought that would give them food for thought.
Possibly. But then don't forget that we as a group probably represent much less than 1% of their subscriber base which, with all due respect to every Forum member on here, ain't really that much
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 21:55   #1372
howardmicks
Inactive

Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal

You wonder with these new price increases are we now finally seeing the results of vm selling there channels off.Now with nothing to barter with vm are left in the hands of channel providers providing channels,Cost`s going up and vm incurring the costs onto us.If this is the case then costs going up to keep channels they currently have then we will certainly have a long wait to see new channels arriving in particular hd which as certainly been the case this year,Its just a thought maybe im wrong but maybe im right
howardmicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 22:14   #1373
Coffeeguy
cf.member

Services: Hub 5 VM 200MB Broadband
Coffeeguy is on a distinguished roadCoffeeguy is on a distinguished road

My 100/10 soon to be 120/12 connection is going up by £2 in price to £30 p/m. I hope that extra £2 p/m will finally pave way for UK manned call centres
Coffeeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 22:18   #1374
pythagoras
cf.addict

pythagoras has reached the bronze age

This latest price rise prompted me to look at the price of an equivalent sky package. Looks like I'll be staying with Virgin media.

Regards

John
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 22:35   #1375
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
This latest price rise prompted me to look at the price of an equivalent sky package. Looks like I'll be staying with Virgin media.

Regards

John
yes when I looked at sky web site it would cost me over £80 a month just for tv for what I got now and that's with only 1 recordable box instead of 2 I got now as got to pay £199 for second recordable box no way would I pay that
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 22:39   #1376
pythagoras
cf.addict

I priced up what was close to my current package, it came to £133.50 a month and a one off payment of £557( which is the real sting in the tail). Thats more storage space with Sky and more channels, but one less recordable tuner and much worse broadband 11-18Mb compared to my 100Mb.

I currently pay £100 and my price will rise to £106 next February. Not worth the switch for me.

Regards

John
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 22:51   #1377
andrewbrown
cf.addict

Services: TiVO, V+, XL TV, L Broadband and Superhub, M Phone
andrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
To be fair, the 90-odd pages on here consists of the 3 price rises (last April, the Sky Sports increase in October, and next years). It's not 100's of pages about 1 increase.

Even more than that, I bet there's no more than 2 dozen posters on the thread. And some of them think that they represent all customers.

Can't be bothered, but I bet that the same people moaning are the same people moaning about last years increase. And if they weren't moaning about this, they'd be moaning about something else. It's quite tedious really.
andrewbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 23:26   #1378
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
I priced up what was close to my current package, it came to £133.50 a month and a one off payment of £557( which is the real sting in the tail)....

carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 04:56   #1379
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Possibly. But then don't forget that we as a group probably represent much less than 1% of their subscriber base which, with all due respect to every Forum member on here, ain't really that much
But l can still hear your voice down here Carl.
Old 24-11-2012, 11:02   #1380
Superblade7
cf.geek

Services: Sky Q 2TB & Sky Q Mini (Box Sets with Cinema & Sports HD) with VM VIVID 100Mbps Broadband & M Phone
Superblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superblade7 View Post
Hi Guys,

Just received my price rise letter and mine is going up £2.59 for Essential Collection upgraded to XL TV & XL phone plus Sky Premiums with HD.

The letter says 'from 1st Feb 2013*' and the '*' reads on the back 'if you are on a promotional offer we will honour it'. I am currently on a loyalty discount that supposedly lasts for two years from May 2012 and I therefore just wanted to ask (probably you Ben please) whether I will be getting the price rise or not? The letter makes it a little confusing by saying my price is rising but then has a little proviso that it may not. I thought I'd ask on here before I ring VM to save confusing me even more talking to the Indian call centre.

Cheers in advance for any assistance

Superblade7
I've managed to answer my own question by ringing the Indian call centre and speaking to 'Bob' who confirmed that the loyalty discount would remain but I am still subject to the price increase.

This is quite annoying as when I agreed the deal in May 2012, I was considering jumping ship to Sky but the retentions guy told me the price would be guaranteed for two years. Since getting this supposedly guaranteed price, I've had the Sky Sports rise (which they blamed on Sky) and then this new rise in Feb 2013. Whilst I am sure Sky did increase the wholesale price for Sky Sports, if I agree a price with VM that they say is guaranteed for 2 years I expect VM to keep to that but instead I feel I have been deceived and now copped for two price rises.

Like others on here, I have just priced up Sky and I potentially could make a good saving on the channels I require. My current package with VM will rise to £97.74 in Feb. With Sky, I could get a package for £87.75.

I therefore have a dilemma, do I jump to Sky and save £10 a month and gain numerous extra HD channels but only have two tuners and an estimated 10 - 15Mb ADSL broadband? Or do I stick with VM as the services have always been reliable and I would miss TiVo, the third tuner and fibre broadband?

I previously had Sky many years ago before I moved into my current home and always thought their TV service was great. However, when I moved into my current home, it was a VM area and the previous owners had VM so it was an easy choice as the points were already installed.

For those who've recently switched to Sky, is it still a good service and what is their phone / broadband service like?

Cheers

Superblade7
Superblade7 is offline   Reply With Quote