Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | DNS Query

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

DNS Query

Old 07-04-2008, 20:02   #1
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light
DNS Query

Regarding the recent scare about some routers having their DNS entries changed, I was wondering about the following.
If you have static IP entries on a PC, including DNS entries, and you also have DNS entries in the router, which one does the PC actually use when doing a lookup?
So, if the router entries were changed, does it matter to the PC?

Thoughts, opinions.......
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2008, 20:07   #2
dev
Inactive

dev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DNS Query

the one on the PC, the router's DNS settings should only be used by a PC when it requests an IP off the router (via DHCP)
dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 14:51   #3
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the quick reply.
Good to know there are always people who know stuff ........
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 15:07   #4
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev View Post
the one on the PC, the router's DNS settings should only be used by a PC when it requests an IP off the router (via DHCP)
Most(if not all routers) will act as a DNS proxy, where the PC uses the router as a DNS server and then the router passses the request on to the ISP(or whatever it's got set as it's DNS addreses. Whether your PC uses the routers DNS proxy depends on if you've got your primary DNS nameserver set to the IP of your router. This is true whether your IP is allocated by DHCP, or you have manually set a static address.

Even on a small home network you should always dns through your router as this can avoid un-necessary DNS lookups, for example I go to news.bbc.co.uk, the router has to pass the query on to external DNS resolution, my partner then goes to news.bbc.co.uk on her PC, this time the router answers the DNS request directly as it already knows the answer.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 15:28   #5
dev
Inactive

dev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
Most(if not all routers) will act as a DNS proxy, where the PC uses the router as a DNS server and then the router passses the request on to the ISP(or whatever it's got set as it's DNS addreses. Whether your PC uses the routers DNS proxy depends on if you've got your primary DNS nameserver set to the IP of your router. This is true whether your IP is allocated by DHCP, or you have manually set a static address.

Even on a small home network you should always dns through your router as this can avoid un-necessary DNS lookups, for example I go to news.bbc.co.uk, the router has to pass the query on to external DNS resolution, my partner then goes to news.bbc.co.uk on her PC, this time the router answers the DNS request directly as it already knows the answer.
i would have thought the router would only be doing the DNS queries if the settings on the PC set it to, i'd hate a router that was intercepting traffic and doing things itself and i know both linksys routers i've had haven't done this.
Old 08-04-2008, 15:50   #6
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Quote:
i would have thought the router would only be doing the DNS queries if the settings on the PC set it to, i'd hate a router that was intercepting traffic and doing things itself and i know both linksys routers i've had haven't done this.
that's what I said.

"Whether your PC uses the routers DNS proxy depends on if you've got your primary DNS nameserver set to the IP of your router"

If your PC(or other TCP/IP device) has it's own DNS servers specified(and the adresses are not that of your router), then your router will play no part in DNS resolution at all.
Old 08-04-2008, 18:09   #7
dev
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
that's what I said.

"Whether your PC uses the routers DNS proxy depends on if you've got your primary DNS nameserver set to the IP of your router"

If your PC(or other TCP/IP device) has it's own DNS servers specified(and the adresses are not that of your router), then your router will play no part in DNS resolution at all.
missed that out ><. So what i said originally was correct. The settings in the router will only be used if you are using DHCP, otherwise setting a static IP requires you to manually put them in, and so the ones you put in will be used.
Old 08-04-2008, 18:42   #8
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Quote:
missed that out ><. So what i said originally was correct. The settings in the router will only be used if you are using DHCP, otherwise setting a static IP requires you to manually put them in, and so the ones you put in will be used.
Yep