Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wi-fi drop off

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wi-fi drop off

Old 02-06-2005, 21:56   #1
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Wi-fi drop off

I wonder if anybody can help.

occasionally while i'm using my connection between my laptop downstairs and my router upstairs (less than 10 metres) it drop the connection and sometime I have to turn off then on my router, to get the connection back.

It also sometimes happens when I take my laptop out of standby.

the kit I use is Belkin DSL router / WAP / PCcard - wi-fi

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2005, 21:57   #2
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Wi-fi drop off

I have to do that with my lap top which is up stairs and my router down stairs
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 21:59   #3
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.ewles
I wonder if anybody can help.

occasionally while i'm using my connection between my laptop downstairs and my router upstairs (less than 10 metres) it drop the connection and sometime I have to turn off then on my router, to get the connection back.

It also sometimes happens when I take my laptop out of standby.

the kit I use is Belkin DSL router / WAP / PCcard - wi-fi
My laptop always takes a few secs to reconnect when coming out of standby. I never have to reboot the router to reconnect though.
Old 02-06-2005, 22:01   #4
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Not a Linksys by any chance?

If it is, try changing the channel that it is operating on. It's probably still set to the default (around 6 or 7 IIRC) try moving to one of the extreme ranges (1 for example) and see if that makes life any better.

You will probably need to re-boot and re-connect the laptop for the changes to take effect.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 22:06   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

ME - the kit I use is Belkin DSL router / WAP / PCcard - wi-fi

RAISTLIN - Not a Linksys by any chance?

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Old 02-06-2005, 22:08   #6
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.ewles
ME - the kit I use is Belkin DSL router / WAP / PCcard - wi-fi

RAISTLIN - Not a Linksys by any chance?
sorry, not been awake very long and still not firing on all cylinders.

Shouldn't make any difference though, have you had a look at the channel/frequency settings on your router to see if they can be changed?

It may be that you are picking up some interference from somewhere, changing the operating frequency usually sorts it.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 22:10   #7
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

let you of then