Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin Router

Old 02-06-2005, 15:15   #1
banjo
Inactive

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of
Belkin Router

Hi,
I have a Belkin wired router model number F-D5230-4 , I have had it for a couple of years and it has been OK but every now and then the transmit and receive amber lights which usually flicker when information is being passed back and forth would lock up, a power down would clear this for perhaps a week but now it is happening perhaps 6 or 8 times a day, I have just rang Belkin and they have said that they will ring me back to try and sort it out.

I have reset the router using the button on the back of it and also updated the firmware but it has locked up again, anyone had the same problems or can help ? Thanks.
banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2005, 18:48   #2
bonzoe
cf.mega poster

bonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud of
Re: Belkin Router

I had the same problems when downloading at 80K, decided it just wasn't up to the job, couldn't be bothered trying Belkin support.

Bought a cheap Netgear on e-bay, no problems downloading at 230K.

Let us know how you get on, good luck!
bonzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 19:42   #3
banjo
Inactive

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzoe
I had the same problems when downloading at 80K, decided it just wasn't up to the job, couldn't be bothered trying Belkin support.

Bought a cheap Netgear on e-bay, no problems downloading at 230K.

Let us know how you get on, good luck!
Thanks for that bonzoe, as you say might be as well to junk it ! but I wouldn't know what to buy as a replacement ?
Old 02-06-2005, 20:18   #4
bonzoe
cf.mega poster

bonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud of

I replaced mine with a Netgear RP614v2, probably not the best, but got it cheap and so far had no problems. There are other versions of Netgear routers and also Linksys, but I have no experience of these.

I'm sure that if you search the forum for routers you will find some useful information
bonzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 00:05   #5
ScaredWebWarrior

Services: NTL Phone/Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo
Hi,
I have a Belkin wired router model number F-D5230-4
<SNIP> anyone had the same problems or can help ? Thanks.
Saidsame self router/switch has served me well for quite some time now - at least 2 years I guess - who's counting?

Sorry, never had the lockup problem as you've described it - my setup runs for months without reset. And then the reset is morelikely due to a cable problem!

That doesn't mean an individual piece of equipment can't be 'faulty' - but it also doesn't mean that cutting and running after Netgear stuff will automatically enhance your networking either.

I hope Belkin help you out.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:27   #6
jonbr
Inactive

Services: DTV (Sky+), DTV (VM), phone, 4Mb BB (wireless)
jonbr is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router (with 4 wired ports). It's run perfectly for a year with no interruption, except when I moved my setup from one room to another.

Which ever you decide to get, buy online, much less expensive.....
jonbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:11   #7
banjo
Inactive

Thank you all for your help, I will wait and see what Belkin say before making a decision.
Old 03-06-2005, 14:19   #8
banjo
Inactive

I have seen this router "LINKSYS BEFSR81" any comments on it and who would be the cheapest dealer to buy it from ? Thanks.
Old 03-06-2005, 14:25   #9
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo
I have seen this router "LINKSYS BEFSR81" any comments on it and who would be the cheapest dealer to buy it from ? Thanks.
Nice little router, but I would recommend the WRT54G, which is wireless but also has 4 wired ports.