Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Comcast to buy Dreamworks Animation

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Evidence on voluntary unemployment in UK

Old 27-04-2016, 10:06   #1
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Evidence on voluntary unemployment in UK

Interesting.

Quote:
In this article, Andrew Dunn presents research which finds that many unemployed people prefer living on benefits to undertaking jobs which would increase their income, but which they consider unattractive.
I'd highly recommend for some historical background from way back when Workers or Shirkers? Ian Hislop's Victorian Benefits.

I think it's fair to say that attitudes to welfare can be too polarised and there's a strong temptation to simplify the issue into those who care and want to help and those evil people, usually Tories, who want to run the poor down when it's really not that simple.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-04-2016, 11:59   #2
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation
Re: Evidence on voluntary unemployment in UK

I remember a letter that appeared in one of the papers a decade or two ago under the heading "Why Work?":

Quote:

I’ll get the dirt over with first, before it’s thrown at me. I am an idler. A parasite. Unpatriotic. OK? Now that I have no secrets, let us begin. I wasn’t made redundant; I gave up work voluntarily. For me, and people like me, the Protestant work ethic never existed. The problem is that to counter this apparently simple choice not to work, we have against us the whole of industrialised western society, and probably the east as well.

“So-and-So is doing well for himself.” That sentence will always ring ominously in my ears. I know then, without a doubt, that I am about to be subjected to a catalogue of some imbecile’s achievements. It’s usually parents, in this case my parents, who take a sadistic pleasure in gleefully reciting the exploits of Mrs Whatsername’s progeny. They appear to be under the impression that the result will be to inspire me to reach the top in the business world. No chance, Ma.

It’s a confusing situation to be in. On the one hand I do want some of the material wealth a steady job could bring. On the other hand I already have some treasure of my own. I have empty tennis courts, long walks, the library, afternoon kips, peace and freedom. I thought for a long time that I was alone with this attitude towards work, success etc. However, on talking to friends I have discovered what could be a whole new social movement. There is a swing towards the opinion that work is for donkeys and cowards. Only fools work voluntarily, all the rest are bribed or black- mailed. As a rough guide I would say that single people are bribed and married people blackmailed.

Let’s look at someone who fits into this world in the way expected of him. Bob is an accounts assistant. For six years he has worked faithfully for his employer, and for what? The commuting is exhausting and he’s always overdrawn at the bank. To live up to the image a young working man is required to present, he is forced to live beyond his means. So why does he do it? He’s not a fool, he’s only like all the others on that morning train; he’s a coward. The consequences of being a non- worker terrify him.

I can only feel sorrow for all those young school-leavers scouring the boards down at the jobcentre. They think a job will be the answer to all their problems. Someone has been misinforming them. Such dreams they have! The money, the friends, the clothes, a car, a flat! I would point out to them the drudgery of clerical work, the agony of labouring, and the unending grind of repetition. Work is not the answer to any problems, not even financial ones.

This may be only sour grapes because I am unemployable. There isn’t a job good enough for me. There isn’t a job good enough for anyone. It never fails to astound me that in this world where so much is possible, and where there is so much to take your breath away, so many are prepared to settle for so little.

It makes my day when I walk down the street on a hot afternoon. There I am in shorts and tee-shirt, and there are the beasts of burden. The men all sweaty in their crumpled suits, and the girls ridiculous in the latest fashion. Go on, buy that new car, get a “nice” home. You’re quite welcome, but it’s not for me.
Makes you think...
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 12:18   #3
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age
Re: Evidence on voluntary unemployment in UK

a friend of a friend (honest he is) works part time, and likes it that way. he doesn't claim any benefits, but he says he gets paid just enough to get by, i.e. rent, bills, and food.

he says he doesn't want to work full time, and he's happy not having much in the way of material goods, when he wants a "new" CD, he happily goes to cash converters, cex, et al, takes in a few, and walks out with something new to him.

other than that he uses the library.

I guess a lot of us, are materialistic, and I guess we're brought up that way, do well at school, you can get a good job, get a nice house etc, and that's what we do, not really "living the dream" but it's what we do.

I suppose some ppl try that, don't succeed and give up, and others are happy living in relative poverty, or accepting handouts, or abusing the system.

I guess like many others, I sacrifice my time mon-fri 9-5 to be able to enjoy my evenings and weekends a little more than I could if I was without a job, but then maybe I'm not enjoying life as much as my friend's friend, or maybe he's putting on a brave face?

But then again, I also resent there's ppl without jobs, or abusing the system, working, and claiming dole, and seemingly living a better quality of live than me, i.e. they have more tv channels, get takeaways all the time etc, but some may argue they "need" those things to make their life bareable?

dunno really I think I'm rambling now I guess I wish I had more money, but I also don't want the stress that a couple of rungs up the career ladder in my line of work would bring, but some ppl like/thrive on that.

good job we're all different
admars is offline   Reply With Quote