Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Are we back to normal?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Are we back to normal?

Old 11-09-2016, 16:56   #16
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Are we back to normal?

Probably signal issues. I get lots of pre as well as post errors, but VM are disinterested.... so probably Richard is just VM "fatigued" by being told everything is "fine". We all go though that phase at one point or another.

I don't know what services Richard has, but I'd recommend getting a cheap freeview box or dongle and that will be much faster than VM. Freeview is my main tv service, that's when I can be bothered to even switch the box on... And the way Freeview is going, it may even have most of the pay tv channels (or Freeview versions of them like Blaze) at some point in the future.

Last edited by Horizon; 11-09-2016 at 16:59.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2016, 17:12   #17
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
How do you expect Virgin to fix the problem if they don't send someone to look at it?

How do you know an engineer cannot do anything? There may be some fault with your connection that the new software is badly affected by that he or she may be able to fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That's just silly, Richard. There is clearly something wrong and it needs fixing.
A VM engineer posted that he gets sent out to replace boxes, but the inherent problem remains or soon returns with the new box.

All that it achieves is losing any recordings already made.

I think that, as the hardware, software and processing power is the same on all boxes, replacing it won't make any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Probably signal issues. I get lots of pre as well as post errors, but VM are disinterested.... so probably Richard is just VM "fatigued" by being told everything is "fine". We all go though that phase at one point or another.

I don't know what services Richard has, but I'd recommend getting a cheap freeview box or dongle and that will be much faster than VM. Freeview is my main tv service, that's when I can be bothered to even switch the box on... And the way Freeview is going, it may even have most of the pay tv channels (or Freeview versions of them like Blaze) at some point in the future.
Yes, it's fair to say that i'm fatigued by the TiVo, which isn't helped when they are now trying to force people to stay with various methods to extend contracts. To me this shows that they know that customers are unhappy if they have to stoop to this behaviour to keep customers.

I've got Freeview built into my TV and a Freesat box* and use these when the TiVo is particularly bad.

* The Freesat cabling needs replacing, so I can only get certain channels at the moment. If I decide to get a Freesat PVR, i'll grit my teeth and use Sky to get it replaced with a one year contract as it'll work out cheaper, particularly as I can sell the box afterwards.

I'm thinking of breaking my contract, thread here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...7#post35858707

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 11-09-2016 at 17:22.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 19:47   #18
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

.... have you done the "channel list" thing, to see what services you use and how often? Ie, keep a diary for a week and list the channels you watch and how long for. Then decide from that whether there are better/cheaper options elsewhere.

Without having to repeat what I've said on other threads in the past, it is very frustrating that the pay-tv companies are not more flexible in the bundles they offer like they are in the States. Or better, in America now some companies are even doing a-la carte options, you chose the bundle of channels you watch.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:57   #19
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Getting in and out of My Recordings still taking far too long... nice blank picture for 8 secs or so after I come out of it fully.
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 15:47   #20
bolgerp
cf.member

bolgerp is an unknown quantity at this point

Well mine has absolutely not improved.. in fact, it seems to have gotten even worse over the last few days. It is painfully slow moving between menus, sometimes taking almost a minute to switch.
bolgerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 16:06   #21
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
.... have you done the "channel list" thing, to see what services you use and how often? Ie, keep a diary for a week and list the channels you watch and how long for. Then decide from that whether there are better/cheaper options elsewhere.

Without having to repeat what I've said on other threads in the past, it is very frustrating that the pay-tv companies are not more flexible in the bundles they offer like they are in the States. Or better, in America now some companies are even doing a-la carte options, you chose the bundle of channels you watch.
Yes, like the average person in the UK, 95% of my viewing is of FTA channels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgerp View Post
Well mine has absolutely not improved.. in fact, it seems to have gotten even worse over the last few days. It is painfully slow moving between menus, sometimes taking almost a minute to switch.
Ditto.
Old 12-09-2016, 16:43   #22
Horizon
Media Watcher

.... I think if 95% of your viewing is with Freeview channels, it looks like you have your answer with what to do with VM tv.
Old 12-09-2016, 17:24   #23
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
.... I think if 95% of your viewing is with Freeview channels, it looks like you have your answer with what to do with VM tv.
..... unless, of course, the 5% is worth what he pays for VM
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 17:49   #24
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I could happily get by with Freeview & Freesat, but if the new TiVo works properly I would happily stay for the six tuners, Wishlists and suggestions (providing the price is reasonable).

Providing me with a bad product and then boxing me in by renewing the contract everytime I sneeze isn't currently doing them any favours though
Old 13-09-2016, 07:36   #25
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I could happily get by with Freeview & Freesat, but if the new TiVo works properly I would happily stay for the six tuners, Wishlists and suggestions (providing the price is reasonable).

Providing me with a bad product and then boxing me in by renewing the contract everytime I sneeze isn't currently doing them any favours though
But then again, every time you cough, there's a price rise. Life has its little compensations....
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 21:43   #26
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Mine is also painfully slow
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 21:45   #27
dodgem22
cf.addict

Services: virgin tv phone and broadband giff gaff mobile
dodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about them

Mine sped up for a bit getting my hope up but they are both now back to being very slow. My freeview box is much much faster.
dodgem22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 17:37   #28
seedybob
cf.member

seedybob is an unknown quantity at this point

Was just on the phone to customer services considering cancelling following the price rise. The guy on the line said to

Press HOME
Press Thumbs Down
Press Thumbs Up
Press Play x twice
your screen goes blank for about 30 seconds then there is an improvement in the speed. Seems marginally better when I tried it. Was told the new V6 box is due in November not that we trust their reliability of information.

Oh and I saved around £23 per month by threatening to quit.
seedybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 17:38   #29
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedybob View Post
Was just on the phone to customer services considering cancelling following the price rise. The guy on the line said to

Press HOME
Press Thumbs Down
Press Thumbs Up
Press Play x twice
your screen goes blank for about 30 seconds then there is an improvement in the speed. Seems marginally better when I tried it. Was told the new V6 box is due in November not that we trust their reliability of information.

Oh and I saved around £23 per month by threatening to quit.
Virgin have acknowledged there is an issue with Tivos now, how is doing the above any different to rebooting the box?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 17:39   #30
seedybob
cf.member

seedybob is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Virgin have acknowledged there is an issue with Tivos now, how is doing the above any different to rebooting the box?
Its only 30 secs to do that, rebooting the box takes about 3 years.
seedybob is offline   Reply With Quote