Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Could MRS & extra boxes be on the way out?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Could MRS & extra boxes be on the way out?

Old 09-10-2016, 22:31   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Could MRS & extra boxes be on the way out?

If the speculation about the new V6 TiVo box is correct, it will be able to stream it's recordings and channels anywhere in the house in the same way as Sky Q.

Do people think that this will mean that there will no longer be a need for Multi Room Streaming (MRS) & 2nd and subsequent TiVo boxes ?

I've read that there has been problems with MRS both in getting it to work at all & channel availability due to legal reasons.

These issues could be avoided with the streaming option, as could be the extra rental/TiVo fees which I now believe to be per box and not account.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2016, 22:54   #2
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Could MRS & extra boxes be on the way out?

You still need an additional STB with Sky Q unless your happy watching on a tablet , the only difference being the additional boxes don't need a satellite input or hard drive they do however need to be connected to your home network.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 22:59   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Thanks, I've never had Sky Q so wasn't aware of how it works exactly.

I think I'd rather watch something in bed on my tablet as it would save money and is easier to watch.

When watching TV in bed I always find that I get uncomfortable after a bit and have to move, sometimes away from the direction of the TV!

A tablet can just be moved with me as required.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:09   #4
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

With Sky Q you have to pay £12 per month for "Multiscreen", which allows you to watch on phones and tablets and comes with one "free" Mini box to put somewhere in your house. If you want more Minis they cost £99 each, one-time-charge.

You can have up to 4 Minis, but you can "only" be watching on:

- Your main TV
- plus 2 Minis
- plus 2 Tablets
- plus recording on up to 4 channels

at the same time.

You cannot watch on 3 Minis and 1 Tablet or visa-versa.

For some obscure reason Sky Multiscreen is also required to unlock UHD. ???
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 13:15   #5
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong1 View Post
With Sky Q you have to pay £12 per month for "Multiscreen", which allows you to watch on phones and tablets and comes with one "free" Mini box to put somewhere in your house. If you want more Minis they cost £99 each, one-time-charge.

You can have up to 4 Minis, but you can "only" be watching on:

- Your main TV
- plus 2 Minis
- plus 2 Tablets
- plus recording on up to 4 channels

at the same time.

You cannot watch on 3 Minis and 1 Tablet or visa-versa.

For some obscure reason Sky Multiscreen is also required to unlock UHD. ???
Ah, that's where the extra charge for UHD comes in! I didn't think Sky would miss a trick! Hopefully, VM will not charge extra for UHD channels...
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 14:36   #6
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Ah, that's where the extra charge for UHD comes in! I didn't think Sky would miss a trick! Hopefully, VM will not charge extra for UHD channels...
It'll just be hidden in their XL pricing just like HD was, at least SKY and BT were upfront about the extra HD cost unlike con artist vm.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote