Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 29-07-2015, 17:38   #1021
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
mmm Den a lot at stake 'softly softly catchy monkey'. I was all for it, but then the doubts started creeping in. Too many unanswered questions.
I volunteer Den do our trial. Then if it all goes pear shaped and can't be reversed he'll know why we were cautious...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-07-2015, 17:41   #1022
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
I volunteer Den do our trial. Then if it all goes pear shaped and can't be reversed he'll know why we were cautious...
Well l can't as nothing is showing up at the moment.
Old 29-07-2015, 17:44   #1023
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I wouldn't have it as my main OS for at least 6 months. Needs to have a proper shake down first to get the bugs out and allow the registry hacks to be established. Got to be able to get rid of the worst of the frippery and undesirable behaviour.
Old 29-07-2015, 18:04   #1024
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I wouldn't have it as my main OS for at least 6 months. Needs to have a proper shake down first to get the bugs out and allow the registry hacks to be established. Got to be able to get rid of the worst of the frippery and undesirable behaviour.
I have been using it on my main pc for a while now and i push my pc. Its been rock solid.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 18:05   #1025
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

For Cortana it seems u have to have a seperate microphone as i cannot get the one built to my webcam to work.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 18:11   #1026
dave6x
Inactive

Services: VM BBL 3Mb> 10Mb> 20Mb> 30Mb> 50Mb> 70Mb
dave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Fully agree, would never have any previous M$ OS before SP1 (well Win8 was 8.1) and intend to let the dust settle on Win 10 before it goes on the family PC. Will give it a go on my Win 7 lappy in about a month then hopefully I'll have the answers for my other half when I put it on Family desktop PC and she says "how do I do this?" or "It won't do that." etc!!!
dave6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 18:45   #1027
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
For Cortana it seems u have to have a seperate microphone as i cannot get the one built to my webcam to work.
It works with my Logitech webcam, I think I just had to tell it to use it when I first open Cortana.

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:43 ----------

For all you guys pondering whether to install it, there is no rush you have 12 months to do it before you lose the free option.

I have run it for a good few months now and it has been rock solid here.
Old 29-07-2015, 19:07   #1028
multiskilled
cf.geek

Services: Player tv , V6, phone l, bb 100Meg.
multiskilled has reached the bronze age
multiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze age

Just updated on my pc, took about an hour though I didn't time it. No obvious problems.

Should be fun and games when other half goes on as she has just got used to 8.1.
Old 29-07-2015, 19:36   #1029
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well l can't as nothing is showing up at the moment.
if you use the media creator tool you get option to update pc now or create media so you can get it now
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 19:38   #1030
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

l think given the foreboding's of some on this thread perhaps the wisest idea is to wait.
Old 29-07-2015, 19:39   #1031
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

So upgraded both pc's now to Windows 10.

M-ITX Lan/Media Server rig has Windows 10 Home

Main Gaming PC has Windows 10 Pro so happy about that.

Just doing a back up now of my main pc as that is the only one with a DVD drive in it, and then I am going to try a clean install using the Windows 10 Pro ISO that I am creating at the moment.

If it doesn't work with either the Windows 8 Pro key or the one that I have got from Magic Jelly Bean then I don't, know how I am going to be able to do a clean install in the future when I need to.

**Update**

Done a fresh install using the Windows 8 key, and the one from Magic Jelly Bean and both keys are not being activated, I cannot even change the product key within windows because it says my Windows 8 key is not valid even though I have already used it to upgrade to Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I wonder if Microsoft will ever launch a version of windows without issues like this, as its always the same pos service from them.

1st blocking legit keys, then telling you that your key is not valid after telling you twice that it is and then telling you that you have to buy a new key even though it will activate when upgrading but not when you try to do a clean install even though they say it should.
Old 29-07-2015, 20:46   #1032
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
So upgraded both pc's now to Windows 10.

M-ITX Lan/Media Server rig has Windows 10 Home

Main Gaming PC has Windows 10 Pro so happy about that.

Just doing a back up now of my main pc as that is the only one with a DVD drive in it, and then I am going to try a clean install using the Windows 10 Pro ISO that I am creating at the moment.

If it doesn't work with either the Windows 8 Pro key or the one that I have got from Magic Jelly Bean then I don't, know how I am going to be able to do a clean install in the future when I need to.
if you upgraded and it activated you should be fine with clean install with magic jelly bean key
Old 29-07-2015, 21:01   #1033
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

The fresh install would not accept the Windows 8 key but it accepted the one from Magic Jelly Bean but it will not activate using it, and I cannot change the key either.

It's just pathetic that they seem to have killed off doing fresh installs going by what I am seeing here, and have been seeing since 9am this morning trying to get both machines to have clean install on them.

Currently on the phone with Microsoft once again.

**Edit**

They just hung up on me again. that is the 9th time today they have hung up on me when trying to transfer me or claiming they cannot hear what I am saying when I am trying my hardest not to loose my cool with them since they cannot understand the difference between the numbers "2" & "3".
Old 29-07-2015, 21:02   #1034
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
The fresh install would not accept the Windows 8 key but it accepted the one from Magic Jelly Bean but it will not activate using it, and I cannot change the key either.

It's just pathetic that they seem to have killed off doing fresh installs going by what I am seeing here, and have been seeing since 9am this morning trying to get both machines to have clean install on them.

Currently on the phone with Microsoft once again.
did you use Microsoft account of local one
Old 29-07-2015, 21:08   #1035
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Anyone who is currently on build 10240 as an insider doesn't need to upgrade today as we already have the latest.

When I want to get my free invite after I reinstall 8.1, how long does it take for the invite app to show up or can I just manually install that if I find out the update number?