Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 04-02-2015, 14:16   #271
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Windows 7 DVD and repair CD just don't see my hard disks (SATA), Linux has no worries. Windows 7 is running fine but I don't have a floppy for drivers. Can Win10 work without fuffing around? Can Win 10 go into my old Win 7 RC partition and dual boot to Win 7.

Normally I boot to GRUB2 on the second HD that can load Win 7 or Linux and I did have Windows "loader" of the first HD but that's got broken and I can't repair it (see above).

So what I'd want to do is
1)In BIOS switch boot order to 1st HD (after DVD)
2)Install Win 10 over Win 7 RC and have it repair the boot on HD1 to switch between 7 and 10

Thus
Boot HD1 -> Windows menu (7 and 10)
Boot HD2 (normal) -> GRUB2 menu including Windows -> Windows menu (7 and 10)

Will this work?
Old 04-02-2015, 15:37   #272
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Windows 7 DVD and repair CD just don't see my hard disks (SATA), Linux has no worries. Windows 7 is running fine but I don't have a floppy for drivers. Can Win10 work without fuffing around? Can Win 10 go into my old Win 7 RC partition and dual boot to Win 7.
Windows 10, like all updated installers, has improved driver support for more recent drives and controllers. It can handle many SATA chipsets that Win7 couldn't but whether that includes yours we cannot say without knowing what yours actually is.

Quote:
I did have Windows "loader" of the first HD but that's got broken and I can't repair it (see above).
If you can boot any copy of Windows you can run the same repair from inside Windows itself.

Quote:
Thus
Boot HD1 -> Windows menu (7 and 10)
Boot HD2 (normal) -> GRUB2 menu including Windows -> Windows menu (7 and 10)

Will this work?
Unless you install four copies of Windows, no this will not work. Windows will not automatically manage bootloader entries on any drive except the one it is started from. If you install Windows 10 on HD1, you will not see a boot menu entry for it on HD2 unless you add it manually.

There are command line tools you can use to manipulate both the bootloader and boot configuration data by hand, but they are not the easiest things to work with, and IIRC they changed something between Windows 7 and Windows 8 that makes it a mess to combine.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 17:38   #273
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Lucky you. Three laptops here and all of them have connection problems when resumed after standby. Then again, they are all using the same Intel driver which wasn't designed for Windows 10.

Aside from minor interface bugs, the other half of the issues seem to stem from lack of driver availability. And this god-awful half-combo of traditional Win7 control panel and Win 8 settings panel.
Ahh, the joys of beta testing software.. Yep, I've beta tested a few OSes and every time I've had problems with drivers not being updated.

My experience with Windows 10? Installed it on a few VMs and it runs fine. Installed it to a VHD on my machine, then booted the machine from that VHD, and it booted twice. Now all I get is a black screen when I start it.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 18:32   #274
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Windows 10 Technical Preview Update Rollup: February 4, 2015

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3036140?wa=wsignin1.0
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 18:35   #275
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Indeed. At least it's mostly compatible with Win8/8.1 drivers and these issues are likely to be fixed before launch - unlike Vista where drivers weren't updated until a year after it went public!

That said, I also ran the developer preview of Windows 8 before it came out, and I had far fewer issues, I'd say that was a much better overall experience as well even considering the parts that worked as intended. I actually liked the Windows 8 preview and it frustrated me far less.

Incidentally I'm finding Windows 10 uses about 20-40% more power while idling on several laptops, which puts it back on par with Windows XP level power drain. Not particularly unexpected considering the mass of missing drivers...
Old 04-02-2015, 20:03   #276
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

I did the 8 before release and it was awful, bought it for the cheap price and couldn't get on with it and went back to 7. Now I like 8 and am sorely tempted to just download the 10 ISO file on release to get it free and then try it out once proper release comes along.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 15:27   #277
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Microsoft are said to be targeting June 2015 for RTM of Windows 10.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-1...-is-the-target
Old 18-03-2015, 10:49   #278
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Windows 10 Launching This Summer in 190 Countries and 111 Languages

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...111-languages/

Microsoft says pirated versions of Windows will also get a free upgrade to Windows 10

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsof...medium=twitter
Old 18-03-2015, 11:19   #279
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Wow am surprised at the non genuine copies getting upgraded but it makes sense if the update is free.
Old 18-03-2015, 11:26   #280
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Very big strategy change for Microsoft but I can see where they're coming from.
Old 18-03-2015, 12:14   #281
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

It will annoy the people that bought windows legally.
Old 18-03-2015, 12:17   #282
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I bought Windows 8.1 legally a few weeks ago because I needed an upgrade from 7 and couldn't be bothered waiting for 10.

I'm not annoyed at all.
Old 18-03-2015, 12:44   #283
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
It will annoy the people that bought windows legally.
it will kill off the pirates too surely that's a good thing
Old 18-03-2015, 13:17   #284
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

It will for the first year while it is free for windows 7-8 users, however XP users and the period after 12mths would still get pirated.
Old 18-03-2015, 14:11   #285
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

I have only just upgraded to windows 8.1.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote