Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 24-03-2015, 08:27   #1411
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Amazon fire stick launched £19 for Prime members for 2 days only.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294
Advertisement
Old 24-03-2015, 09:55   #1412
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post

Its saying £35 for me , as I'm already a prime member I'm not sure I qualify as it seems to be aimed at encouraging people to take Prime.
Old 24-03-2015, 09:57   #1413
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Its saying £35 for me , as I'm already a prime member I'm not sure I qualify as it seems to be aimed at encouraging people to take Prime.
Underneath the £35 it should also say £7 if you sign up to prime and £19 if you already have prime.
Old 24-03-2015, 10:09   #1414
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
Underneath the £35 it should also say £7 if you sign up to prime and £19 if you already have prime.
Cheers just ordered one , when I got to checkout it listed it as £19.

Many thanks for the heads up Passingbat.
Old 24-03-2015, 11:20   #1415
tassiekev
Inactive

tassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post

Thanks
Old 24-03-2015, 18:05   #1416
tassiekev
Inactive

tassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the rough

Amazon Fire TV (& Stick) improvements:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/03/fir...source=mainrss
Old 24-03-2015, 20:09   #1417
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

If you get Fire TV, be careful. It was said on TV this morning that Fire TV has the same technology as the Samsung Smart TV's ie it can eavesdrop on your conversations and send them back to the manufacturer!!
Old 24-03-2015, 20:18   #1418
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
If you get Fire TV, be careful. It was said on TV this morning that Fire TV has the same technology as the Samsung Smart TV's ie it can eavesdrop on your conversations and send them back to the manufacturer!!
Well, what do you know; Amazon seem to even include that feature in their adverts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjTNLCL0J2Q
Old 24-03-2015, 20:33   #1419
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

That's how the voice commands work, same as Siri, Cordana and Google Now.

If it listens when you don't ask it to, then that would be a problem.
Old 24-03-2015, 21:04   #1420
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
If it listens when you don't ask it to, then that would be a problem.
Is there a possibility of that happening?
Old 24-03-2015, 21:21   #1421
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Is there a possibility of that happening?
The firetv stick remote does not have voice control, only the firetv box remote has it.
I don't use the voice control myself as i don't sub to Amazon instant video. Also to use voice control you need to hold down the mic button whilst talking.
I've used it in the past and no men in black suites have visited yet anyway lol.
Old 25-03-2015, 18:17   #1422
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Here's a question for everyone, but maybe theone2k10 will be able to respond more accurately. It's £33 a month for TV XL standalone with TiVo, now that obviously gives you a lot of channels, most of which imo are a load of total tosh, and I only watch a handful of what's on offer, anyway back to the question.
Does anyone think it would be more beneficial to drop the Virgin TV package and take on more streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime etc? It does seem to me that in doing so it would be quite a bit cheaper than the £33 for the XL package, iirc Netflix is approx £6 per month and I'm not so sure about Amazon Prime but I wouldn't think it would be that much more than Netflix.
So if you had both of these services at the same time, I'm thinking that it would more than keep you satisfied with the channels that they offer at a fraction of the cost.
Thoughts?
I decided to cancel VM TV and Phone after 25+years and just keep the BB. I found 90% of what i watched and 100% of what the wife watched was on Freeview.
I also have Netflix and Prime, which i had anyway so i was paying at least £74 for VM services (not including phone calls), plus the streaming services.

When i cancelled VM they offered me 50Mb BB for £19.50 for 18 months, very happy with that price.
The only thing that i'd miss was The Walking Dead but as chromecast had a free 3 month offer for NowTV i grabbed that. Game sell 3 month passes for NowTV entertainment for £15, so i'll get those.

I am pleasantly surprised at the amount of channels on Freeview and although there was a hefty set-up cost (£300) as i didn't have an aerial and wanted a recordable box i'll be saving over £54 a month.

I find more to watch on Prime and Netflix than i ever did on my cable package.
Old 25-03-2015, 18:29   #1423
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

All 5 Seasons of 'Friday Night Lights' added to Netflix UK today.
Old 25-03-2015, 18:46   #1424
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
I decided to cancel VM TV and Phone after 25+years and just keep the BB. I found 90% of what i watched and 100% of what the wife watched was on Freeview.
I also have Netflix and Prime, which i had anyway so i was paying at least £74 for VM services (not including phone calls), plus the streaming services.

When i cancelled VM they offered me 50Mb BB for £19.50 for 18 months, very happy with that price.
The only thing that i'd miss was The Walking Dead but as chromecast had a free 3 month offer for NowTV i grabbed that. Game sell 3 month passes for NowTV entertainment for £15, so i'll get those.

I am pleasantly surprised at the amount of channels on Freeview and although there was a hefty set-up cost (£300) as i didn't have an aerial and wanted a recordable box i'll be saving over £54 a month.

I find more to watch on Prime and Netflix than i ever did on my cable package.
I'm going to comment on here for mad Max just in case my post in other thread gets removed for me Netflix, wwe network, smart DNS with my broadband and phone cists about £56 a month. I save a bit more dye to not needing a TV licence as I only watch on demand content nowadays. I don't have so much as a Ariel connected to my TV. My bb costs the mist but it is 71mbs download and 18/4mbs upload. I'm paying approxamly £27 a month less than the equivalent services would cost with VM. If you hardly watch tvvthen in demand certainly is the better option. As for sport if you can't get a USA provider login there are alternative methods which I can't discuss here obviously lol. But any legit on demand questions I will be more than happy to help as much as I can. My on demand help or streaming help is open to all BTW lol.
Old 25-03-2015, 19:08   #1425
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
I'm going to comment on here for mad Max just in case my post in other thread gets removed for me Netflix, wwe network, smart DNS with my broadband and phone cists about £56 a month. I save a bit more dye to not needing a TV licence as I only watch on demand content nowadays. I don't have so much as a Ariel connected to my TV. My bb costs the mist but it is 71mbs download and 18/4mbs upload. I'm paying approxamly £27 a month less than the equivalent services would cost with VM. If you hardly watch tvvthen in demand certainly is the better option. As for sport if you can't get a USA provider login there are alternative methods which I can't discuss here obviously lol. But any legit on demand questions I will be more than happy to help as much as I can. My on demand help or streaming help is open to all BTW lol.

Thanks for your reply and Johnathomes reply also, it certainly gives me food for thought, that's for sure.
Closed Thread