Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Stopping smoking support.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Stopping smoking support.

Old 25-12-2012, 14:34   #676
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Stopping smoking support.

I hit four years without cigarettes about a week ago
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-12-2012, 15:14   #677
Will21st
Inactive

Services: XL Tv,100MB,M Phone.
Will21st has reached the bronze age
Will21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I hit four years without cigarettes about a week ago
well done mate!
Will21st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 15:19   #678
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

I had previously quit for 3 years, around this time then about 6 months ago i began smoking again, now i haven't smoked for 6 days as im trying to stop again as i believe what is the point in smoking.

After just 6 days i can really notice the difference in how i feel, my apatite has improved, my insomnia has gone, my breathing has improved, the colour of my skin has improved, although i am getting cravings i feel im strong enough to overcome them, they last sometimes a couple of minutes and can be quite strong.

I believe i dont need any support like patches or gum and really would encourage others to at least try, and dont be so weak, dont let those small cravings bring you down.

If those cravings become over powing, try to make yourself busy, cleaning the house or doing some DIY it always helps.

I believe its never too late to stop smoking.

20 minutes: Your blood pressure and pulse rate return to normal

8 hours: Oxygen levels in your blood return to normal.

24 hours: Carbon monoxide has been eliminated from your body. Your lungs start to clear out mucus and other smoking debris.

48 hours: There is no nicotine left in your body. Your ability to taste and smell is greatly improved.

72 hours: Breathing becomes easier. Your bronchial tubes begin to relax and your energy levels increase.

2-12 weeks: Circulation improves throughout the body, making walking and running a whole lot easier.

3-9 months: Coughs, wheezing and breathing problems get better as your lung function is increased by up to 10%.

5 years: Heart attack falls to about half that of a smoker.

10 years: Risk of lung cancer falls to half that of a smoker. Risk of heart attack falls to same as someone who has never smoked.

15 years: Your risk of heart disease is now the same as someone who doesn't smoke.

15-20 years: risks of all other diseases are almost that of a non smoker.

Not just that you'll notice the extra cash in your wallet...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 18:55   #679
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

I gave up smoking almost 30 years ago and have lived to be the old curmudgeon. Something that I am certain I wouldn't have done had I not decided my life was worth more than my addiction to nicotine.

Well done everyone who kicked the habit and I give my promise to help and encourage anyone else who decides to do the same.
Old 28-12-2012, 15:35   #680
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

new anti smoking ad - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIyqcST29wQ

thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 06:41   #681
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Finally grew a pair and decided to stop tonight, Been about 2 hours since my last smoke but my life demands this change.

I work in Door Supervision and Close Protection which is naturally physically demanding and I really want to get into shape more. I have smoked for about 4-5 years and had no problems with the sports I took part in whilst being a smoker (MMA & Football) But as soon as I moved into Security I just dropped the sports and lazed about whilst not working. I used to be able to run as far as I needed and at a good pace but now I just feel empty after about 1/2 a mile.

Hoping if I bin the smoking I can breathe fresh air into my lungs and get back into shape and possibly look at getting back into a sport.

Going cold-turkey so hoping if I concentrate on my goal my mind will stay set.

Still haven't smoked since this post, almost bought one of those E-cig's after a few weeks though but decided against it. Noticed a hefty chunk of money building up too
Old 29-01-2013, 06:47   #682
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Still haven't smoked since this post, almost bought one of those E-cig's after a few weeks though but decided against it. Noticed a hefty chunk of money building up too
Well done

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 14:15   #683
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Another cold turkey graduate here as well adzii_nufc so congratulations as I know from experience it takes a lot of will power to get this far.
Old 29-01-2013, 14:21   #684
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

It's 7 days in for me, I'm on patches to start with. No sure whats worse smoking or the heaviest sleep pattern with the most vivid dreams ever experienced in all my life. It is quite disturbing.

Still, will cut down on the patches from tomorrow and see how it goes. I'm still positive and already noticed the difference in the mornings.
Old 29-01-2013, 14:25   #685
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Well done all

Nearing 6 months without a fag here. I'm still using my electronic cigarette, but it hasn't contained any nicotine in about 4 months. It doesn't make much sense I'm still using my ecig, but I'm not too bothered with it. I'm not smoking and not using nicotine
Old 29-01-2013, 14:52   #686
joglynne
Born again teenager.

I am sooo proud of you guys. It takes a lot to give up smoking and you are all doing so well. Do whatever you need to help you give up because in the long term you will all be non-smokers and better off in so many ways.
Old 29-01-2013, 15:12   #687
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

well done all, keep it up. be somewhat proud of your bodies too. its yours, look after it
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 15:22   #688
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
well done all, keep it up. be somewhat proud of your bodies too. its yours, look after it
I wouldn't go that far..... I'm grateful that I'm not a dog or a horse.

I'm just doing it to make the mornings a lot easier to deal with. Basically the damage from smoking is the least of my worries now as I ain't expected to get anywhere near pension age.

Saying that, knowing my luck I'd end up beating that and then end up getting every smoking related disease there is.
Old 29-01-2013, 15:27   #689
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Well done
What he said.........
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 15:35   #690
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I wouldn't go that far..... I'm grateful that I'm not a dog or a horse.

I'm just doing it to make the mornings a lot easier to deal with. Basically the damage from smoking is the least of my worries now as I ain't expected to get anywhere near pension age.

Saying that, knowing my luck I'd end up beating that and then end up getting every smoking related disease there is.
Every little thing that you can do all adds up peanut. I beat the odds, still surviving and determined to enjoy my life for as long as possible.

Never give in, do what you have to and cherish what you have. That's my mantra and it's what keeps me going.