Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Stopping smoking support.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Stopping smoking support.

Old 29-05-2011, 19:47   #586
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Stopping smoking support.

The real issue is that you must really,really want to give up.If your heart isn't in it then you will have a much harder time attempting to.

So why are you trying.What are the reasons?Are you doing it because others expect you to?

You really need to write out the pros and cons of why you are giving up and be totally honest with yourself.Of course you may be just a rather more addicted addict..In which case maybe going to some sort of group therapy might be more effective for you.
Old 29-05-2011, 21:58   #587
Caff
I'm a geek???

Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze
Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post
Caff, stick with it - it's worth the effort.

It may be the case that you're trying "too" hard if you're using all those crutches.

My experience has been to stick to one nicotine replacement only. I followed the patches course rigourously and am still nicotine free today.
Thanks Big Man - you seem to be yet another crutch - but I WILL get there. I expect you're quite right on the following instructions thing - I think I smoke too much for patches etc to help me too much but I WILL get there.

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
The real issue is that you must really,really want to give up.If your heart isn't in it then you will have a much harder time attempting to.

So why are you trying.What are the reasons?Are you doing it because others expect you to?

You really need to write out the pros and cons of why you are giving up and be totally honest with yourself.Of course you may be just a rather more addicted addict..In which case maybe going to some sort of group therapy might be more effective for you.
Done all of that Maggie. And I am determined. All I need to do now is lose my family
Old 29-05-2011, 22:04   #588
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caff View Post
Thanks Big Man - you seem to be yet another crutch - but I WILL get there. I expect you're quite right on the following instructions thing - I think I smoke too much for patches etc to help me too much but I WILL get there.

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

Done all of that Maggie. And I am determined. All I need to do now is lose my family
No you need to make it clear to your family what you want to achieve and why.The main way to win them over is by how much money you can save for things like iPads etc
Old 29-05-2011, 22:10   #589
Caff
I'm a geek???

Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze
Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
No you need to make it clear to your family what you want to achieve and why.The main way to win them over is by how much money you can save for things like iPads etc
I think one of the best aids is going to be the .com that Mr A used/uses. In the mean time I'll grab all the help I can get. Unfortunately (?) I don't need to think of saving for anything - I just need to get healthier and pack up my filthy habit. Thank you so much for your response. They can get their own iPads
Old 30-05-2011, 00:07   #590
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

I'm posting this an ex-smoker, not an anti-smoker because I empathise with anyone trying to quit.

My eldest (9yrs) had a sleepover at her friends last night. When she came home this morning there wasn't an item she'd taken with her that wasn't reeking of smoke.

That was only one night.!!! and only the Mum smokes.

We didn't say anything to her but she actually asked for Maxi ( her favourite Teddy) to be washed tonight. We've usually got to endure a couple of tantrums before we can get him near a washing machine!

I know it's not much more of an incentive, but as one tobbaco pusher says - every little helps
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 14:28   #591
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

You are in the worst place now.

It will get easier with every passing day.

Keep it up Caff. We are all hoping and praying for you to succeed.

You can do it!!!!!
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 15:27   #592
Caff
I'm a geek???

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonRoad View Post
I'm posting this an ex-smoker, not an anti-smoker because I empathise with anyone trying to quit.

My eldest (9yrs) had a sleepover at her friends last night. When she came home this morning there wasn't an item she'd taken with her that wasn't reeking of smoke.

That was only one night.!!! and only the Mum smokes.

We didn't say anything to her but she actually asked for Maxi ( her favourite Teddy) to be washed tonight. We've usually got to endure a couple of tantrums before we can get him near a washing machine!

I know it's not much more of an incentive, but as one tobbaco pusher says - every little helps
Thank you for your resdponse.
I should be more motivated on the money side but I'm not but I'll still use Mr A's .com.
It's the stink/health side that bothers me more. Why anyone would consider kissing me is beyond belief.
Round 3...

---------- Post added at 15:27 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
You are in the worst place now.

It will get easier with every passing day.

Keep it up Caff. We are all hoping and praying for you to succeed.

You can do it!!!!!
Thank you for that.
First 24 hours are easy...
Old 30-05-2011, 18:25   #593
sczoo19
Inactive

Services: Broadband, Forums
sczoo19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Just a quick comment, Good luck to all who are trying to kick the habit of smoking!
I am too in this stage... I watched a documentary on Channel 4 the other night, and they said that there's over 4000 chemicals in 1 cigarette :O, If your health conscious like myself this should make you think twice, if your gym go-ers then you will have alot more energy on a day to day basis.

sczoo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 16:36   #594
Caff
I'm a geek???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sczoo19 View Post
Hi all,

Just a quick comment, Good luck to all who are trying to kick the habit of smoking!
I am too in this stage... I watched a documentary on Channel 4 the other night, and they said that there's over 4000 chemicals in 1 cigarette :O, If your health conscious like myself this should make you think twice, if your gym go-ers then you will have alot more energy on a day to day basis.

We'll get there matey - I'll race ya to the finish line
Superbiatch and MrA and others have given so much good advice here - it'll take take a while to read through it all but it's worth it.
Old 01-06-2011, 19:52   #595
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

hi all,
in the immortal words of those naughty dragons: i'll tell you where i am'.
i gave up some 6yrs ago and i lasted 8months,my downfall was a smoke in the pub having a drink on the birth of my youngest daughter.
i now smoke between 15-20 roll-ups a day.
a couple of times just lately ive been coughing like mad when ive just got into bed,the rattle is there when i breath in but wont loosen when i cough,its awful.
ive determined to do it again (went cold turkey last time) and have made an app with the GP for tomorrow,champix sound favourite.
i must echo the sentiments in previous posts refering to seeing your kids/grandkids do things in their later lives,this is one of my biggest motivators (apart from my health).
my two daughters are 6 & 8 and my grandkids are 2 & 5 (i know!) so ive all the motivation i need.
echoing again other posts i put on 3 stone in the first 3 months last time so im going to have to keep a close eye on the munchies,but the want and determination are there so im just gonna go and do it!
finally,very very well done to everybody who's related their experiences on this thread and please keep coming back with your happy stories and timestamps/money saved etc.

p.s. funny,i was having a bifta when i started reading this thread!
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 20:06   #596
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Hi there on in an hour, funny how that doesn't look right in a sentence. Good luck with the Doctors tomorrow, let us know how you go on and what date you decide to be a non-smoker.

You know someone will be knocking around the forum for nearly 24/7 so once you have had you last roll-up there should be someone about who can cheer you on in the early stages. Even having somewhere that you can have a good old grump at can some times relieve the tension.
Old 01-06-2011, 20:54   #597
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

I was getting through a half ounce of Old Holborn a day when I gave up. Must be sometime between 10 and 15 years ago now.

Anyway, just to say I went cold turkey and found it to be easier than I thought it would be. Kinda like the dentist in that the dread of it is usually worse than the experience. I put on a few stone too but have it under control these days.

So long as you get your head straight about giving up because you want to you will be fine. If you start thinking about giving up because you have to then it may be harder or you may fail.

Go for it, Im' sure you will find it easier than you think it will be and everyone here will be behind you.
Old 02-06-2011, 17:26   #598
sczoo19
Inactive

Services: Broadband, Forums
sczoo19 is an unknown quantity at this point

I gave in this morning and had 1 fag and I couldn't even finish it I started to get light headed, this has no thrown me right off
sczoo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 18:32   #599
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Quote:
I gave in this morning and had 1 fag and I couldn't even finish it I started to get light headed, this has no thrown me right off
That's a shame.
Old 02-06-2011, 18:47   #600
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Not sure if you mean you have started smoking again or if having had one cigarette has upset your resolve to give up.

I sincerely hope that it's just your resolve that has taken a beating, if so, then give yourself a break. Giving up is hard so take a deep breath and accept that you are human not superman. Try not to have another ciggy, remember that light-headed feeling, well your body has got used to cleaner air and you just felt the effects of stuffing your lungs full poisons.

If you have actually thrown in the towel then there's not a lot we can do to help you until you decide that you are strong enough to try again. At least try to keep your smoking in control and try to restrict how much you smoke.

Either way we are here, a quick skim through the thread will highlight the members who are here to give support and advise. Use a PM to one of them if you want to talk in private.