Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Snow !

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Snow !

Old 19-12-2010, 17:34   #1996
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Snow !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Not unless they've made it an offence in the last couple of days without telling anyone.

http://local.stv.tv/cumbernauld/news...of-and-bonnet/

but if you extract the urine you can be dealt with in a suitable manner.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-12-2010, 17:53   #1997
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Well on saturday I just cleaned the windows and lights, I didn't go fast enough for the snow to come of the car. Some drivers didn't even clean indicators.
Old 19-12-2010, 18:29   #1998
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvvee View Post
I also have mutch snoww and it will snowing and snowing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Where is that?
I believe that is in Germany somewhere...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 21:44   #1999
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Not unless they've made it an offence in the last couple of days without telling anyone.

http://local.stv.tv/cumbernauld/news...of-and-bonnet/

So as with most things its not a specific offence but if you extract the urine you can be dealt with in a suitable manner.
The was an idiot in Tesco today with snow on his roof and bonnet that covered his indicators and headlights, now if that is not an offence I am at a loss.

Also if you have a mound of snow around 8/10 inches deep on the bonnet and similar on the roof that has to be either dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 22:27   #2000
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

From http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069859

Quote:

Before you set off
you MUST be able to see, so clear all snow and ice from all your windows
you MUST ensure that lights are clean and number plates are clearly visible and legible
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 23:04   #2001
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
From http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069859

Quote:

Before you set off
you MUST be able to see, so clear all snow and ice from all your windows
you MUST ensure that lights are clean and number plates are clearly visible and legible
The only thing I forgot to do was the number plate. Mind you the speed I was doing any cop could have got my chassis number (VIN)
Old 20-12-2010, 09:40   #2002
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Saw the police pulling cars in this morning. you could see the drivers clearing the snow off the roof and side windows.

it really is ridiculous the way some drive without being able to see around them.

and ones who drive with snow covering up their front and back lights. complete morons.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 09:57   #2003
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

saw a car today with all the lights front and back covered in snow plus snow on the roof and bonnet. Seems some people are more worried about getting cold cleaning it off then they are about safety
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 10:04   #2004
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

I know. they do the bare minimum and probably think they're in a safe bubble because they can't see anything.

them sort of people deserve to smash the car up against a kerb or a great big tree and the insurance don't pay out via the 'stupid moron clause'
Old 20-12-2010, 13:02   #2005
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

My colleague just told me one of his friends got 3 points for driving on the motorway with about 7 inches of set snow on the roof of her car. The policeman that pulled her over said she was going against the highway code and causing a danger to other drivers on the motorway, as the ince/snow could fall back and distract the car behind.

Although I agree with her being pulled over, I think a warning or educational advice would have been a much fairer and more common sense approach.

Having read the previous posts I've asked my colleague to show her the link provided by Derek earlier. There could be more to her points then she is letting on.
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 14:16   #2006
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
Having read the previous posts I've asked my colleague to show her the link provided by Derek earlier. There could be more to her points then she is letting on.
Yeh, she was driving her car in a dangerous condition. probably couldn't even see her rear lights as well.

then she might not have cleared the snow from the front and side windows, so she has great big blindspots where she can't see other drivers and pedestrians.
Old 20-12-2010, 18:51   #2007
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Here is a brilliant question for members, As the snow is that bad, and have terrible problems at major airports with ice on planes, and they have to be de-iced before take off, Then what happens when the plane is at 50.000 and you can actually see the ice on the window ?
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 18:59   #2008
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
Here is a brilliant question for members, As the snow is that bad, and have terrible problems at major airports with ice on planes, and they have to be de-iced before take off, Then what happens when the plane is at 50.000 and you can actually see the ice on the window ?
i believe that most planes have de-icing systems for in flight de-icing .
Old 20-12-2010, 18:59   #2009
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

I think the main problem with the snow and ice at ground level is simply the problem of the planes skidding on the runway and taxiway. Although the other problem would be the engines icing up, and I don't think that is likely to happen if they are running (as they would be in the air), as they'd get too hot.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 19:42   #2010
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
Well, Arthur, at 35,000 feet, temperature is around -55C, so the planes are designed for this temperature (and obviously, the air pressure is lower, so that has an effect).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote