Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 26-11-2016, 16:04   #1411
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Personally l think Sky rushed the release of the Sky Q as IMO its better to hold things back 6 to 12 months if needs must to iron the bugs out.
I think it's worked out ok for Sky though. In these days of agile IT development, I don't think anything gets launched without a few bugs.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-11-2016, 16:19   #1412
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Does the Horizon platform have a dynamic EPG?
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 17:16   #1413
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I think it's worked out ok for Sky though. In these days of agile IT development, I don't think anything gets launched without a few bugs.
Except for life-support systems, aircraft control systems, and nuclear power plant controls systems, hopefully...

Actually, Agile is about quick, iterative software deliveries - they still have to be fully tested....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 17:44   #1414
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Personally l think Sky rushed the release of the Sky Q as IMO its better to hold things back 6 to 12 months if needs must to iron the bugs out.
Don't forget it would have under gone at least a year of development and then internal testing for many months before they considered it for release. VM did the same with the original TiVo and products before that.

Launching a new product with issues or bugs is normal, not saying its right, but they can be fixed over time and also no amount of internal testing can catch every bug. Its not till something is in the hands of normal customer and in many homes that some things will be noticed.
Old 27-11-2016, 00:49   #1415
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Dudes, this STB has cloud storage, a cloud EPG, etc. It is basically a thin client with an MPEG decoder.

Will it impact on your broadband given it uses your Superhub to connect to the network? Probably not: VM have QoS working which will ensure that VoD from the v6 will have its own bandwidth. This capability is needed as part of the voice over cable project, which is nearly sorted.

What this STB will mean is that the reliability of the broadband network has be taken care of as this guy will require 2-way communication with VM to deliver TV services.

VM / Liberty have some busy times ahead, however there are a bunch of projects in progress towards this. The old modems and really old set tops should stop working soon as the kit they connect to is retired, and the newer kit is more reliable, delivers far higher bandwidths, and will be a way better solution.

Much higher upload capacity being delivered too, both through upgrades at headends and hubsites and some network rebuilds.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 13:09   #1416
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Dudes, this STB has cloud storage, a cloud EPG, etc. It is basically a thin client with an MPEG decoder.

Will it impact on your broadband given it uses your Superhub to connect to the network? Probably not: VM have QoS working which will ensure that VoD from the v6 will have its own bandwidth. This capability is needed as part of the voice over cable project, which is nearly sorted.

What this STB will mean is that the reliability of the broadband network has be taken care of as this guy will require 2-way communication with VM to deliver TV services.

VM / Liberty have some busy times ahead, however there are a bunch of projects in progress towards this. The old modems and really old set tops should stop working soon as the kit they connect to is retired, and the newer kit is more reliable, delivers far higher bandwidths, and will be a way better solution.

Much higher upload capacity being delivered too, both through upgrades at headends and hubsites and some network rebuilds.
Didn't know that.

YouView are going to use the cloud too:

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...&id=879a7df7a1
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 15:14   #1417
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

What's the scam for getting a new TiVo? Ring up and complain?
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 16:26   #1418
cj136uk
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media, TiVo/XL TV, XXL Internet, M Phone.
cj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
Does the Horizon platform have a dynamic EPG?
I don't believe they do as it operates with the Irish broadcasters, who do not offer a dynamic service on EPG
cj136uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 17:48   #1419
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post

Interesting.

Do you think that as the V6 requires VM to sort out their "pipes" this could be a precursor to a full blown IPTV service?

If broadband uses IP technology, if VM are about to start using IP for their phone services, why not just shift everything over to using the same tech like their main tv services? Much more efficient especially if they start using things like switched video too, especially in a 4k to 8k world.

---------- Post added at 17:48 ---------- Previous post was at 17:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
What's the scam for getting a new TiVo? Ring up and complain?
I've still got until the 30th Nov to haggle over the price rises, so you can guess what I am going to mention to VM tomorrow...

But phone them up and try.
Old 28-11-2016, 15:57   #1420
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Interesting.

Do you think that as the V6 requires VM to sort out their "pipes" this could be a precursor to a full blown IPTV service?

If broadband uses IP technology, if VM are about to start using IP for their phone services, why not just shift everything over to using the same tech like their main tv services? Much more efficient especially if they start using things like switched video too, especially in a 4k to 8k world.
Would make a lot of sense to go full IPTV in a UltraHD setting. Multicasting would basically remove most limits in terms of the amount of content that can be broadcast.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 14:03   #1421
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Well, the assumed launch of the new V6 commences at 9.15am tomorrow. Who will be first to report on this, I wonder?

I guess the main things we want to know are:

- When can existing customers start ordering it, and are self instals recommended?
- Are 2 TB versions available?
- What is the monthly cost and are there any one off charges, such an installation and/or connection fee?
- Will additional apps (eg Amazon) be appearing, and if so, when?
- What UHD content will be available? Will there be additional charges to access this?

I think we have worked out the answers to other questions for ourselves (eg it will have six tuners, the same UI, etc).

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...t-Skip-Adverts
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 14:11   #1422
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

... when I spoke to Rententions yesterday about my price rises letter, I did mention the V6, but they couldn't offer it to me as it wasn't on their systems yet.

How curious that the last expiry date for renegotiating people's packages because of the price rises is one day before the launch of V6... a bit like that the current tivos are magically upgraded with software that actually does work (after having months/years of slow boxes) weeks before the V6 launch....

On the UI, I know that those with V6s already report that their boxes have the current tivo UI on them, but don't be surprised if a new UI appears on only the V6 in the not too distant future.

Last edited by Horizon; 29-11-2016 at 15:29.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 14:26   #1423
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
... when I spoke to Rententions yesterday about my price rises letter, I did mention the V6, but they couldn't offer it to me as it wasn't on their systems yet.

How curious that the last expiry date for renegotiating people's packages because of the price rises is one day before the launch of V6... a bit like that the current tivos are magically upgraded with software that actually does work (after having months/years of slow boxes) weeks before the V6 launch....

On the UI, I know that those with V6s already report their boxesy have the current tivo UI on them, but don't be surprised if a new UI appears on only the V6 in the not too distant future.
Yes, I was hoping for a new UI. The current text based one is looking a bit outdated to me now.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 14:36   #1424
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, the assumed launch of the new V6 commences at 9.15am tomorrow. Who will be first to report on this, I wonder?

- When can existing customers start ordering it, and are self instals recommended?
- What is the monthly cost and are there any one off charges, such an installation and/or connection fee?
- What UHD content will be available? Will there be additional charges to access this?

I think we have worked out the answers to other questions for ourselves (eg it will have six tuners, the same UI, etc).

Yes hopefully it will all come out in the wash tomorrow OB.
Old 29-11-2016, 14:45   #1425
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

- Can one customer have more than one (unlike Sky Q)?
- and are there additional "mini" boxes, like the TiVo Mini or the Sky Q Mini?
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote