Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 22-11-2016, 17:24   #1336
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
The V6 already operates as slickly as you describe and can already record 6 while watching a 7th.
Hahaha sweet, Sky have got some catching up to do then
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-11-2016, 17:28   #1337
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Whilst it's always nice to have extra tuners I'm hard pressed to find enough to record on the four I currently have available.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 17:30   #1338
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Whilst it's always nice to have extra tuners I'm hard pressed to find enough to record on the four I currently have available.
I can record all the channels I need but my problem is finding the time to view them.
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 17:31   #1339
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Plus it's always nice to have more lol. I rarely see the 3 red lights on my Tivo now, but always handy to have just in case :-)
Old 22-11-2016, 17:38   #1340
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Watch it you might upset thy most revered.

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Well each to their own but we find one of the worse problems is programmes starting late and finishing late thus its inevitable that there will be clashes and thus 3 tuners is not enough in our household.
Old 22-11-2016, 17:39   #1341
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Watch it you might upset thy most revered.
Ooops, sorry, Den...I'll hold my tongue
Old 22-11-2016, 17:39   #1342
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerman View Post
I can record all the channels I need but my problem is finding the time to view them.
Agreed we are the same in our house.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 18:47   #1343
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
The 1990's called, they want their technology back...hahahaha

Joking aside, what do you use them for? .

What can I say, I hate throwing kit away

All Items are connected to AV amps -- bedroom or lounge.

I have the first Panasonic Hard drive/DVD recorder, the HS2, which has scart, for which I use a scart to three phono leads connector.

I also have two later models, the E95 & EH50 which connects via Component. The E95 I occasionally use as it has a good music documentary recorded on it. and also I can archive Tivo recordings on it. The EH50 can record from an ancient Sony Freeview box.

Finally I have a couple of 5 disc DVD players. The Panasonic connects via Component I think and a Yamaha that has an Svideo connection.

I rip my DVDs now, so hardly used but occasionally I find a 6 DVD boxset that won't rip and they are useful then.

My lounge 2013 Yamaha RX-A3030 AV amp, I think was the last Yamaha amp to include Svideo inputs.

Do I really need them? Probably not. But they don't do any harm, and prove useful on the odd occasion
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 20:20   #1344
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
The V6 already operates as slickly as you describe and can already record 6 while watching a 7th.
So it has 7 tuners? I always assumed that the name was derived from Virgin and the number of tuners.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 20:31   #1345
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

The 7th is a recording and doesn't need a tuner.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 20:49   #1346
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Does anyone know for sure why the V6 needs to be connected to a router, does it actually have to be?

I know the V6 doesn't have a internal modem, but what exactly does the V6 need to pull off the internet that it's not getting from being connected to the cable network? I'm assuming the EPG data, metadata etc is all being piped from the cable network as is the VOD.
Old 22-11-2016, 21:03   #1347
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

V6 uses your home network for the same things as TiVo used it's own network connection - apps such as BBC iPlayer, Netflix and YouTube. Of course, the slow modem on TiVo would be no use for 4K streams from Netflix and YouTube.
In addition, V6 needs a faster upload to provide download of recordings to TV Anywhere app, something not possible with TiVo's very poor upload on its 10Mb internet connection.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 21:15   #1348
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
What can I say, I hate throwing kit away

All Items are connected to AV amps -- bedroom or lounge.

I have the first Panasonic Hard drive/DVD recorder, the HS2, which has scart, for which I use a scart to three phono leads connector.

I also have two later models, the E95 & EH50 which connects via Component. The E95 I occasionally use as it has a good music documentary recorded on it. and also I can archive Tivo recordings on it. The EH50 can record from an ancient Sony Freeview box.

Finally I have a couple of 5 disc DVD players. The Panasonic connects via Component I think and a Yamaha that has an Svideo connection.

I rip my DVDs now, so hardly used but occasionally I find a 6 DVD boxset that won't rip and they are useful then.

My lounge 2013 Yamaha RX-A3030 AV amp, I think was the last Yamaha amp to include Svideo inputs.

Do I really need them? Probably not. But they don't do any harm, and prove useful on the odd occasion
You realise there are 1000's of kids wondering what the hell Svid,VHS and scart is ,they just think the old farts are babbling again
Old 22-11-2016, 21:22   #1349
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
,they just think the old farts are babbling again

They could be right!
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 21:31   #1350
Paddy63
Inactive

Services: Tivo 1tb, V+, 100meg
Paddy63 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you only have an old tv that only has a scart connection you will not get a V6, they will install an old Tivo or cancel the install all together. In theory this should be one of the questions they ask when you ask for a V6.
Paddy63 is offline   Reply With Quote