Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 10-03-2012, 12:46   #1066
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

nice Kymmy but 'get a life' decent firmware on the SH could see better results.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2012, 13:21   #1067
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

There though is a difference between adequate and perfect.. The superhub's performance is adequate for my usage and probably a good proportion of VM customers. I'm not though saying it is perfect and could probably be bettered but very few need perfection..

Just getting sick and tired of the "Superhub isn't working perfect so no-body must be happy with it" brigade and it's a pity on forums that people don't tend to post good experiences as much as bad experiences..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 13:29   #1068
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

ok fair enough but I did make it clear that 5GHz rocked for me on the SH

with regards to this latency issue. thats exactly the thing, it can be better and easily.
Old 10-03-2012, 14:35   #1069
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
There though is a difference between adequate and perfect.. The superhub's performance is adequate for my usage and probably a good proportion of VM customers. I'm not though saying it is perfect and could probably be bettered but very few need perfection..

Just getting sick and tired of the "Superhub isn't working perfect so no-body must be happy with it" brigade and it's a pity on forums that people don't tend to post good experiences as much as bad experiences..
your 2nd graph looks like more utilisation on the UBR rather than a difference in local hardware and usage. There is congestion on that 2nd graph no doubt, its just not very severe.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:42   #1070
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Is that possibly the difference between the DOCSIS 1 & 3 ?
Old 10-03-2012, 14:47   #1071
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Is that possibly the difference between the DOCSIS 1 & 3 ?
i am assuming you have docsis 1 modme for the business if so it possible most peopel in your area are off docsis 1 and as such it imprvoing it btu i say teh shub is causing some of those spikes
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:54   #1072
Kymmy
Inactive

It is a village with the UBR in a very small town.. Not many businesses about..
Old 10-03-2012, 15:10   #1073
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
I'm more than happy with those results and if you want to try to use those results to slag off the superhub then honestly..get a life
Sorry, but as the new connection has introduced more than 5 times more latency into your system, that's a shameful result if the SH is the cause.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 15:24   #1074
Kymmy
Inactive

Do you honestly think I'm anal enough to worry about a bit more latency????
Old 10-03-2012, 15:27   #1075
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
I'm not sure you're aware but a lot of (educated) people (and network engineers) believe latency is more important than bandwidth. Increased latency is why websites load slower on a VM 50mb connection than a BT 40mb, contrary to what you'd expect.

So for many people it's "adequate" for their needs (because it loads fast enough) but on the other hand they're being misled if they think it's faster than a 40mb connection from the competition. VM's excessive peddling of download speeds comes at the cost of latency and responsiveness. The latency problem, is something that some people claim the Superhub makes a lot worse - so it's just another example of the same thing.

Nobody's to my knowledge done a direct scientific comparison between the two, so your graphs, being as close as it gets, shows your 50mb being a lot worse than your 10mb. Even if you're happy with that, I don't think it's fair to berate the few who aren't. After all, if it literally takes 2-4 times as long to do most things on a 50mb connection, it's a bit of a ripoff.

---------- Post added at 15:27 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

Quote:
This is the kind of attitude that allows VM to continue getting away with ripping people off by peddling unneccessarily high speeds at the cost of actual performance.

Again, that latency, is why your 50mb is slower in actual use than my 30mb. I'm not saying you should care, but I know I would if that were the case. Hence why I disconnected my 50mb and went down to another provider's "slower" service. That latency, also means your 50mb probably isn't any faster than your 10mb for interactive use. Downloading large files is another matter.
Old 10-03-2012, 15:30   #1076
thenry
Inactive

qas comparisons were made on docsis3, the VMNG300 and the SuperHub.. its blatantly showed the SH clocked up more. I saw a few people state the same thing and also various monitors confirm this. thats just me browsing the web too. Chrysalis and craigj2k12 have actually tested so would know much more.

Quote:
strong words and to be honest its pathetic.. bit of a cowboys comment, leave it be it'll do... no it wont and seeing as the fix could be rather simple I think fixing the issue would be more worthwhile. After all theres a huge investment thats been made in all this speed.
Old 10-03-2012, 15:36   #1077
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Why are you posting in a ping monitor thread if you don't care about ping?

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
qas comparisons were made on docsis3, the VMNG300 and the SuperHub.. its blatantly showed the SH clocked up more. I saw a few people state the same thing and also various monitors confirm this. thats just me browsing the web too. Chrysalis and craigj2k12 have actually tested so would know much more.
I haven't seen any actual numbers. I wish I had, but a couple of Thinkbroadband graphs could have a hundred and one reasons for the differences.
Old 10-03-2012, 15:43   #1078
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I haven't seen any actual numbers. I wish I had, but a couple of Thinkbroadband graphs could have a hundred and one reasons for the differences.
Me and Chrys made a thread about it on this very forum, with pings, tracert's, TBB graphs, download speed tests, general browsing and video streaming, the superhubs performance was a lot lower across the board
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 15:47   #1079
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Links or it didn't happen.
Old 10-03-2012, 16:05   #1080
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Why are you posting in a ping monitor thread if you don't care about ping?.
It wasn't for my benefit, Just posted the whole lot as people might be interested especially as I was asked to post the TBB monitors, but instead it's the Anti-superhub so called experts who jump on it and deem it not good enough.. If someone doesn't like the superhub then don't get a superhub!!

I rarely game, I don't care about 2 more seconds to load a web page and most of my traffic is purely files and database sharing with various applications which are all running at full speed..

Everyone to their own but don't expect others to care about non-perfect results unless it actually impacts on what they're using the connection for