Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TV price rises

Old 14-11-2012, 20:58   #1036
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TV price rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
So has the position changed since the last price rise?
Yes, I believe so
Old 14-11-2012, 20:59   #1037
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

VM do solve many problems on the phone.
Their offshore CS also cause and create a lot of problems on-the-phone too.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 21:11   #1038
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
<annoyed grunt> You know what I meant
Yes I did but fun

---------- Post added at 21:11 ---------- Previous post was at 21:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Their offshore CS also cause and create a lot of problems on-the-phone too.
Never had a problem with any call centre I have called.
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 21:56   #1039
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yes, I believe so
That's disappointing - I would imagine most customers would welcome more transparency in their billing, not less. Thanks for answer.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 22:00   #1040
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
That's disappointing - I would imagine most customers would welcome more transparency in their billing, not less. Thanks for answer.
The information customers get accurately reflects the changes they will get on their bill
Old 15-11-2012, 05:55   #1041
Superblade7
cf.geek

Services: Sky Q 2TB & Sky Q Mini (Box Sets with Cinema & Sports HD) with VM VIVID 100Mbps Broadband & M Phone
Superblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The information customers get accurately reflects the changes they will get on their bill
Ben,

Whilst most of us accept what you are saying regarding getting individual prices rises according to our packages, there must be a unit cost for each service within a collection and then a discount applied to give the collection price.

Therefore, similar to most other companies (and by law), VM must have a basic price list for each individual service and then in circumstances like this show what the price increase is for each service. It's gotta be there somewhere even if it's hidden away.

That is what people are after with transparency and people can then see what the price rises are in total even if their individual price rise may differ.

As an example, take gas and electric. My supplier provides me with a unit cost for each service and then applies a discount if I take both as a bundle. VM used to do this and still ought to do the same.

Superblade7
Superblade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 08:03   #1042
andrewbrown
cf.addict

Services: TiVO, V+, XL TV, L Broadband and Superhub, M Phone
andrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to allandrewbrown is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superblade7 View Post
Ben,

Whilst most of us accept what you are saying regarding getting individual prices rises according to our packages, there must be a unit cost for each service within a collection and then a discount applied to give the collection price.

Therefore, similar to most other companies (and by law), VM must have a basic price list for each individual service and then in circumstances like this show what the price increase is for each service. It's gotta be there somewhere even if it's hidden away.

That is what people are after with transparency and people can then see what the price rises are in total even if their individual price rise may differ.

As an example, take gas and electric. My supplier provides me with a unit cost for each service and then applies a discount if I take both as a bundle. VM used to do this and still ought to do the same.

Superblade7
Why would it be the law to list individual items in a bundle? If you buy a package holiday, it doesn't tell you this much for the travel, this much for the hotel etc?

And using the example of gas and electrics pricing as "transparent" almost made me spit my morning coffee.
andrewbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 09:26   #1043
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superblade7 View Post
VM used to do this and still ought to do the same.
We have been over this many times before

You are right that they did indeed - when the 'unit price' reflected the individual cost of each service.

That hasn't been the case for many years due to the reducing relative costs of the services, so putting the system 'unit price' on the bill would cause significant complaints - which is main the reason the bills were changed

For instance XL 60 broadband shows as a 'unit price' of over £37 on the system - however no one pays that price, it's never been sold and that price and never will be.

If it was shown, the first thing that someone will do (and used to do when they were broken down) when they see that on their bill is to phone up and complain that they are being overcharged
Old 15-11-2012, 10:02   #1044
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
That hasn't been the case for many years due to the reducing relative costs of the services, so putting the system 'unit price' on the bill would cause significant complaints - which is main the reason the bills were changed.
Although I too preferred the older - itemised - bill, I have to back Ben up here and say (as I'm sure many will remember) that VM got just as many complaints back then about how confusing the billing system was and could it not be simplified. So they did.... and look what happened. Lovers of irony take note

Quote:
If it was shown, the first thing that someone will do (and used to do when they were broken down) when they see that on their bill is to phone up and complain that they are being overcharged
Indeed. But, as I said, I actually liked that as it showed me what discount I was actually getting.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 11:00   #1045
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Although I too preferred the older - itemised - bill,

I actually liked that as it showed me what discount I was actually getting.

Agreed.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 11:26   #1046
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Although I too preferred the older - itemised - bill,
I actually prefer the new bill, its a lot clearer to read
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 11:52   #1047
Superblade7
cf.geek

Services: Sky Q 2TB & Sky Q Mini (Box Sets with Cinema & Sports HD) with VM VIVID 100Mbps Broadband & M Phone
Superblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbrown View Post
Why would it be the law to list individual items in a bundle? If you buy a package holiday, it doesn't tell you this much for the travel, this much for the hotel etc?

And using the example of gas and electrics pricing as "transparent" almost made me spit my morning coffee.
Have a read of the Trading Standards guidance on pricing (http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/c...V1011-1111.txt).

Whilst VM can happily sell you services as bundles at a bundle charge, they should have a price list available for each product. I'll just add that I'm happy with the current billing system but should be able to obtain a price list if required.

The package holiday analogy isn't the same as the prices of each part can vary daily whereas VM's products have a standing charge with ocassional increases/discounts.

In respect of gas prices, you'll always get a contract with unit charges although the numerous tariffs available are what cause the confusion.
Superblade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 11:54   #1048
dodgem22
cf.addict

Services: virgin tv phone and broadband giff gaff mobile
dodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about them

A price rise great very amusing. Since the last tivo update i am regularly getting the hdmi not recognised, before the update I did not get this yet more amusement. My tivo no longer gets on with my Panasonic tv.

If anything its a price reduction I want.

I am now going to have to seriously consider my options I already feel Virgin is getting to expensive so i for one could after many years be about to jump ship.

Maybe Bt maybe talk talk or Sky if I can get a tree chopped down. It really does feel like Virgin are taking the mickey.

Just looked at the extra for nothing part of their excuses and whats coming soon I dont use the London underground so meh and as for tv anywhere I would not really use this granted some people will but not me.
dodgem22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 13:02   #1049
praxis
Inactive

praxis is on a distinguished roadpraxis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgem22 View Post
A price rise great very amusing. Since the last tivo update i am regularly getting the hdmi not recognised, before the update I did not get this yet more amusement. My tivo no longer gets on with my Panasonic tv.

If anything its a price reduction I want.

I am now going to have to seriously consider my options I already feel Virgin is getting to expensive so i for one could after many years be about to jump ship.

Maybe Bt maybe talk talk or Sky if I can get a tree chopped down. It really does feel like Virgin are taking the mickey.

Just looked at the extra for nothing part of their excuses and whats coming soon I dont use the London underground so meh and as for tv anywhere I would not really use this granted some people will but not me.

You may want to hold back on Talk Talk they are top of the we don,t care brigade
praxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 13:22   #1050
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Indeed. But, as I said, I actually liked that as it showed me what discount I was actually getting.
A discount is only a discount when it's a reduction against the 'normal' price.

Most of the adjustments that used to be shown (and are still on the system) are to get the price to the current advertised price, so are not a discount