Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Breaking your contract with VM.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Breaking your contract with VM.

Old 30-10-2016, 19:05   #91
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Breaking your contract with VM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
You are totally missing the point and wouldn't last five minutes in business with that attitude.
I'm sorry, Richard, I cannot understand your annoyance. You are so impatient to leave Virgin Media that you can't wait a few weeks for the new eos box to come out (which should resolve your issues) and then you complain about not being offered a deal which you have no intention of accepting anyway.

Clearly, whoever you spoke to thought you were a lost cause and let you go. I say again, you have absolutely no right to be offered a deal when you threaten to leave and your reaction is well over the top.

Good luck with Sky

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

Quote:
Personally, i've never received a discount by calling up every year.

As I said earlier, a reduced profit is better than nothing and losing the revenue from the BB & phone services.

They really don't appear to have a long or even short term strategy for their continuing loss of TV customers.
But that's their concern rather than yours, Richard.

Maybe they are becoming concerned about their customers cottoning on to the fact that people are getting the message that threatening to leave will result in a discount.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-10-2016, 19:09   #92
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I'm sorry, Richard, I cannot understand your annoyance. You are so impatient to leave Virgin Media that you can't wait a few weeks for the new eos box to come out (which should resolve your issues) and then you complain about not being offered a deal which you have no intention of accepting anyway.

Clearly, whoever you spoke to thought you were a lost cause and let you go. I say again, you have absolutely no right to be offered a deal when you threaten to leave and your reaction is well over the top.

Good luck with Sky

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

But that's their concern rather than yours, Richard.

Maybe they are becoming concerned about their customers cottoning on to the fact that people are getting the message that threatening to leave will result in a discount.
Their "the new box will be coming soon" message is now tedious. It could & should have been out long before now.

If they had of offered me a deal to show their appreciation of my custom and to reflect the issues that I have experienced, I would certainly have considered it.

As I said earlier, I will be speaking to a VM manager later on tonight to see what he has to say about this.

Allowing long term customers to leave with a shrug of the shoulders when Sky is offering 60% off for five years with no contract is a recipe for disaster.

Don't forget that the more customers who leave pushes up costs for VM and reduces their economies of scale.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 30-10-2016 at 21:09.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 22:28   #93
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Their "the new box will be coming soon" message is now tedious. It could & should have been out long before now.

If they had of offered me a deal to show their appreciation of my custom and to reflect the issues that I have experienced, I would certainly have considered it.

As I said earlier, I will be speaking to a VM manager later on tonight to see what he has to say about this.

Allowing long term customers to leave with a shrug of the shoulders when Sky is offering 60% off for five years with no contract is a recipe for disaster.

Don't forget that the more customers who leave pushes up costs for VM and reduces their economies of scale.
But you have no right to a discount, Richard. If Sky decide to give prospective leavers a 60% discount, that's a matter for them. VM do not have to follow their lead.

As far as the date of the launch of the V6 is concerned, Virgin have been saying for months that the new box will be out before Christmas. Nothing has changed.
Old 30-10-2016, 23:03   #94
nfs6600
cf.geek

Services: All
nfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant futurenfs6600 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Their "the new box will be coming soon" message is now tedious. It could & should have been out long before now
If it was ready it would have been out by now. It's not out, so clearly not ready

Quote:
If he/she has any sense about them, then they will inform you that the agents hands are tied in what deals are available to give
nfs6600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 08:43   #95
MutleyF
Inactive

Services: 1TB Tivo, "Big Kahuna"
MutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant future

For Richard ....

I broke my contract with Virgin for one reason only - I moved to a non enabled Virgin area. The recent rate increase allowed me to cancel without penalty.

Prior to this I was happy with Virgin, and before that, NTL, and before that, Cable & Wireless.

Since I cancelled, I received two calls from them effectively offering to reduce my bill by almost half if I stayed.

Deals are there, but I never asked for it. Whenever the offer was made because I was a very long term customer or not, I don't know.

Truthfully the costs associated with moving has emptied my wallet - so I still dont have broadband (yet) - I am only using freeview at present, but will look to freesat when funds are available.

They may call you back with an offer Richard - all I can advise is to be polite at all times. Going in all guns blazing will not solve anything.

Good luck
MutleyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 09:43   #96
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

I have already reported on this thread that when I phoned to cancel because of the price rise I was immediately offered a reduction in my minimum 3 services to 35 pounds a month including remaining on 70 broadband which is written into my new 12 month contract.

I wonder if this is because in my 15 or so years with ntl and VM my records show I have probably contacted them no more than once a year. I wonder if it is because I am polite but firm with a reasonable request based on their prices advertised on their website. I wonder if it is because I am grateful for any discount rather than demand it as my right. I wonder if it is because I don't threaten to go above the head of the person I am talking to as I don't have friends in high places. Or perhaps I am just fortunate with whom I get through to on my infrequent calls to retentions.
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 12:44   #97
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
I have already reported on this thread that when I phoned to cancel because of the price rise I was immediately offered a reduction in my minimum 3 services to 35 pounds a month including remaining on 70 broadband which is written into my new 12 month contract.

I wonder if this is because in my 15 or so years with ntl and VM my records show I have probably contacted them no more than once a year. I wonder if it is because I am polite but firm with a reasonable request based on their prices advertised on their website. I wonder if it is because I am grateful for any discount rather than demand it as my right. I wonder if it is because I don't threaten to go above the head of the person I am talking to as I don't have friends in high places. Or perhaps I am just fortunate with whom I get through to on my infrequent calls to retentions.
I have never had any issues with Virgin Media Customer Services. On the few occasions I've needed to ring them, it is they who suggest a check is made to see if I am getting value for money, and I have been very pleased with the result.

I think that quite a lot depends on your attitude and whether you are constantly ringing up to complain about very little.
Old 31-10-2016, 16:36   #98
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs6600 View Post
If it was ready it would have been out by now. It's not out, so clearly not ready

If he/she has any sense about them, then they will inform you that the agents hands are tied in what deals are available to give
Its clearly not ready, that's the point. It should have been commissioned long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutleyF View Post
For Richard ....

I broke my contract with Virgin for one reason only - I moved to a non enabled Virgin area. The recent rate increase allowed me to cancel without penalty.

Prior to this I was happy with Virgin, and before that, NTL, and before that, Cable & Wireless.

Since I cancelled, I received two calls from them effectively offering to reduce my bill by almost half if I stayed.

Deals are there, but I never asked for it. Whenever the offer was made because I was a very long term customer or not, I don't know.

Truthfully the costs associated with moving has emptied my wallet - so I still dont have broadband (yet) - I am only using freeview at present, but will look to freesat when funds are available.

They may call you back with an offer Richard - all I can advise is to be polite at all times. Going in all guns blazing will not solve anything.

Good luck
Thanks. I was polite to the person and went with the flow, so we'll see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post

I have probably contacted them on average less than once a year. I was polite and wasn't firm. I am not grateful to suppliers as a paying customer, did not request a discount (via a demand or otherwise) and did not threaten to go above their head.

Its VM who should be grateful to have the chance to supply cable services to us; this business opportunity is a privilege under franchise.

If they aren't going to help the market by competing with their rivals, they are effectively giving Sky a monopoly which helps nobody and should have their right to supply us challenged.

You can stop "wondering" now.

Quote:
I have never had any issues with Virgin Media Customer Services. On the few occasions I've needed to ring them, it is they who suggest a check is made to see if I am getting value for money, and I have been very pleased with the result.

I think that quite a lot depends on your attitude and whether you are constantly ringing up to complain about very little.
Maybe, but it shouldn't be like that. Not that I constantly contact them, but it shouldn't be down to the whim of some individual in a call centre.

I spoke to my friend last night before the event began (and am still recovering after a heavy night of Grey Goose!)

He didn't seem too happy about the way that I have been treated and after telling him that if they aren't bothered about keeping customers, I might as well start having VM taken out of the other properties as the contracts lapse, he said he'd speak to someone to get it sorted out for me and that I should expect a phone call sometime this week.

He's going to listen to the tape where the employee slurred their words and deal with this internally.

I did ask for you all, but he has no idea when the new box will be out.
Old 31-10-2016, 16:48   #99
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Well, here's hoping that call was taped (calls MAY be recorded for quality control purposes).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 18:56   #100
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

True, but I guess that they will have their own internal ways of monitoring their employees.

My intention is to go with Sky for one year and get them to replace my faulty satellite wiring, but they do have a habit of enticing customers to stay with offers that are very difficult to turn down. Even though I dislike them, I can't argue that this is sound business practice.

VM on the other hand appear happy to let long term customers go, it's being badly run since LG took over to a jaw dropping level.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 31-10-2016 at 19:27.
Old 31-10-2016, 19:44   #101
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
True, but I guess that they will have their own internal ways of monitoring their employees.

My intention is to go with Sky for one year and get them to replace my faulty satellite wiring, but they do have a habit of enticing customers to stay with offers that are very difficult to turn down. Even though I dislike them, I can't argue that this is sound business practice.

VM on the other hand appear happy to let long term customers go, it's being badly run since LG took over to a jaw dropping level.
The real problems relate to the slow legacy Tivos that LG inherited and the lack of Sky Atlantic.

The Tivo will be replaced by the V6 box in a few weeks and the absence of Sky Atlantic is caused mainly by Sky, who don''t want it on other platforms. That includes BT and Talk Talk, and this was the position before LG took over.

So, please remind us of what you think Liberty Global have done wrong in your eyes. I think they do actually have a strategy for the future which is credible.
Old 31-10-2016, 19:56   #102
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
The real problems relate to the slow legacy Tivos that LG inherited and the lack of Sky Atlantic.

The Tivo will be replaced by the V6 box in a few weeks and the absence of Sky Atlantic is caused mainly by Sky, who don''t want it on other platforms. That includes BT and Talk Talk, and this was the position before LG took over.

So, please remind us of what you think Liberty Global have done wrong in your eyes. I think they do actually have a strategy for the future which is credible.
I'm not a fan of price increases but I think VM has done well under LGI's ownership - VM mobile gained the iPhone which it never had before, the cable network is expanding, there are vastly faster speeds, missing channels have been added, on-demand enhanced, original content is being commissioned and a V6 box is being tested as we speak. And, it's important to remember that VM has a mobile offering whilst Sky's has been coming soon for months! Roll on 4G though!
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 22:48   #103
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Not sorting out the old boxes, not commissioning a new box on time, missing channels, everything is always "coming soon"...
Old 31-10-2016, 23:22   #104
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Not sorting out the old boxes, not commissioning a new box on time, missing channels, everything is always "coming soon"...
All of which were legacy issues inherited when LG took over. It takes time to have a new box designed, manufactured and get all the bugs out. Your criticism is unfair.

You would be the first to complain if they brought out a new box that didn't cover all bases and was riddled with bugs that had to be sorted out.
Old 31-10-2016, 23:42   #105
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

i rang customer service today to get a better deal they dropped the price by £25 a month and gave me a new 12 month contract the guy said when the new V6 box comes out in 2 Months time he said ring up and will give me a new contract without having to finish the old contract off
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote