Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2009)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2009)
Closed Thread

Old 26-05-2009, 15:31   #1006
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2009)

Ah well... at least you have cleared that up! Ta
Advertisement
Old 26-05-2009, 16:52   #1007
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

I used to love this thread. And I really do appreciate the hard work that goes into updating it.

But I can't view it anymore because all I see is broken promises!!! (again not the thread creators fault)

I have been waiting for channels like ESPN for almost 4 years now.
Old 26-05-2009, 17:38   #1008
KnightRider
Inactive

Services: 2 Samsung Tivo's, XL tv, Sky Sports Pack
KnightRider is on a distinguished roadKnightRider is on a distinguished road

Media Boy on your list on post 1 of broadcasters would it be possible to add on the contract renewal dates.
Old 26-05-2009, 17:40   #1009
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

...the only people who would know that are VM's board and the individual broadcasters/media companies.
Old 26-05-2009, 17:42   #1010
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Hi Andy, Let me answer your question, concerning the gripe that l have with VM.

This is the 21st century, we have a major satellite company called Sky, and we have VM, a well known cable company, people that cannot get Sky are entitled to the same good quality tv programmes, as everyone gets, and this has to come via the cable network, VM have been making promises over the last eight months, that we are getting this and that, and what do we get - nothing.

Customers pay hard earn't money to get good quality products, and therefore should get the best, customers on VM call cs and get told a load of crap, of what we are supposed to get, and pay the price, and don't get it, The early part of last year, l went to a lot of trouble and expense to get HD tv, and l bought the V+Box which supplies HD pictures (CS told me this) l was told, we would get the same HD channels as Sky, within a few weeks, now nearly a year gone by, where are the HD channels - no where, we have been promised HD channels within a few months, which month - and you don't think l can gripe, the money, l could have used for something else. And this is nothing personnel.
Old 27-05-2009, 00:21   #1011
HD462
Inactive

Services: Digital Cable TV V+ Freeview Virgin Phone 10Mb Broadband Home WiFi Network Virgin Mobile BB
HD462 will become famous soon enoughHD462 will become famous soon enoughHD462 will become famous soon enough

We got a V+ box installed last week. When I called customer services to order the box I discussed channels, and was told that there would be six new HD channels arriving in September. No mention of what the channels were though.
Old 27-05-2009, 07:22   #1012
huxleypiguk
Inactive

huxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of light

The problem is that CS simply do not know what channels are due to come on to VM. They are a commercial company who pay to host channels. Lets say that again. They pay to host channels. Sky do not. Sky simply host them. Therefore CS should not be telling anyone anything as they simply don't know. Nor do installers, engineers, finance, broadband techs or anyone.

In reality a lot of the people who are negotiating these deals don't know when these channels are arriving. Right now in a massive economic down turn, VM cannot afford to take on channels that will not make revenue for them. Hence hosting ESPN who will want a bucket load of cash, has to be balanced against the advertising revenues for that channel.

Now you could (and will argue) that this means that people will leave the service. However once people have a system they are very unlikely to move. I for one do not want the hassle of switching all my stuff over simply so I can get the odd channel a bit clearer - yes I have seen HD and I cannot see what the fuss is about. So therefore VM will add channels as they can, but will balance that against churn and the advertising revenue they will receive from them.

So ignore what CS tell you and look at post 1 of this thread.
Old 27-05-2009, 09:28   #1013
indie1982
Inactive

Services: M Phone, XL BB, XL TV and 2 SA V+
indie1982 will become famous soon enoughindie1982 will become famous soon enoughindie1982 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
This is the 21st century, we have a major satellite company called Sky, and we have VM, a well known cable company, people that cannot get Sky are entitled to the same good quality tv programmes, as everyone gets, and this has to come via the cable network, VM have been making promises over the last eight months, that we are getting this and that, and what do we get - nothing.
Sorry, I don't agree, we're not "entitled" to anything. I must have had the V+ box for 2 and half years now and was sold it all the way back then on the promise of HD.

Sky and VM TV are premium services, the TV that "everyone" gets is Freeview.

If you're not happy with VMs offerings, let them know about it and leave!
Old 27-05-2009, 10:00   #1014
smallclone
cf.geek

smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie1982 View Post

If you're not happy with VMs offerings, let them know about it and leave!
Do you not see that some people don't have a choice?

I cannot get sky. Only VM. Therefore there are lots of features/ tv I miss out on.

My parents can get neither sky nor VM.

Its not as if they can just up sticks and move in this day and age. My personal feelign is that everythign available on a satellite should be available via the cable that goes underground. If it means paying more, then so be it.
Old 27-05-2009, 10:22   #1015
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
My personal feelign is that everythign available on a satellite should be available via the cable that goes underground. If it means paying more, then so be it.
Sadly Sky don't feel the same way, so they actively prevent VM from providing the same channels, either by refusing to wholesale them their channels or services, or by tying others channels into exclusivity contracts.
Old 27-05-2009, 10:34   #1016
indie1982
Inactive

Services: M Phone, XL BB, XL TV and 2 SA V+
indie1982 will become famous soon enoughindie1982 will become famous soon enoughindie1982 will become famous soon enough

But people are talking about it like premium TV is a god given right, it isn't!

Most of the HD stuff you're missing out on that's on Sky HD is either upscaled or simulcast on SD channels.

It's all money driven, ad revenue is down, broadcasters want to ensure revenue so they enter into exclusivity deals with pay TV operators.

VM are also in the unfortunate position that they inherited legacy networks from all the previous cable franchises and are having to standardise them before they can offer multiple HD channels and things for the future like SDV. This all costs money and on the back of the debt they inherited it's very hard to do.
Old 27-05-2009, 10:34   #1017
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
Sadly Sky don't feel the same way, so they actively prevent VM from providing the same channels, either by refusing to wholesale them their channels or services, or by tying others channels into exclusivity contracts.
wouldn't it be good if there was some sort of regulatory body who oversaw all the TV companies ? Then they could look into these sorts of things and make sure all the different broadcasters could get all the channels.

I've not got freesat, which is a bit of a different concept, but even with that you can't get the Sky Sports HD channels or anything either so it's not just VM that are missing out
Old 27-05-2009, 10:36   #1018
smallclone
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
Yep. Its unfortunate. Nobody can make SKY give away their technology and programmes if they don't want to.

But its extremely frustrating for someone who is more than willing to pay over the odds to get these porogrammes yet can't get it because my house doesn't point the right way or whatever reason.

---------- Post added at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer View Post

I've not got freesat, which is a bit of a different concept, but even with that you can't get the Sky Sports HD channels or anything either so it's not just VM that are missing out
How much is freesat compared to VM XL?
Old 27-05-2009, 12:22   #1019
Hiroki
Inactive

Services: SkyHD, Freesat & Virgin Media TV/BB
Hiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Hiroki

Wow this has went off topic (again). Isn't there a HD topic you guys could arguing in instead of trolling this one?
Old 27-05-2009, 12:39   #1020
smallclone
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroki View Post
Wow this has went off topic (again). Isn't there a HD topic you guys could arguing in instead of trolling this one?
It's hardly trolling.
Closed Thread