Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Old 19-02-2011, 15:09   #991
Zing

Re: Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
You know magistrates can sentence upto 7 years for even petty theft, right?
just highlights and extends my point

I would never accept trial in a magistrates court if the results could end in bird

edit thinking about it if I was bang to rights I prolly would
Advertisement
Old 20-02-2011, 19:45   #992
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
You know magistrates can sentence upto 7 years for even petty theft, right?
Wrong. A magistrate's sentencing power is limited to six months. He (she) can, however, refer the sentencing to the crown court if he believes the crime warrants more jail time than that.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 20:03   #993
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

All i want to say on this subject that it seems to have become is that all murders ( manslaughter included ), ID theft Should all get life as they have stolen a life so theirs should be taken. All the other crimes should get about 14 years max as the first that i have mentioned have happened to me, my friends and family.

Rant over?
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 21:56   #994
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

The problem is that it's easy to defend fraud against large companies by saying they can afford it, after all, Virgin is a multi billion pound company, £175,000 is nothing to them.

However, they will attempt to recoup that cost, and one way they will do that is by making people redundant. So, all of a sudden, this "victimless" crime has very real victims. The staff who lose their jobs. Staff who are possibly in a position where they can't afford to lose their jobs.

---------- Post added at 21:56 ---------- Previous post was at 21:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
All i want to say on this subject that it seems to have become is that all murders ( manslaughter included ), ID theft Should all get life as they have stolen a life so theirs should be taken. All the other crimes should get about 14 years max as the first that i have mentioned have happened to me, my friends and family.

Rant over?
These men have not been given 17 year sentences individually.

The men in question are serving a *total* of 17 years in jail.

Quote:
At a Proceeds of Crime hearing at Preston Crown Court this week, Dilawer Dudhwala, 29, of Assheton Road, Blackburn, was told to pay Virgin £65,000 in compensation by August 30 or he would face an additional 18 months in jail on top of his existing 18 month sentence.

Salim Zinga, 41, of Duchy Avenue, Preston, who was jailed for four years, has to pay back £105,000 to Virgin by next February or face an extra two years.

Hearings against the other two members, Rafiq Dudhwala, 27, of Assheton Road, and Imran Khansia, 30, of Livingstone Road, both Blackburn, have been adjourned until September.

They are currently each serving six-year prison terms.
So, the longest sentences currently given to the men are 6 years each.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 09:48   #995
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aura

Another Compensation ruling. During a Proceeds of Crime hearing at Preston Crown Court this week, and subsequent to being sentenced to 6 years each earlier this year
Quote:
Judge Heather Lloyd told them they must pay back £200,000 each from the profits they made selling illegally modified Virgin TV boxes.

If they don’t pay within six months they both face an extra 30 months in prison.
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...ack___400_000/
Old 22-10-2011, 09:52   #996
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Another Compensation ruling. During a Proceeds of Crime hearing at Preston Crown Court this week, and subsequent to being sentenced to 6 years each earlier this year

Excellent news

Do the crime serve the time.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 10:48   #997
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post

HD Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:26   #998
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

And another scheme bites the dust

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/ad...ail/story.html

Quote:
FOUR men have admitted defrauding TV giant Virgin Media of up to £40 million.
The gang distributed an estimated 44,000 set-top boxes fitted with special software able to pick up Virgin channel packages without paying the company a fee
First CS one too by the looks of it?

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

EDIT: Didn't realise this was connected to the one back in Feb
Old 09-12-2011, 18:22   #999
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
And another scheme bites the dust

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/ad...ail/story.html

First CS one too by the looks of it?

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

EDIT: Didn't realise this was connected to the one back in Feb
Good news !
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:05   #1000
Felim_Doyle
cf.geek

Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Felim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of society
Send a message via ICQ to Felim_Doyle Send a message via AIM to Felim_Doyle Send a message via MSN to Felim_Doyle Send a message via Yahoo to Felim_Doyle
Post Re: Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Wow! The figure of 44,000 set-top boxes from one illegal operation is quite significant as a proportion of the VM customer base. How many more networks like this still exist I wonder? Although I would treat the technical content of the article with great scepticism, it's worrying that these people had contacts in Korea working on the decryption or at least the bypassing of the security measures.

I hope that such news items will gain greater public attention as, after all, no demand, no supply. If people realise the severity of the offence and the likelihood that their money will be wasted, perhaps they'll think twice before 'subscribing' to such schemes.
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Felim_Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 12:55   #1001
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aura

I thought this latest development in the the case of 44,000 fraudulent set-top boxes was worth bumping the thread for.
Quote:
Ringleader of fraud is ordered to pay back more than £7,000 by magistrates
http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Ri...ail/story.html
Old 16-04-2012, 23:28   #1002
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

I was told that there is a device that can be connected to the set top box with a cable or ADSL modem link with an ethernet cable and allows full access to all channels including the premium channels and all on-demand content including filmflex movies. For it to work you have to be an active Virgin TV customer so the M+ package and have a internet connection of at least 2mb. Now I don't know if this is a load of waffle but if it is true, that means Nagra has been cracked???? The thing with the dodgy boxes is that i'm sure broadcasters such as Viacom and BskyB will not like there content splashed out for free and they will be less likely to allow decent channels be carried on Virgin if its open to free loaders.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 07:38   #1003
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

N3 has not been cracked and it's strange that it needs a 2mb connection as even CS only needs to receive extremely little data..

Sounds like it could be a load of baloney unless more details surface..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 08:00   #1004
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
The thing with the dodgy boxes is that i'm sure broadcasters such as Viacom and BskyB will not like there content splashed out for free and they will be less likely to allow decent channels be carried on Virgin if its open to free loaders.
You say this like cardsharing isn't also a problem on Sky. It is. In fact at this point I'd say more people cardshare on sky than VM.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 09:46   #1005
Rockabilly Spike
Inactive

Rockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud of

£7000? really not much, my former boss at a PC repair store was done for £40,000 by Virgin Media for the same thing
Rockabilly Spike is offline   Reply With Quote