Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The General Cricket Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The General Cricket Thread
Closed Thread

Old 28-01-2012, 12:00   #976
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
8 down....... !!!!!! Where are you Richard? Denphone?

---------- Post added at 11:59 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

Oh, there you are
Yes and very unhappy with England.
Old 28-01-2012, 12:31   #977
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
8 down....... !!!!!! Where are you Richard? Denphone?

---------- Post added at 11:59 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

Oh, there you are

Well done to Pakistan i have to say that Saaf.

An amazingly bad collapse by England the worst i have seen in a while.

But i have seen England obtain a Loss out of the jaws of Victory a few times.

Old 28-01-2012, 13:50   #978
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/16772011.stm

Quote:
England crumbled to a 72-run defeat in the second Test against Pakistan in Abu Dhabi to lose the three-match series.

Chasing 145 to win, the tourists were bowled out for 72, with left-arm spinner Abdur Rehman taking 6-25.

Only Andrew Strauss and Matt Prior reached double figures as England wilted under the pressure applied by the Pakistan spin bowlers.

Earlier, Monty Panesar ended with 6-62 as Pakistan were bowled out for 214, before the tourists disintegrated.

Panesar's efforts looked to have England well placed to level the series, but instead Strauss's side slipped to their lowest-ever total against Pakistan and their first series defeat since 2009.

Quote:
Geoffrey Boycott,
Ex-England batsman & TMS summariser

I've seen some bad performances over the years but that's as bad as I've seen. I couldn't find any excuses and I wouldn't want to. They had to change the batting order, but to not be able to make 150? They were missing straight balls. And Morgan? If he's a Test player, I'm going to eat that famous hat. You'd have to see it to believe how bad it was
Old 28-01-2012, 14:35   #979
richard1960

I think thats probably an understatement by Geoff Boycott denphone,not being able to make 150 with the quality of batsmen England have the likes of Cook,Trott, Struass ect was simply very poor.

I know the Ball was turning a little more 2nd time around but as Boycs said they were missing straight balls,to make 327 in the 1st innings and only 72 in 36.1 overs in the 2nd is beyond excuses.

If this was being played in the sub continent i could understand a bit more as their pitches are very dead and dry but Abu Dhabi is not the sub continent,in fact it even looked a tad beeezy some days.

Old 28-01-2012, 16:48   #980
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Are you India in disguise??!!! Lololol....

But Fantasic performance by Pakistan, the best thing about it for me is the mental attitude. England were poor, but Pakistan bowled exceptionally well, and also did well to post a lead of @140 runs, so let's not take anything away from them.

Moshin Khan's (the coach) post match interview was very good. Humble in victory too. Hopefully the PCB award him with a long term coaching role. We all know about how the PCB has allowed political interference in Pakistan cricket in the past, and also contributing to a ever changing structure (both in coaches and players), hopefully they will be looking for stability now.

Beating England, however badly they played, is still a huge achievement, which will bring huge confidence to this team.

Here's hoping for a 3-0!
Old 29-01-2012, 10:53   #981
denphone
Still alive and fighting

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/16779845.stm

Quote:
England coach Andy Flower said he was not afraid to drop a batsman for the third Pakistan Test after their latest abject showing against spin bowling.

England were bowled out for 72 as they lost the second Test and the series.

"There were some familiar mistakes and we need our batsmen to learn very quickly," Flower told BBC Sport.

"We must pick what we think is best XI to win the game. If that means making the odd change here and there then we won't be afraid to do that."
Old 31-01-2012, 10:48   #982
denphone
Still alive and fighting

http://www.ecb.co.uk/ecb/about-ecb/m...316851,EN.html

Quote:
The England and Wales Cricket Board today announced a new broadcasting agreement with Sky Sports for the next four-year cycle from 2014-17.

Sky Sports has won the rights to show live domestic and international cricket in England and Wales as part of a package which includes all England’s home Test, one-day international and T20 series, selected England Lions and England Women’s fixtures plus 60 days of domestic cricket every season
Quote:
ECB chairman Giles Clarke said: “Sky Sports has raised the bar for all live television broadcasters with its innovative, informed and comprehensive coverage of cricket and we are very pleased to renew this agreement for a further four years.”

“No-one should be in any doubt that our partnership with Sky has been of immense benefit to the wider game. World-class support structures for our successful England teams, major ground improvements at county level, a flourishing coach education programme and a five per cent increase in participation at our ‘Focus’ clubs are all by-products of this relationship
Old 02-02-2012, 00:21   #983
richard1960

Its my understanding denphone re-the sky deal that the BBC did not even bother with a TV tender citing the cuts,ITV did not bother or anybody else so Giles Clarke did not have any bids apart from skys!!!!for the cricket coverage.

I am a bit concerned that there was no serious attempt to get say 20/20 live on terrestrial TV, but i think sky want all domestic coverage live for their money its all or nothing.

Which in my view could be bad for the longer state of the game but only time will tell on that one,i note this year 20/20 has been cut back in the domestic game with my county Essex getting 2 less games.

Personally i am not keen on Giles Clarke i remember when he tried to sell out our game to thet nice american chap whose name escapes me.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:48   #984
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

The answer to Englands problems?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MEQgciqZRQ
Old 02-02-2012, 14:41   #985
richard1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post

He is very good is it possible we could get him on the plane double quick for the start of tomorrows 3rd test in Dubai,he very probably is not as vulnerable to left arm spin as Mr Pietersen is.!

Old 02-02-2012, 14:52   #986
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post

Add 14 years on and he might be a solution to England's problems at the moment.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:53   #987
denphone
Still alive and fighting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/16837091

Quote:
This is more like it as Pakistan lose four early wickets after winning the toss and batting against unchanged England in the third Test and are currently 21-5.

---------- Post added at 07:53 ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 ----------

Quote:
Pakistan lose seven wickets in the first session after winning the toss against England in the third Test
Old 03-02-2012, 10:01   #988
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Stuart Broad takes four wickets as Pakistan are skittled out for 99 on day one of the third Test in Dubai.

A great start on the first day for England and now lets hope we can bat a bit better then in the first two tests.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:09   #989
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

It's only tea time. England could be 7 down by close of play.

It seems that whilst Boycs was happy to hypothetically bet his 3 houses in the last test, the Pakistanis probably bet their houses to be bowled out before tea on the first day
Old 03-02-2012, 13:27   #990
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Well the latest score is England are 104-6.