Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 22-06-2008, 22:07   #9871
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
A new letter
Could people please start writing letters to: David Davis
Done. Been a busy night tonight. Half a dozen letters in one night. Almost a personal best.

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

Quote:
...any chance I had of privacy are long gone.
Alexander Hanff
Sadly, one of the ironies of fighting for the right to privacy, the publicity.

Still, at least you can sleep at night, knowing people appreciate what you're doing for them.
Advertisement
Old 22-06-2008, 22:11   #9872
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Yeah it is kind of ironic that I have to sacrifice my privacy in order to try and protect everyone else's. You should -see- some of the emails I get from both extreme ends of the scale. I even get people phoning my house.

Alexander Hanff
Old 22-06-2008, 22:14   #9873
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Yeah it is kind of ironic that I have to sacrifice my privacy in order to try and protect everyone else's.

Alexander Hanff
With the uni degree you have taken and the selected path you are taking in next steps at Uni. Wouls almost say this is your futuure to walk in high places fighting the cause for the small mans privacy, human rights.. You must have had a insight of what was coming and started tpo prepare yourself for the fight

You are appreciated Alex for all you have given up for our privacy.

Old 22-06-2008, 22:39   #9874
roadrunner69
cf.member

roadrunner69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
With the uni degree you have taken and the selected path you are taking in next steps at Uni. Wouls almost say this is your futuure to walk in high places fighting the cause for the small mans privacy, human rights.. You must have had a insight of what was coming and started tpo prepare yourself for the fight

You are appreciated Alex for all you have given up for our privacy.

ditto

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by dephormation
Still, at least you can sleep at night, knowing people appreciate what you're doing for them.
I think you can sleep with a clear conscience Pete.
You have brought your own (much appreciated) talents to this fight.
Old 22-06-2008, 23:08   #9875
Portly_Giraffe
Inactive

Portly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the rough

Updated version of the Phorm Flyer now at:
http://www.inphormationdesk.org/Phorm_Flyer.pdf
Old 22-06-2008, 23:15   #9876
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

I want to add a Letters page to the NoDPI site with copies of letters sent by the public and replies they have received (from people like their MPs, the Home Office, MEPs, EU Commission, BT, Virgin etc.) so we can have them all in one place. Any communication you have sent (email or letter) which you think might be relevant and have received a reply to, please send me a PM so we can organise putting them on the NoDPI web site.

Thanks

Alexander Hanff
Old 22-06-2008, 23:37   #9877
roadrunner69
cf.member

roadrunner69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Kent Ertugrul : various posts, blogs, interviews, press releases etc

"Research shows that our technology will help overcome two of the biggest issues consumers have with the internet – irrelevant ads and security. Our system will deliver ads that are more relevant....blah blah"

Given that on this thread there are probably many thousands of years of combined internet experience.
Much of it in a 'techie friend' advisory capacity as well as many combined years at a professional advisory level.
Is there a single person on here with a single instance of ANYONE who has ever said in any way, shape or form (resisted the temptation)

"I wonder if you could advise me on how to get advertising that is more relevant"

In the words of the 'false prophet' hecklers (relevant?) in the Life of Brian

"he's makin' it up as he goes along!"
Old 22-06-2008, 23:39   #9878
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner69 View Post
Kent Ertugrul : various posts, blogs, interviews, press releases etc

"Research shows that our technology will help overcome two of the biggest issues consumers have with the internet – irrelevant ads and security. Our system will deliver ads that are more relevant....blah blah"
And the results of this research are available where? Who carried out the research?

Research states that I should wear purple socks and everyone should give me £10 a day for doing so, no really it does, no honestly...

Alexander Hanff
Old 22-06-2008, 23:49   #9879
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

its the only way they going to get ads on our screens is dpi injection, we all avoid ads like the plague, they sick of us blocking em and this is one big up yours to the world.
we pay the beeb to give us AD FREE shows and what not
Old 23-06-2008, 00:28   #9880
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I see the Home Office are late replying to requests under FOI...
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reques...mation_about_r

To be fair it looks like the original request did not state that it was made referencing the freedom of information act, so the HO may be able to get away with it!

Hank
Hmm, my understanding of the FOI Act 2000 is that it is a statutory requirement to respond to requests for information within 20 days. It does not matter if the initial enquiry mentioned FOI; it is encumbent upon the recipient to consider if an FOI process is appropriate and in this case it clearly was/is. For absolute clarity, statutory means it is the law that they comply. Oh dear .

The Act states:

Time for compliance with request

(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), a public authority must comply with section 1(1) promptly and in any event not later than the twentieth working day following the date of receipt.

The subsections qualify the compliance rules but the information requested should be readily available so delay seems unnecessary.
Old 23-06-2008, 00:49   #9881
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Hmm, my understanding of the FOI Act 2000 is that it is a statutory requirement to respond to requests for information within 20 days. It does not matter if the initial enquiry mentioned FOI; it is encumbent upon the recipient to consider if an FOI process is appropriate and in this case it clearly was/is. For absolute clarity, statutory means it is the law that they comply. Oh dear .

The Act states:

(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), a public authority must comply with section 1(1) promptly and in any event not later than the twentieth working day following the date of receipt.

The subsections qualify the compliance rules but the information requested should be readily available so delay seems unnecessary.
Unhappy about the response you got? >link<
If ...
  • You didn't get a reply within 20 working days
  • You did not get all of the information that you requested or
  • Your request was rejected, but without a reason valid under the law
... you can

Ask for an Internal Review at the public authority.
If that doesn't help, complain to the Information Commisioner.

Complaining to the Information Commissioner
If you are still unhappy after the public authority has done their internal review, then you can complain to the Information Commisioner. To do this read Complaints about Freedom of Information on the Information Commisioner's website.

Warning: There is a backlog of work at the Information Commissioner, and it can take literally years to get resolution from them.

Well... we already know that complaining to the Information Commisioner can be a complete waste of time.
Old 23-06-2008, 00:54   #9882
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:

The Act states:

Trouble is, this Government seems to be no different to Robert Mugabe in Zimbabwe. They are either incompetent or they must assume they are above the law.

Has any British Government ever cited incompetence as a defence I wonder?
Old 23-06-2008, 00:56   #9883
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
Trouble is, this Government seems to be no different to Robert Mugabe in Zimbabwe. They are either incompetent or they must assume they are above the law.

Has any British Government ever cited incompetence as a defence I wonder?
Perhaps Gordon Brown thinks he is above the Law since he isn't the official elected prime minister.
Old 23-06-2008, 01:16   #9884
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Good points. Ah well, probably best that we keep our eye on the ball (phOrm)

EDIT: The visual impact of the suggested placards could be improved imho. They are too 'wordy' and may turn off the average punter. The theme needs to be more instantly recognisable and a prompt for curiosity. How about a black placard, one word in bold white: ISPy ? It has a street cred appeal and we'll be selling T shirts like this soon
Old 23-06-2008, 01:46   #9885
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Good points. Ah well, probably best that we keep our eye on the ball (phOrm)

EDIT: The visual impact of the suggested placards could be improved imho. They are too 'wordy' and may turn off the average punter. The theme needs to be more instantly recognisable and a prompt for curiosity. How about a black placard, one word in bold white: ISPy ? It has a street cred appeal and we'll be selling T shirts like this soon
The linked imaged is not placards. As I said, they are the current ads being run on AdWords, I posted the image to give people -ideas- for placards, not to copy for placards, I thought that was clear in my original post.

Alexander Hanff
Closed Thread