Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

Old 25-05-2012, 20:49   #916
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: General Sky TV Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
The improvements that 4K will bring are huge Den!

The jump from our current 720p broadcasts will be massive (much more than SD to HD)

Take a look at the diagram in this link for a visual representation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Di...VCD_to_4K).svg
Broadcast HD in the UK is 1080i, not 720p.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-05-2012, 20:51   #917
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Yes they did , they had trials of ITV HD and BBC HD with some HD On Demand , they're well and truly playing catchup with HD and 3D now though aren't they.
Well first of all Virgin have most of the HD channels that are important as such and secondly 3D is a overhyped fad that will never be taken in by the majority of people who simply have no interest in it.
Old 25-05-2012, 20:58   #918
nn012
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media TV, Broadband and Phone.
nn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quads

Trial or not it still puts to sleep your statement about Sky being at the forefront of pay TV innovation. If I was paying a HD tax I would expect VM to offer me more but as it stands now there's more HD channels and HD and 3D VOD content than I could watch and still consider it value for money, so I don't think they need to catch up to anything.

PS. the gimmick that is 3D gives me a headache so I have less interest in it and hope VM eventually do too.
nn012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 21:36   #919
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn012 View Post
Trial or not it still puts to sleep your statement about Sky being at the forefront of pay TV innovation. If I was paying a HD tax I would expect VM to offer me more but as it stands now there's more HD channels and HD and 3D VOD content than I could watch and still consider it value for money, so I don't think they need to catch up to anything.

PS. the gimmick that is 3D gives me a headache so I have less interest in it and hope VM eventually do too.
I'm made up for you glad your happy with your products its half the battle and your absolutely right it depends what part of a package is important to you as a customer.

We'll have to agree to disagree re Sky's innovation , in my opinion they've been at the forefront of the HD boom and have innovated in many ways such as Football first (Match Choice) , First UK 3D channel however I agree with your point re they weren't the first platform to broadcast HD , horses for courses whatever suits you the user.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 08:09   #920
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Neither were first to broadcast tv...so one might argue first innovator was BBC.

So in argument of who is best, and first counts, does that mean I win?

colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 09:41   #921
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
Neither were first to broadcast tv...so one might argue first innovator was BBC.

So in argument of who is best, and first counts, does that mean I win?
Yes and the master siad he will donate the prize as well which is very kind of him.
Old 26-05-2012, 09:55   #922
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...l#post35433044

In the above thread they are discussing Sport Extra which is on Sky Go. Where is this channel as I can't see it on my Go? Or does it only appear when something is showing?
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 10:09   #923
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Oops posted wrong thread,..but read this on other thread

Sky sports extra "is available for sky custmers (online via sky go). But not for Virgin Media customers. Because we don't have access to sky go.

It is not on the red button"
Old 26-05-2012, 10:10   #924
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexDiamond View Post
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...l#post35433044

In the above thread they are discussing Sport Extra which is on Sky Go. Where is this channel as I can't see it on my Go? Or does it only appear when something is showing?
I believe it's only available currently on Sky Go via PC/Laptop.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 10:12   #925
colin25
Inactive

on channel 499..has what is on now and something cricket(y)..not interested

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

Oh, and I think muppetman is right (i keep think of mighty mouse when I use mm )
Old 28-05-2012, 15:07   #926
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Channel 4 to launch three dedicated channels for their Paralympics coverage and will be available on Sky in standard and high definition versions (launched in the Sports section).

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/ne...-coverage.html
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 15:33   #927
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Channel 4 to launch three dedicated channels for their Paralympics coverage and will be available on Sky in standard and high definition versions (launched in the Sports section).

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/ne...-coverage.html
The question we have to ask again is will these three dedicated channels be on Virgin as it seems yet again they are slow off the mark.
Old 28-05-2012, 16:39   #928
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Den, complain after a week, not an hour.......

Well all else fails - be reasonable.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 16:55   #929
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Den, complain after a week, not an hour.......

Well all else fails - be reasonable.
All l am saying is why can't Virgin be first out of the blocks for once instead of being the tail wagging the dog as that often seems to be the case with Sky announcing things first and then Virgin it seems still running round the track but anyway apoligies if l sound a bit grumpy Hugh.
Old 28-05-2012, 16:57   #930
colin25
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
All l am saying is why can't Virgin be first out of the blocks for once instead of being the tail wagging the dog as that often seems to be the case with Sky announcing things first and then Virgin it seems still running round the track but anyway apoligies if l sound a bit grumpy Hugh.
Don't worry, it's when you start sounding like the rest of the 7 dwarfs,..then we might start worrying