Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 29-10-2014, 04:19   #886
love Virgin2013
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media VIP
love Virgin2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

I have just checked on my Apps page on My Virgin Media and my Spotify is still showing as Premium that im on.

also had no problems with using Spotify but they do seem to be with Virgin 1 month then gone again so not sure whats going on with them.

Also on my Spotify account page this is message i get

Subscription status
You are currently using Spotify Premium. Your account is associated with our partner Virgin Media, please refer to Virgin Media for questions regarding your subscription.

so it seems that they are still with Virgin.
Advertisement
Old 29-10-2014, 08:55   #887
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Much as I hate to admit it, if HBO launched a streaming version in the UK and dumped the Sky deal, I think HBO would see their UK income down by many millions of pounds.

Given that they can't dump the Sky deal for several years, it's academic anyway.

When the Sky deal does expire, streaming will be more popular, but I still wouldn't rule out another HBO/Sky deal at that point.

I think Sky want it for 'up-market' prestige and a perceived USP and don't care if the number of viewers they get doesn't justify the cost.

I don't think there is a big enough demand for the HBO type of gritty show in the UK, otherwise, why would Channel 5 have dropped such shows as Justified and Sons of Anarchy?
Stepping aside from technology, HBO Go would effecctively be a stand-alone drama channel albeit one with the possible benefit of box set archives. Stand-alone channels have worked well for films and sport but I'm unaware of any for drama. People subscribe to sports channels pretty much regardless of how their teams are performing but if HBO had a poor season of drama I could see people cancelling quite quickly.
Old 29-10-2014, 09:19   #888
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

HBO must have a large back-catalogue by now. That alone might be worth subscribing to.
Old 29-10-2014, 10:09   #889
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by love Virgin2013 View Post
I have just checked on my Apps page on My Virgin Media and my Spotify is still showing as Premium that im on.

also had no problems with using Spotify but they do seem to be with Virgin 1 month then gone again so not sure whats going on with them.

Also on my Spotify account page this is message i get

Subscription status
You are currently using Spotify Premium. Your account is associated with our partner Virgin Media, please refer to Virgin Media for questions regarding your subscription.

so it seems that they are still with Virgin.
when i checked on apps there were no offers on spotify? is it back on again?
Old 29-10-2014, 10:25   #890
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

I can see Sky still having first run exclusives for many years, with the episodes moving to HBO Go after a certain period of time.
I fail to see why Sky and HBO will cancel their arrangement after the newest deal runs out. IF HBO Go launches over here, it will simply give non-Sky subscribers a cheaper and easier way of watching their back catalogue.
I can't see it effecting Sky too much, it will only really hurt Sky if they lose the first run exclusivity or the rights to have the on-demand stuff on Sky too. Like PB says, HBO would probably lose a fair chunk of money if they cancelled their Sky deal. So I can see them keeping the deal with Sky as it stands, and also possibly making more money from possible launching HBO Go.
Old 29-10-2014, 12:27   #891
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Much as I hate to admit it, if HBO launched a streaming version in the UK and dumped the Sky deal, I think HBO would see their UK income down by many millions of pounds.

Given that they can't dump the Sky deal for several years, it's academic anyway.

When the Sky deal does expire, streaming will be more popular, but I still wouldn't rule out another HBO/Sky deal at that point.

I think Sky want it for 'up-market' prestige and a perceived USP and don't care if the number of viewers they get doesn't justify the cost.

I don't think there is a big enough demand for the HBO type of gritty show in the UK, otherwise, why would Channel 5 have dropped such shows as Justified and Sons of Anarchy?
I don't think I'm alone in these forums when I say that I would like to watch more HBO material.

I would like to see them offer either a channel with past productions on it, with a red button facility to more recent pay per view material, or alternatively a subscription streaming service with the most recent material being PPV.

---------- Post added at 12:25 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Stepping aside from technology, HBO Go would effecctively be a stand-alone drama channel albeit one with the possible benefit of box set archives. Stand-alone channels have worked well for films and sport but I'm unaware of any for drama. People subscribe to sports channels pretty much regardless of how their teams are performing but if HBO had a poor season of drama I could see people cancelling quite quickly.
Exactly, yes, although I can see HBO being popular for some time to come!

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
I can see Sky still having first run exclusives for many years, with the episodes moving to HBO Go after a certain period of time.
I fail to see why Sky and HBO will cancel their arrangement after the newest deal runs out. IF HBO Go launches over here, it will simply give non-Sky subscribers a cheaper and easier way of watching their back catalogue.
I can't see it effecting Sky too much, it will only really hurt Sky if they lose the first run exclusivity or the rights to have the on-demand stuff on Sky too. Like PB says, HBO would probably lose a fair chunk of money if they cancelled their Sky deal. So I can see them keeping the deal with Sky as it stands, and also possibly making more money from possible launching HBO Go.
Yes, Sky's deal runs to 2020, but the exclusivity is only for the first run stuff. HBO can only benefit from adding a subscription channel and/or streaming service in the UK without breaching Sky's contract.
Old 29-10-2014, 13:03   #892
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
HBO can only benefit from adding a subscription channel and/or streaming service in the UK without breaching Sky's contract.
If HBO entered the streaming service game they'd have to make the pricing pretty competitive i.e. much cheaper than Now TV which offers HBO content and more.

I certainly wouldn't be subscribing to an HBO only service unless it offered me something more than I already get.
Old 29-10-2014, 13:28   #893
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
If HBO entered the streaming service game they'd have to make the pricing pretty competitive i.e. much cheaper than Now TV which offers HBO content and more.

I certainly wouldn't be subscribing to an HBO only service unless it offered me something more than I already get.
I haven't actually seen the content of the Now Tv box but I think I'm right in saying that it doesn't provided the complete back catalogue of programmes we have been talking about here.

I was tempted by Now Tv until I realised that programmes were pulled with little notice - this is no good for me. If we could have a more stable system in terms of programmes remaining on the site for a good period of time (like Netflix), together with first run PPV, I would be more than happy. I would also rather have everything on my TIVO rather than have to purchase alternative equipment.

So a subscription service through Virgin Media would be perfect for me.
Old 29-10-2014, 22:38   #894
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I don't think I'm alone in these forums when I say that I would like to watch more HBO material.

I would like to see them offer either a channel with past productions on it, with a red button facility to more recent pay per view material, or alternatively a subscription streaming service with the most recent material being PPV.

---------- Post added at 12:25 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

Exactly, yes, although I can see HBO being popular for some time to come!

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 ----------

Yes, Sky's deal runs to 2020, but the exclusivity is only for the first run stuff. HBO can only benefit from adding a subscription channel and/or streaming service in the UK without breaching Sky's contract.

Thanks awfully for rewording my post. Cheers.
Old 30-10-2014, 10:18   #895
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Rupert Murdoch urges media firms to unite to fight Amazon and Netflix.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...netflix-amazon
Old 30-10-2014, 12:24   #896
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
[/B]

Thanks awfully for rewording my post. Cheers.
I was agreeing with you, Harry, and also making the point clear for those who may be a bit confused about this.
Old 30-10-2014, 12:25   #897
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
I'm sure they have our best interests at heart
Old 30-10-2014, 12:29   #898
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...netflix-amazon
What? Mr Murdoch wants a bit of competition?

Well blow me down. However, glad to see he's catching up.
Old 31-10-2014, 01:58   #899
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

WWE network will be available in UK from November 18th you can sign up on November 3rd and it will be free during November.
Also they are scrapping the 6 month commitment too it will now be $9.99p/m on a month by month basis.
The WWE Network will cost the equivalant of $9.99p/m which works out at about £6.20p/m, i have included a screenshot of the email i got from WWE.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitledv.png (191.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 31-10-2014, 05:24   #900
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
What? Mr Murdoch wants a bit of competition?

Well blow me down. However, glad to see he's catching up.
He only wants competition when it suits his interests.