Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Budget, March 2012

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Budget, March 2012
View Poll Results: What do you think of this years Budget?
It's great, I am better off! 8 14.81%
Utter Tosh, losing out again! 19 35.19%
Neither gaining or losing (What the chancellor has given with one hand has taken with the other hand) 17 31.48%
I'm Unsure 10 18.52%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 23-03-2012, 12:04   #76
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: The Budget, March 2012

I emailed my MP to back an EDM on beer duty escalator which for own reasons was declined but the reply included

Quote:
Ministers have already taken a number of other steps to support British pubs. A community right to buy has been introduced which will enable residents to save struggling pubs by taking them over rather than seeing them lie empty and derelict. We are also cutting red tape to make it is easier for pub owners to attract new business by putting on live music events.

As well as acting to reverse the last Government’s hike on cider tax, this Government has taken action to promote responsible drinking by introducing a minimum juice content for cider. As you may also be aware the Coalition Agreement is clear that we will ban the sale of alcohol below cost price.

This is on top of the doubling of small business rate relief for another year, which will help publicans across the country during these difficult economic times, and the decision to appoint Bob Neill as the Minister responsible for community pubs.
Good to see action on cider. I'd like to see similar on real beers too, duty free if your production is less than 70 hectolitres in a rolling 12 month period. Currently there is reduced rate at less than 60,000 hl so introducing a duty free band in line with cider would not change much in income.

On the budget I get hit because at the moment I get additional income for a job relocation. Although this is an expense, because it's fixed over a period the company work back to a gross figure and add to salary so I loose child benefit.

Surprised that people haven't suggesting banding the booze duty to hit more expensive items (within type) more so the percentage on a bottle of plonk is less than for a top vintage. I mean adding 5p (or 10 or 20) hits a £5 bottle more than a £500 bottle.
Old 23-03-2012, 13:24   #77
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

One things Osbourne should considered before dropping 50% who these people where. I bet lot prem footballers laughing at payrise wont put into businesses.

Film stars, pop stars how many these was bank bosses, council bosses. Ours earns above this threshold he just been given nice payrise by the move. All these wont re-invest as they dont own businesses.

How many these 50% earners are actually business people who in position to re-invest.
Old 23-03-2012, 18:16   #78
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: Todays BUDGET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Personally, I think that taxing different people different amounts is unfair. Fair would be to tax everyone the same (% of income)
if you want fairness then everyone should be paid the same as well.

you want a capitalist pay system with a communist tax system. eg. the banks to profit all they want in good times but then become bailed out in bad times, and people to earn huge amounts but only pay small taxes.

What I find laughable in this budget is the huge drops in corporation tax, literally giving away money to the likes of tesco who have their minister hotline. Bear in mind the corp tax drops only affect large companies not small firms.

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
The big questions should be.Is this the budget to get the economy moving,growing and get unemployment down.Or is it merely a cost cutting exercise?

Will the super rich actually take their tax cut and invest it in this country or will they just carry on investing it abroad?
I think we both know the answer hence your question
Old 23-03-2012, 18:18   #79
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
if you want fairness then everyone should be paid the same as well.

you want a capitalist pay system with a communist tax system. eg. the banks to profit all they want in good times but then become bailed out in bad times, and people to earn huge amounts but only pay small taxes.

What I find laughable in this budget is the huge drops in corporation tax, literally giving away money to the likes of tesco who have their minister hotline. Bear in mind the corp tax drops only affect large companies not small firms.
Corporation tax needs to be competitive with the rest of the world if we are to attract companies to this country and keep the ones we have .

Old 23-03-2012, 18:33   #80
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Corporation tax needs to be competitive with the rest of the world if we are to attract companies to this country and keep the ones we have .
But we already have a low corporation tax.

Australia 30%
Germany 30%
Denmark 25%
France 33%
India 33% (and massive growth)
Japan 40%
New Zealand 28%
Norway 28%

most of the countries with lower rates are ones with higher crimes, more social disorder etc. are we competing against the likes of afghanistan?

Big corp companies are not job creators, small firms are.
Old 23-03-2012, 18:38   #81
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
But we already have a low corporation tax.

Australia 30%
Germany 30%
Denmark 25%
France 33%
India 33% (and massive growth)
Japan 40%
New Zealand 28%
Norway 28%

most of the countries with lower rates are ones with higher crimes, more social disorder etc. are we competing against the likes of afghanistan?

Big corp companies are not job creators, small firms are.
what's wrong with the fourth most attractive country in terms of corporate tax ?.I notice you have tried to justify high corporate tax because India has "massive growth" ,India has some of the lowest wages in the world which more than of sets the high tax

Old 23-03-2012, 19:09   #82
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
what's wrong with the fourth most attractive country in terms of corporate tax ?.I notice you have tried to justify high corporate tax because India has "massive growth" ,India has some of the lowest wages in the world which more than of sets the high tax
which you have just proven my next point.

lowering corp tax isnt going to bring companies here, having a higher corp tax also probably wont make them leave.

there is bigger factors involved such as costs of doing business here and cost of wages.

I know why corp tax is been lowered and its not for the economy.

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
It's a pity that GB and Labour crushed small companies by abandoning the £10k lower limit on corporation tax and the lower rate for small enterprises. I had to write a cheque for £700 for the IR just yesterday. Money that I as a small organisation can ill afford especially as it's going to be wasted on (insert your favourite deroratory term) bints that lay on their backs dropping sprogs whilst watching Jeremy Kyle.
so what labour did makes whats happening now ok? trying to understand the point of what you saying.

isnt the discussion about this budget?

also why do people think any tax increase is always directly related to welfare?

to be fair to labour they did achieve growth so that policy is harder to slam, whilst we are not keeping up with other countries under this government. The purpose of budgets is not supposed to be to make taxpayers richer.

Also can we have new options to the poll please, I want utter tosh, but I have gained as an option.

thanks.
Old 23-03-2012, 19:11   #83
martyh

Quote:
which you have just proven my next point.

lowering corp tax isnt going to bring companies here, having a higher corp tax also probably wont make them leave.

there is bigger factors involved such as costs of doing business here and cost of wages.

I know why corp tax is been lowered and its not for the economy.

ok ,so we have high corporate tax and low wages putting even more people into poverty and onto benefits how is that going to benefit anyone

Old 23-03-2012, 19:12   #84
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
It's a pity that GB and Labour crushed small companies by abandoning the £10k lower limit on corporation tax and the lower rate for small enterprises. I had to write a cheque for £700 for the IR just yesterday. Money that I as a small organisation can ill afford especially as it's going to be wasted on (insert your favourite deroratory term) bints that lay on their backs dropping sprogs whilst watching Jeremy Kyle.
Out of £10,000 in tax only 24p goes to the unemployed apparently. Even if we widen the net:

24p on the unemployed
0.8p on admin
£1.48 on family and children (inc child benefit etc)

Actually quite a small amount when you consider the elderly rack in £3.61.

Of course this isn't exactly it works but it does go to show quite how small the amount the 'bings that lay on their backs dropping sprogs whilst watching Jeremy Kyle' take of the national spending.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...?newsfeed=true

If we stopped helping old people we would be loaded.
Old 23-03-2012, 19:14   #85
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Out of £10,000 in tax only 24p goes to the unemployed apparently. Even if we widen the net:

24p on the unemployed
0.8p on admin
£1.48 on family and children (inc child benefit etc)

Actually quite a small amount when you consider the elderly rack in £3.61.

Of course this isn't exactly it works but it does go to show quite how small the amount the 'bings that lay on their backs dropping sprogs whilst watching Jeremy Kyle' take of the national spending.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...?newsfeed=true
nice to see a post based on facts.

I noticed the government included pensions in the massive social security budget figure they read out to the TV cameras, which is why that figure seems so high as a 3rd of the budget.
Old 23-03-2012, 21:36   #86
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

IF you look at look this way, the budget has put up everything that MAKES the government money, as they know that if they put another TWO pounds on fags, people would still buy them.

Fuel duty, we need fuel for our cars, they could put that up and bingo MORE money for the government.

ANYTHING that makes the government they will increase.

WE pay MORE tax than anyone, the only people that government help out is the rich, Tax for the Rich should be higher than it is, IF you think all the houses in central London for example, these are worth millions, but by the government reducing the tax to 45p is helping them out.

BUT, they want to decrease the salaries of police officers down to £19.000, they put there lives on the line each minute they are on duty, would you be a copper.

Dr, Nurses, police officers, Ambulances and fireman, Armed services should be on a decent wage, but this has been cut due to budget cuts. Who is winning - it certainly aint the worker.
Old 24-03-2012, 23:55   #87
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

This article interesting

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...t-7584112.html

Refers to the crafty adjustment which put many into 40p tax bracket people who as low £41,450 which in modern living not that high if they only bread earner.

Thousands will be caught out these the people which will pay for the 45p tax rate.

Shift to make more moderate pay more. Some will say right to even playground but if the rich top earners want all the money then they should suffer more the pain.
Old 24-03-2012, 23:59   #88
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Yes but they will only be paying 40p tax on the earnings above that figure, hardly a vast swing
Old 26-03-2012, 09:46   #89
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Yes but they will only be paying 40p tax on the earnings above that figure, hardly a vast swing
indeed.

someone earning 1k above the threshold eg. will probably still gain due to the increase of tax allowance?
Old 26-03-2012, 10:11   #90
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

The chancellor isn't stupid, Caviar hasn't gone up has it, l bet anything that at the Commons's, where l used to work about 20 years ago, they get most of there stuff cheap, and hardly pay any tax on it.

As typically, Tories give to the rich and take from the poor.
Closed Thread