Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The iPhone thread

Old 05-07-2009, 20:00   #841
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age
re: The iPhone thread

I'm using it - it does do the calendar...its Mail that it doesn't sync over the air. Though I have my Gmail setup as IMAP so its as good as synch'ed

---------- Post added at 20:00 ---------- Previous post was at 19:59 ----------

And also if you are sharing a calendar (ie if you have access to your other halfs calendar like i do) you can only see your own but in googlemail on the web you can see two at once a-la-outlook 2003/7 etc
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2009, 20:04   #842
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Thanks for that, don't suppose you've any good instructions for setting up iMap access? Will that work ok over the standard data bearers or will I need wifi?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 20:17   #843
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Just follow the set-up of the iPhone's mail client for using Google Mail and make sure IMAP is enabled in your Gmail account's settings. Although I simply did it via the specific "Gmail" option on the iPhone, rather than following Google's instructions in the first link - apparently that changes how messages are archived & deleted.

No need for WiFi.

Google Sync doesn't do OTA sync yet for email, but hopefully that will be something Google will change...
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:43   #844
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Where's the best deals for the iphone at the moment? From 02 directly or some place like the carphone warehouse?
Old 06-07-2009, 11:53   #845
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

All the prices are the same for the new phones.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:27   #846
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
All the prices are the same for the new phones.
But if you get it in a store you can walk out with it right?

Do stores accept pac codes?
Old 06-07-2009, 12:40   #847
Raistlin
Inactive

Yes, if they have stock, and it only appears to be Apple stores that have stock at the moment.

Yes, you can give them your PAC and it should take only a few days to go through.

TBH after the experience I had yesterday in the Apple store in Cambridge I would recommend going to them any time, the guy I spoke to there was really good.
Old 06-07-2009, 15:38   #848
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

I got my original iPhone from an O2 store and they were also quite good. I was already on O2 and wanted to move my number to the new contract and it only took 48hrs (with a temporary number being given in the meantime). Be aware that some Apple Stores can get quite busy for alot of the day - so I would suggest going in just before closing time (the one at Sheffield is ALWAYS packed out with not enough staff manning it).

---------- Post added at 15:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:35 ----------

Quote:
Thanks for that, don't suppose you've any good instructions for setting up iMap access? Will that work ok over the standard data bearers or will I need wifi?
Works over 3G/Edge/GPRS and doesn't take too long even over GPRS. My Phone is get to retrieve mail every hour as it doesn't do push just yet.

Instructions on Google's website for imap setup. I tried using the inbuilt gmail setup in the iphone mail app but it never has worked for me.
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 14:30   #849
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek S View Post
I love Apples customer service.

My 3G had a small crack in the back of it. Took it into their store and within 5 minutes walked out with a shiny new one (sadly not a 3GS) without any hassle whatsoever. All activated and all I needed to do is re-sync my contacts on it.

And I also get an extension on the warranty.
I have a small crack at the bottom of mine leading from the corner of the ipod socket. I wonder If I can get a replacement like yours.

Did you need to take any paperwork with you?
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 14:38   #850
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

It was from the ringer silence switch creeping towards the headphone jack.

Its certainly worth a shot if you have an Apple store nearby. I was expecting to be interrogated about dropping it or other abuse but got handed a new one with no fuss at all.

No paperwork or ID needed.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 14:57   #851
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek S View Post
It was from the ringer silence switch creeping towards the headphone jack.

Its certainly worth a shot if you have an Apple store nearby. I was expecting to be interrogated about dropping it or other abuse but got handed a new one with no fuss at all.

No paperwork or ID needed.
2 Apple stores in Manchester so I'll swing by one when I get the chance.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 16:30   #852
Raistlin
Inactive

Anybody know what details/information I need to be able to use 'The Cloud' or 'BT Openzone' wifi hotspots with my iPhone?
Old 07-07-2009, 16:36   #853
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Anybody know what details/information I need to be able to use 'The Cloud' or 'BT Openzone' wifi hotspots with my iPhone?
If you are on a contract I am sure the first time you try to log on, you have to enter your phone number on a web page that pops up in safari.
Old 07-07-2009, 17:38   #854
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
If you are on a contract I am sure the first time you try to log on, you have to enter your phone number on a web page that pops up in safari.
I did..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 20:07   #855
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
TBH after the experience I had yesterday in the Apple store in Cambridge I would recommend going to them any time, the guy I spoke to there was really good.
Yup. The guy who served me when I bought my 3GS was extremely helpful. My only issue with the Apple Store in Cambridge is that they need more staff - it gets quite busy in there!
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote