Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 14-01-2012, 11:57   #841
TuesdayWildchild
Inactive

Location: started life in Kent moved to Lincolnshire then Bedfordshire back to Lincs next who knows.
Services: Virgin phone,tv,internet, 2 virgin moblies. Freeview, Wii,Sky freeview,moblie satalite system.
TuesdayWildchild is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Tech View Post
Supposedly, I get the speed upgrade between April-July... bring it on! In the heck area.

I also got the e-mail saying I was on the fastest package (lolwut) and I would be upgraded to 120Mb soon. But I'm on 30Mb, so go figure.
I've also now recived said email
TuesdayWildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-01-2012, 12:02   #842
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

They obviously sent it to all VM BB customers by mistake, rather than the sub-divisions.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 12:08   #843
TuesdayWildchild
Inactive

Location: started life in Kent moved to Lincolnshire then Bedfordshire back to Lincs next who knows.
Services: Virgin phone,tv,internet, 2 virgin moblies. Freeview, Wii,Sky freeview,moblie satalite system.
TuesdayWildchild is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
They obviously sent it to all VM BB customers by mistake, rather than the sub-divisions.
but I got the sorry email 12hrs before the upgrade email.
Did they know they were gonna make a mistake
TuesdayWildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 12:43   #844
TonyHoyle
Inactive

TonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about them

I got the email saying the upgrade announcement was a mistake (twice!) but nothing about 2014. OTOH I only have 'S' and the modem isn't even plugged in.. it was only there to avoid the early termination fee.
TonyHoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 12:50   #845
carbon60
Needs more upload

Services: TiVo V6, TiVo 500GB, Samsung V Box, Full House TV + Sky Sports SD, VIVID 200, Talk Weekends Phone
carbon60 is on a distinguished roadcarbon60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginruinedntl View Post
i think the customers that will benefit the most will be those on the 2mb and 5mb, getting 5mb and 10mb will be a huge improvement for them. Wonder how many customers are on those tiers.

Just checked the package bundle on virgin seems as though i'd only save around £1.50 dropping down to L broadband from XL broadband, tv and phone so i'll probably just stick on that rather than go through retentions as i pay a few pounds less than new customers as we were going to quit for sky.
I did exactly the same thing last night - I don't need 60Mbit so I thought I'd investigate downgrading. I have the same as you (XL everything), I think although you save money going down to L Broadband the Triple XL bundle discount reduces/disappears which almost completely cancels out the saving.

Now a question no-one has asked so far is this. When XL30 came out there was a small reduction in the monthly bill if you moved from XL20. Now since XL20 and XL30 will both become XL60 will XL20 customers get this small discount to their bills?
carbon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 13:02   #846
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
And here's me just signed up for 50Mb (though not installing until March)

Is it just download or are we getting any upload speed change as well (I already live in a increased upload area)
Can you not cancel it if it benefits you to do so? Btw, are you aware that your age on profile has gone down from 59 to 43
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 13:04   #847
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Can you not cancel it if it benefits you to do so? Btw, are you aware that your age on profile has gone down from 59 to 43
I suppose the question is how did you know

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 13:05   #848
mark1234
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV XL, Broadband XL (60), Phone XL, Windows 7 Media Centre
mark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
It might have something to do with their entire IT system being a good 5 years out of date.
They only switched to IE8 a few months ago (From IE6!). Everyone's still on Windows XP / Server 2003 machines.
This is all too common. My place (large corporate) switched IE6 to 8 last year. The XP to Win7 migration is being planned, but given how long the Win95 to XP migration took, I don't expect most people will have Win7 until next year.
mark1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 13:05   #849
virginruinedntl
Inactive

virginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon60 View Post
Now a question no-one has asked so far is this. When XL30 came out there was a small reduction in the monthly bill if you moved from XL20. Now since XL20 and XL30 will both become XL60 will XL20 customers get this small discount to their bills?
There are no price differences in tiers, there was just a £30 1-off fee so all 60mb customers will be paying the same as each other just as they do now.
virginruinedntl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 13:25   #850
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1234 View Post
This is all too common. My place (large corporate) switched IE6 to 8 last year. The XP to Win7 migration is being planned, but given how long the Win95 to XP migration took, I don't expect most people will have Win7 until next year.
As with anything regarding VM, it's very much a case of "if it costs us money, we're not interested".
Actually in saying that, I've seen VM blow money on projects that were poorly designed in the first place in a pathetic attempt at "saving" money.

Example: Certain department has about 80 people in it. They just about manage to do the job effectively. Virgin decides to commission some software to make the job more efficient, spending (rumoured) thousands and thousands building it.
Software arrives and Virgin immediately lets 40 people go - halving the team, because they have this lovely new software that makes their job a doddle.
As you may expect, the software doesn't work and within a couple of weeks, the staff are asked to go back to the "old" way of doing it. However, those 40 people are never rehired, so the remaining 40 get to do twice as much work as before (or rather, they get the job done but only about half as well as before).

Every now and then, some manager type would come along, ask why nobody's using the software, demand it be used and then give up after a week or two when he realises that it doesn't work.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 13:33   #851
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
As with anything regarding VM, it's very much a case of "if it costs us money, we're not interested".
Actually in saying that, I've seen VM blow money on projects that were poorly designed in the first place in a pathetic attempt at "saving" money.
This immediately makes me think of Harmony, custom built at phenomenal cost, hideously complicated, and replaced by Telewest's off the shelf ICOMS.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 13:44   #852
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
This immediately makes me think of Harmony, custom built at phenomenal cost, hideously complicated, and replaced by Telewest's off the shelf ICOMS.
All i will say is may the force be with you

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 13:45   #853
starfish
cf.member

starfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, we will never have to upgrade again, LOL! We upgraded to 50 Mb just over a year and it's been great. Not sure we need a 100 Mb connection but it will be nice to have it for free, especially since it comes with a double increase of upload speed, too.
starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 13:57   #854
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
You're the only one confused... Age has always been correct (although for some weird reason it does go up by one each year..

Why can't I cancel it? and why would it benefit me to do so?

And the most obvious question why are you asking pathetic questions??
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 13:58   #855
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
Why is it that a huge company like VM seems unable to correctly send emails?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I wonder why checks aren't made prior to a mass mailing campaign. These errors make VM and it's staff look foolish.

Quote:

Example: Certain department has about 80 people in it. They just about manage to do the job effectively. Virgin decides to commission some software to make the job more efficient, spending (rumoured) thousands and thousands building it.
Software arrives and Virgin immediately lets 40 people go - halving the team, because they have this lovely new software that makes their job a doddle.
As you may expect, the software doesn't work and within a couple of weeks, the staff are asked to go back to the "old" way of doing it. However, those 40 people are never rehired, so the remaining 40 get to do twice as much work as before (or rather, they get the job done but only about half as well as before).

Every now and then, some manager type would come along, ask why nobody's using the software, demand it be used and then give up after a week or two when he realises that it doesn't work.
Reminds me of the time I spent working in Local Government

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I suppose the question is how did you know
It displays it at the left hand side for some people. If you look back at some of her previous posts, it says that she is 59. I'm not sure if this a software glitch or something else.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote