Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 18-01-2011, 12:25   #841
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerman View Post
Based on past experience of the whole introduction of digital TV over all platforms there is every reason to concerned. These new technologies initially seem simple to distribute but frequently prove a lot more problematic in practice. If the third tuner was a simple software upgrade it would have been implemented by now. There is obviously a problem somewhere with the introduction of the Tivo box.

The whole razzmatazz of the original announcement and then...............silence.
TiVo in the US and indeed around the world has never had three tuners, so TiVo have had to write software bespoke for VM.

The 3rd tuner will be enabled in March. Stop worrying

---------- Post added at 12:25 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
Not sure about the 3rd tuner problem on V+.. I was a beta tester for the telewest TVdrive, along time before V+ and the 3rd tuner worked from day 1, 3 months before launch.

I'm in the won't order till it's working camp. It's too easy to say 3rd tuner is simple upgrade, as above if it's that simple it should be on there now. Truth is adding a 3rd tuner to the tivo software could throw up all kinds of issues within the software that no one has foreseen. After all tivo have known the box would have 3 tuners ever since the first contracts were signed how long (2years??) ago.
1 year ago
Advertisement
Old 18-01-2011, 12:26   #842
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
TiVo in the US and indeed around the world has never had three tuners, so TiVo have had to write software bespoke for VM.

Be careful how you make promises DF. You have no guarantee that you will be able to deliver.
Old 18-01-2011, 12:30   #843
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Be careful how you make promises DF. You have no guarantee that you will be able to deliver.
Chill

I don't make promises about service issues, but I do know how things are going.

There is no indication that the planned 3rd tuner will not be ready by March
Old 18-01-2011, 12:34   #844
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Chill

I don't make promises about service issues, but I do know how things are going.

There is no indication that the planned 3rd tuner will not be ready by March
I'll be first in line to eat a big slice of humble pie!
Old 18-01-2011, 12:40   #845
tweedie
Inactive

tweedie has a spectacular aura about themtweedie has a spectacular aura about themtweedie has a spectacular aura about themtweedie has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaltiger View Post
Cant believe customers are panicking over the 3rd tuner not being quite ready for distibution, so are these people constantly recording two programs at the same time all the time, I dont think so, I'm surprised you have any spare space on the hard drive if this is the case and the time to watch the recordings.
Actuall yes, majority of the things that get recorded are usually on at the same time
Old 18-01-2011, 12:44   #846
whizzard
Inactive

Services: VM TiVo & V+ XL TV / XL Telephone / XL 30Mb Broadband with Super Hub
whizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to all

I'd imagine the third tuner isn't going to be an issue by the time the box is in general circulation anyway.
Old 18-01-2011, 12:45   #847
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

And also when they are not on VOD or catch-up, so you have to record at the scheduled time or just hope they are repeated at a future date. This has happened many times for me and I even had a couple of times where I could have done with a 4th tuner such is the issue with the 9-10pm slot and VM not having access to a +1 channel or any catch-up on channels like Sky1 right now.

I want to control the TV I watch and when I decide to watch it, so I typically set series recordings and watch when I want to. 2 tuners for recording means I virtually never have a clash, but only having 1 will be different.

However if this is fixed in March after Tivo can be purchased in February, then a 4 or 5 week period will hardly be an issue for me.
Old 18-01-2011, 13:04   #848
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post

I want to control the TV I watch and when I decide to watch it, so I typically set series recordings and watch when I want to. 2 tuners for recording means I virtually never have a clash, but only having 1 will be different.

However if this is fixed in March after Tivo can be purchased in February, then a 4 or 5 week period will hardly be an issue for me.

I may have misunderstood you here but, as I understand it, you will still have two recordable tuners in the TIVO at initial release; you just won't have a third tuner to watch a separate live channel at the same time.
Old 18-01-2011, 13:07   #849
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I may have misunderstood you here but, as I understand it, you will still have two recordable tuners in the TIVO at initial release; you just won't have a third tuner to watch a separate live channel at the same time.
That's correct.. you can still record 2 programmes at the same time. you just can't watch another live channel.
Old 18-01-2011, 13:21   #850
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

TiVo Premiere App for iPad review
Old 18-01-2011, 13:25   #851
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Sorry, wasn’t being clear enough, was meant to be referring to tuners available for recording while watching a third i.e. V+ now.

It is often the case that the children have not gone to bed before 9pm when programmes are starting which we would prefer them not to see, so 2 recordings may start while we’re watching something else on TV (my son seems to be addicted to Challenge TV!). Hope that explains the scenario I am thinking off when 2 tuners (in addition to the 3rd for TV) are available for recording is so useful.
Old 18-01-2011, 13:47   #852
whizzard
Inactive

Services: VM TiVo & V+ XL TV / XL Telephone / XL 30Mb Broadband with Super Hub
whizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinteastman View Post
Which has been pretty much confirmed as coming on VM at some point too/
Old 18-01-2011, 15:05   #853
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Calm down.

Also DF won't be the one delivering it lol.

I am also sure that the 3rd tuner will arrive in time.
Old 18-01-2011, 18:22   #854
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzard View Post
Which has been pretty much confirmed as coming on VM at some point too/
Yes, if I remember part of the deal is feature parity with TiVo's products.
Old 18-01-2011, 21:44   #855
Felim_Doyle
cf.geek

Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Felim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of society
Send a message via ICQ to Felim_Doyle Send a message via AIM to Felim_Doyle Send a message via MSN to Felim_Doyle Send a message via Yahoo to Felim_Doyle
Lightbulb Re: TiVo

Quote:

Hopefully, this time, they'll write the soft-/firm-/middle-ware to dynamically detect the number of tuners available, as they should have done the first time (I would have).

When we all have TiVo boxes with multi-terabyte disks and multiple HDMI connectors it should be possible to watch four programmes on two screens (picture-in-picture) whilst recording another four for later viewing!

Right now this evening, even with +1 channels, I have such an overlap of programmes I want to watch, most of them new episodes, that I will have to wait until they are, hopefully, repeated later in the week. No PVR here at all yet but, if I had, with only one tuner recording I still don't think I would be able to catch them all.
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Closed Thread