Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post-Brexit Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Post-Brexit Thread
Closed Thread

Old 30-06-2016, 09:53   #841
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntluser View Post
Agreed, but given the anti-EU feelings expressed in Europe are the EU making the same mistakes as the UK because leaders are out of touch with the electorate?

Maybe we need to look at how other EU countries are handling immigration and come up with a policy for best practice.
I don't think anyone is having a good time of it with regards to migration at the moment.

The world is a lot smaller than it used to be.
Advertisement
Old 30-06-2016, 10:05   #842
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
I don't think anyone is having a good time of it with regards to migration at the moment.

The world is a lot smaller than it used to be.
Might that suggest we all have a common problem that we all need to discuss and address.

Countries do need breathing space to allocate resources and make provision for immigrants but at present they are arriving in many EU countries in overwhelming numbers and probably in locations where the locals feels oppressed and resentful.
Old 30-06-2016, 10:18   #843
RBMark

AFP: A European sources says the EU has agreed to open a new negotiating chapter with Turkey on its bid for EU membership.

Old 30-06-2016, 10:27   #844
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMark View Post
AFP: A European sources says the EU has agreed to open a new negotiating chapter with Turkey on its bid for EU membership.
Given that we can't cope with the existing number of migrants we have in the EU how does it help to make the EU even bigger?
Old 30-06-2016, 10:30   #845
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Kept that back until after our referendum.

What other EU nonsence is in the wings I wonder?
Old 30-06-2016, 10:55   #846
Big Brian
Inactive

Big Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Maybe. I think though, in the end, the politicians will rather upset those concerned over immigration rather than the middle-classes or bankers who are more likely to be hit by trading away banking. Especially the Tories, if we're being ultra-cynical a angry vote from declining industrial towns hit by immigration is far more likely to harm Labour than the Conservatives.

If there is one thing that seems to hold true across politics is that these people are constantly overlooked by the left and right.
Not if Boris is PM. No way will he accept freedom of movement. He'd probably tell them to get stuffed first.

---------- Post added at 10:50 ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 ----------

Quote:
YouGov poll (yes polls get it wrong) shows Britain against second referendum 2 to 1. Also I've been reading country's outside the EU including Australia, New Zeleand, India,Mexico and many others "queuing" up for trade deals witb the UK. Good news for Britian as the EU is 16% of worldwide trade, even less once Britian leaves. We're now free to do our own trade deals with other 86%.

An as for the back of the queue statement from the USA, it's expected our trade with the US to become more valuable as the "like minded" countries deal direct.

Expect lots of doom and gloom over the coming months before article 50 is started. Project fear stage 2 is in full swing. But again it will be all words.
Indeed. Tell them to go to Hell if we don't get a deal without freedom of movement. Ghana said yesterday they wanted to trade with us. Who needs the single market anyway. If the Germans still want to sell cars to us then they better play ball.

---------- Post added at 10:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntluser View Post
Might that suggest we all have a common problem that we all need to discuss and address.

Countries do need breathing space to allocate resources and make provision for immigrants but at present they are arriving in many EU countries in overwhelming numbers and probably in locations where the locals feels oppressed and resentful.
For the life of me, I 'l never understand how the EU couldn't see this coming. Some of us did as far back as the 70s. The main reason I and others voters voted against the Common Market is because we said it wouldn't end there. It would eventually turn into a USE with a lot of poorer countries joining and that would lead to mass migration. We were laughed at then. Ha they ain't laughing now as our good friend Nigel Ferage would say.
Old 30-06-2016, 11:09   #847
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

I'm actually surprised at some of the names I am actually seeing popping up to be party leader.

Some of them I know by name but other than that who are you.
Old 30-06-2016, 11:20   #848
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Kept that back until after our referendum.

What other EU nonsence is in the wings I wonder?
Not really. It was known about months ago, is following a pre-determined timetable, and is a procedural thing.

Just no-one noticed as it didn't forward any agendas here. As soon as it became clear it could forward one the tabloids were all over it.

In other news the Prime Minister can't serve article 50 legally without an Act of Parliament.

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 ----------

Unsure if sarcasm or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brian View Post
Not if Boris is PM. No way will he accept freedom of movement. He'd probably tell them to get stuffed first.
He really wouldn't if the price were too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brian View Post
Indeed. Tell them to go to Hell if we don't get a deal without freedom of movement. Ghana said yesterday they wanted to trade with us. Who needs the single market anyway. If the Germans still want to sell cars to us then they better play ball.
Are you really comparing a trade deal with Ghana to single market access?

We need the single market. You may have no problem cratering the economy to ensure no freedom of movement but it's not a view that's shared by politicians or businesses.

I would prefer not to be forced to emigrate because some jingoistic nut job blew a massive hole in our economy and landed my family with part of the bill to keep Johnny Foreigner out.
Old 30-06-2016, 11:24   #849
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Interesting Brexit fallout:

Brexit boosts calls for Australia to leave the Commonwealth

Quote:
Australia's republican movement says membership has surged in the wake of the Brexit vote, as Australians question the benefits of remaining part of “little Britain”.

An “AusExit” campaign, including calls to remove the Union Jack from the flag and remove the British monarch as head of state, has gained momentum since Friday, when Britain voted to leave the European Union.
Old 30-06-2016, 11:25   #850
RBMark

https://ukconstitutionallaw.org/2016...pensable-role/

Quote:
The Prime Minster did not specify the legal authority under which he believed he or his successors might invoke Article 50, but the typical answer will be obvious to constitutional lawyers: it is the royal prerogative, a collection of executive powers held by the Crown since medieval times, that exist unsupported by statute. The Prerogative is widely used in foreign affairs, which Parliament has largely left in the hands of the Government. The treaty-making prerogative of the Crown is one such area.

If the Prime Minister is correct, and the Prerogative is the basis for the declaration, he enjoys complete discretion about when to issue the declaration: the trigger could be pulled in October, next year, or in ten years’ time.

Old 30-06-2016, 11:47   #851
Big Brian
Inactive

Big Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Not really. It was known about months ago, is following a pre-determined timetable, and is a procedural thing.

Just no-one noticed as it didn't forward any agendas here. As soon as it became clear it could forward one the tabloids were all over it.

In other news the Prime Minister can't serve article 50 legally without an Act of Parliament.

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 ----------

Unsure if sarcasm or not.

He really wouldn't if the price were too high.

Are you really comparing a trade deal with Ghana to single market access?

We need the single market. You may have no problem cratering the economy to ensure no freedom of movement but it's not a view that's shared by politicians or businesses.

I would prefer not to be forced to emigrate because some jingoistic nut job blew a massive hole in our economy and landed my family with part of the bill to keep Johnny Foreigner out.
Indeed not. I just mentioned it as another country queuing up to trade. I'm sure we can more than make any economic shortfall without being in the single market with the rest of the world.

---------- Post added at 11:41 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Well that's nothing new really. Don't they vote on it every few years and ditching the Queen as well? Anyhow, I doubt it will stop them trading with us.

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 ----------

I don't think we really have anything to worry about in the long run. All this talk atm is just uncertainty coupled with the problems in Labour and Tory. I knew the Tories would crack and have a leadership election and should have seen it coming with Labour as I've said in here all along his heart wasn't in the campaign to stay. He's a life long Brexiter and you can't change that overnight. You know what they say. You can take the Catholic out of the Church but you can't take the Church out of the Catholic. I speak from experience here.

This was Corbyn's problem all along but I don't see the need for Labour to go as far as they did. It'll be a cold day in Hell before I vote for the main Parties again. I'll stick with UKIP for now as I have at past 2 elections and the Council ones too.
Old 30-06-2016, 11:51   #852
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Smile Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Oxford English Dictionary of expertise - "Expert skill or knowledge in a particular field"
OR

Ex = "has been"
Spurt = "drip under pressure"

ergo
Exspurt = has been drip under pressure
Old 30-06-2016, 11:57   #853
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-36570120

Quote:
Boris Johnson: I'm not standing as Tory leader
Old 30-06-2016, 12:06   #854
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
OR

Ex = "has been"
Spurt = "drip under pressure"

ergo
Exspurt = has been drip under pressure
So you don't use an expert doctor, dentist, car mechanic, electrician, gas fitter, etc. etc.?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 30-06-2016, 12:20   #855
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I'd expect all of those to have expertise in their fields but the idea of the exspurt is more often smoke and mirrors.