Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Eurozone will collapse...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Eurozone will collapse...

Old 08-06-2012, 22:48   #826
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Eurozone will collapse...

Newsnight is reporting that Spain will announce that it needs bailing out tomorrow afternoon. This is the part where the crisis gets very, very, very serious.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2012, 10:31   #827
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

You really wouldn't think so would you. Let's have some more meetings about meetings and tinker around the edges...

I reckon this is going to be the biggest European crisis since WWII and I really fear for the consequences if the Eurocrats don't bite the bullet and accept that the Eurozone in its current form doesn't work. Even if they do that, there's going to be plenty of pain and misery spread far and wide for a very long time. I only hope it doesn't lead to mass social unrest or worse but anyone who doubts that it could ought to reflect on history.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 17:28   #828
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Someone said yesterday in one of the many items I've read on the subject, the European Project is the life's work, salary and pension for many of those now in charge of it. Admitting it's game over - and was flawed from the outset - is simply too much to ask of them. They are fundamentally compromised and frankly are the last people who should be making the decisions right now. This is not going to end in any controlled fashion. It will simply stagger on until it blows apart at the seams. And then we shall see what we shall see.
Old 09-06-2012, 17:48   #829
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

If I had any savings, I'd be tempted. But as I've been going hand-to-mouth pretty much since this whole debacle started, I don't have anything to lose.
Old 09-06-2012, 18:58   #830
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Spain asks for cash.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18382659

Well if they worked rather than take a siesta when it's a bit hot.

Why don't we give all our taxes to europe.

It's about time well upsticks and left Europe behind us, then all those that come here and leech of the British benefit system can be told to sod off home.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 19:05   #831
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Someone said yesterday in one of the many items I've read on the subject, the European Project is the life's work, salary and pension for many of those now in charge of it. Admitting it's game over - and was flawed from the outset - is simply too much to ask of them. They are fundamentally compromised and frankly are the last people who should be making the decisions right now. This is not going to end in any controlled fashion. It will simply stagger on until it blows apart at the seams. And then we shall see what we shall see.
I'm afraid you're right and I fully expect that when it does the Eurocrats still won't accept responsibility for their mad project and will blame its failure on others.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 19:45   #832
Will21st
Inactive

Services: XL Tv,100MB,M Phone.
Will21st has reached the bronze age
Will21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze ageWill21st has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Spain asks for cash.

Well if they worked rather than take a siesta when it's a bit hot.

Why don't we give all our taxes to europe.

It's about time well upsticks and left Europe behind us, then all those that come here and leech of the British benefit system can be told to sod off home.
I actually agree and wish we would

a) leave the EU
b) orientate ourselves more towards the Commonwealth,the Americas and the rising economies of the Far East.

I'd say Britain is extremely well connected globally and should really use that to it's advantage.Europe is way too complacent in it's ways and thinks it' the dogs private parts when it's anything but....
I guess now I know why they called it #the old world'....

on a scarier note I've just sold a property in Germany and I'm waiting for a substantial wedge to go into my account.... obviously the Euro is only allowed to collapse AFTER that has happened!
Will21st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 19:56   #833
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
I'm afraid you're right and I fully expect that when it does the Eurocrats still won't accept responsibility for their mad project and will blame its failure on others.
When they have 'tried everything' and it still hasn't worked, it will blow apart and it will be all the fault of the Anglo-Saxon bankers.
Old 09-06-2012, 21:31   #834
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

I still say let it implode and then start again with a common market not this super state that they seem to think is the answer

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 23:22   #835
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Spain is to get up to €100 billion to bail out its banks. That's about EIGHTY BILLION POUNDS. The total cash outlay to bail out UK banks was about £120 billion. The difference is, we had the resources to pay for it. Spain does not.

Let nobody be fooled by the mechanism being used to funnel the money here. The fact that the EFSF is paying Spain's own bank restructuring fund directly rather than handing the cash to the Spanish treasury is a rather pathetic face-saving exercise designed (but doomed to fail) to disguise the fact that Spain does not have enough cash to bail out its own banks.

Spain's banking sector is bankrupt and were it not for foreign aid, that fact would imminently be bankrupting the Spanish state itself. Eurogeddon is here, folks, and the fat lady is in the wings.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:18   #836
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

Spain is to get up to €100 billion to bail out its banks. That's about EIGHTY BILLION POUNDS. The total cash outlay to bail out UK banks was about £120 billion. The difference is, we had the resources to pay for it. Spain does not.

Let nobody be fooled by the mechanism being used to funnel the money here. The fact that the EFSF is paying Spain's own bank restructuring fund directly rather than handing the cash to the Spanish treasury is a rather pathetic face-saving exercise designed (but doomed to fail) to disguise the fact that Spain does not have enough cash to bail out its own banks.

Spain's banking sector is bankrupt and were it not for foreign aid, that fact would imminently be bankrupting the Spanish state itself. Eurogeddon is here, folks, and the fat lady is in the wings.
Wish i could get a bail out

Old 10-06-2012, 09:23   #837
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Just been reading this and i do feel he could be right

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18383804

Quote:
The UK's hopes of economic recovery are being "killed off" by the eurozone crisis, the chancellor has warned.

Writing in the Sunday Telegraph, George Osborne said European leaders faced a "moment of truth" which could determine the economic future for over a decade.
This made me laugh

http://news.sky.com/home/business/article/16244113

Quote:
Spain's finance minister has confirmed his country will ask for European financial aid for its ailing banking system.

Madrid insists the eurozone support for its banks is not a rescue, and not all banks need money.

Luis de Guindos told reporters the country has not yet made a formal loan request - but a statement from the eurogroup of finance ministers said they expected one "shortly".
So what the hell is it if not a rescue and here is the problem the faces when the country's being rescued will not except that there banks are at fault in the first place. !

Old 10-06-2012, 10:17   #838
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

It is a rescue. But they think that by calling it something else (and announcing it at the start of the weekend) the markets will not implode on Monday morning. The Spanish economy is twice the size of Greece, Portugal and Ireland combined - what is happening here is seismic. I doubt the financial sector is likely to be taken in by this attempted sleight of hand for very long.

The Eurocrats are utterly delusional. Everybody remember where you were during the summer of 2012 - we are living in historic times. Think Kennedy, think moon landing, think 9/11.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:55   #839
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
It is a rescue. But they think that by calling it something else (and announcing it at the start of the weekend) the markets will not implode on Monday morning. The Spanish economy is twice the size of Greece, Portugal and Ireland combined - what is happening here is seismic. I doubt the financial sector is likely to be taken in by this attempted sleight of hand for very long.

The Eurocrats are utterly delusional. Everybody remember where you were during the summer of 2012 - we are living in historic times. Think Kennedy, think moon landing, think 9/11.
Surely, when faced with the very real consequences of ruin, Germany will agree to Eurobonds? From my reading that would stabilise the situation?
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 13:21   #840
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Germany can't agree to Eurobonds. Merkel is constitutionally forbidden to do so. This is why she speaks of such fiscal union as the desirable end of a process of integration rather than an immediate step towards integration.

For that level of sovereignty to be ceded, constitutional change requiring referendum would be needed in Germany. That cannot be done quickly and in the current climate, arguably cannot be done at all. In Germany as elsewhere the thirst for European integration is much stronger within the political class than in the population at large. Germans are already looking askance at the amount of their money thrown into a bottomless pit - they are only going to stand for so much more.