Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Anytime+ Vs Virgin Media VOD

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky Anytime+ Vs Virgin Media VOD

Old 01-03-2011, 11:37   #61
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Sky Anytime+ Vs Virgin Media VOD

My point regards Sky OD content is that with Sky you can watch movies OD if you are a Sky movies subscriber plus many shows are downloaded to anytime , you have anytime+ and lots available on sky player.

http://skyplayer.sky.com/vod/content...t/promoPage.do

Content looks ok to me.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2011, 11:47   #62
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
My point regards Sky OD content is that with Sky you can watch movies OD if you are a Sky movies subscriber plus many shows are downloaded to anytime , you have anytime+ and lots available on sky player.

http://skyplayer.sky.com/vod/content...t/promoPage.do

Content looks ok to me.
I pretty much agree, get over the slight wait with Anytime+ and it's fine. Plenty of movies to watch, there's no doubt about that.

But for me personally no network catch up would be it's failing which is all we usually use VM's OD for really.

Just my opinion though
mersey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:57   #63
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post
I pretty much agree, get over the slight wait with Anytime+ and it's fine. Plenty of movies to watch, there's no doubt about that.

But for me personally no network catch up would be it's failing which is all we usually use VM's OD for really.

Just my opinion though
Excellent point , catch-up is VM big plus point.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:11   #64
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Content is Sky's business, and their only advantage over VM. VM's VoD delivery system will be superior for the foreseeable due to their superior platform. This will potentially change when Sky begin to use Openreach's VULA FTTx platforms.

Once Sky have that established they can then begin to use HD and it makes catch up viable.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:40   #65
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Content is Sky's business, and their only advantage over VM. VM's VoD delivery system will be superior for the foreseeable due to their superior platform. This will potentially change when Sky begin to use Openreach's VULA FTTx platforms.

Once Sky have that established they can then begin to use HD and it makes catch up viable.
And do they plan to use it ? What sort of a timeframe ?
Old 01-03-2011, 13:10   #66
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
And do they plan to use it ? What sort of a timeframe ?
Yes - should be this year, can't give a more specific timeframe than that as subject to change, etc, etc.
Old 01-03-2011, 14:09   #67
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yes - should be this year, can't give a more specific timeframe than that as subject to change, etc, etc.
To me that's when VM big advantage comes to an end , ok there BB speeds will be faster than BT's 40 mb FTTC but these will be sufficient for the majority of people.
Old 01-03-2011, 14:53   #68
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
To me that's when VM big advantage comes to an end , ok there BB speeds will be faster than BT's 40 mb FTTC but these will be sufficient for the majority of people.
That with multicast support and ability to use multiple VLANs to a single subscriber, along with the ability to configure port profiles as they see fit (meaning >40Mbit/s is doable) removes VM's VoD advantage to most as far as platform goes, about 38Mbit/s of throughput is more than adequate for 3 HD streams.
Old 01-03-2011, 16:48   #69
gstadt
Inactive

gstadt is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That's a shame, if Virgin had access to the VOD movie rights we'd have access to it right now
gstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 22:58   #70
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Review on Sky Anytime+ to balance the argument.

http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...1869?artc_pg=1
Old 07-03-2011, 12:25   #71
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

The one flip side to VM on demand system is the We are experiencing high demand in your area problem which is frequent for a lot of people , but gladly has improved for me now in my area.
Old 07-03-2011, 13:20   #72
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
The one flip side to VM on demand system is the We are experiencing high demand in your area problem which is frequent for a lot of people , but gladly has improved for me now in my area.
I can honestly say in the near 15 months I have had VM I have never once had the high demand message.

But as you say there is at least a small group of customers that do. I remember that VM announced upgrades were being completed to the servers to be completed mid February. Were these upgrades aimed at resolving these problems or just a general upgrade (maybe for Tivo?).

Sadly over on DS some people are still reporting the problems. It seems to mostly occur after 9pm.
mersey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 13:55   #73
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I can honestly say in the near 15 months I have had VM I have never once had the high demand message.
Ditto, I've never seen it in over 7 years. It simply isn't an issue for most people.

Quote:
I remember that VM announced upgrades were being completed to the servers to be completed mid February. Were these upgrades aimed at resolving these problems or just a general upgrade (maybe for Tivo?).
It was to install new software. It was announced because it caused a significant outage in each region.

Capacity upgrades happen continually, but aren't announced.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 14:00   #74
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:

But as you say there is at least a small group of customers that do. I remember that VM announced upgrades were being completed to the servers to be completed mid February. Were these upgrades aimed at resolving these problems or just a general upgrade (maybe for Tivo?).

Sadly over on DS some people are still reporting the problems. It seems to mostly occur after 9pm.
I had a month spell were after 7pm it was near impossible to watch anything , I was just making the observation that both services are not perfect , although VM will be pleased as this fault proves the service is popular.
Old 07-03-2011, 18:49   #75
jtaylor06
Inactive

Services: 100Mb BB with SuperHub 2 Galaxy S 5 on EE
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze age

Quote:

I've had it once or twice. Just pressed okay, and then pressed view once again. Bam! the content loads.
Same goes for that error message that appears saying that on demand is unavailable upon trying to view content.
jtaylor06 is offline   Reply With Quote