Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post-Brexit Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Post-Brexit Thread
Closed Thread

Old 28-06-2016, 16:56   #646
RBMark

Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
What scares me is that I know Chrys, and appreciate he is an intellegent person yet he didn't realise. He's helped me with problems well before my accident a few years ago. (I've recovered well enough thanks, nearly back to normal if I knew what that meant.)

What does this say about the Intellegensia of this country???
So we base the intelligence of our nation on the fact one cableforum user doesn't understand the difference between a referendum and a general election? In that case he would of been better of not voting.

Advertisement
Old 28-06-2016, 17:03   #647
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
What scares me is that I know Chrys, and appreciate he is an intellegent person yet he didn't realise. He's helped me with problems well before my accident a few years ago. (I've recovered well enough thanks, nearly back to normal if I knew what that meant.)

What does this say about the Intellegensia of this country???
I think that Chrys feeling he must make a protest vote to the government means the government have not done their job properly in informing the voters properly of the consequences of their decision .In Chrys' case he felt that he had to protest immigration as a lot do and their only avenue was through the referendum ,that is 100% down to the various governments of the day for not properly informing people or allowing reasoned discussion on the subject,i would definitely not call it unintelligent just uninformed.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMark View Post
So we base the intelligence of our nation on the fact one cableforum user doesn't understand the difference between a referendum and a general election? In that case he would of been better of not voting.
Or we could use some of your posts

Old 28-06-2016, 17:17   #648
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society

Quote:
I think there were several reasons for the low turnout and the unexpected result:-

a) some voters simply forgot it was voting day because they were doing something else and were distracted so no votes from them.

b) some voters went to Glastonbury expecting there to be a voting booth there, but there wasn't so no votes from them

c) some voters were busy elsewhere on voting day and were supposed to organise postal votes but never got round to it so no votes from them

d) some voters were really confused about the issues and did not know which way to vote so no votes from them

e) some voters - the really apathetic ones - weren't bothered by the outcome and didn't bother to vote so no votes from them

As a consequence we really need to improve the way we as voters vote for issues and parties in this country and all voters need to take the time and trouble to properly organise their voting arrangements.

It also places a responsibility on political parties to make clear to voters what their policies are and give information about the consequences of voting for them.

In the case of the EU referendum it was a shambles by politicians and voters alike that led to the unexpected result with Leave voters being a bit more organised than Remain voters. There is a lesson here for all of us. Don't forget to vote.

Last edited by ntluser; 28-06-2016 at 17:21.
Old 28-06-2016, 17:22   #649
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntluser View Post
I think there were several reasons for the low turnout and the unexpected result:-

a) some voters simply forgot it was voting day because they were doing something else and were distracted

b) some voters went to Glastonbury expecting there to be a voting booth there, but there wasn't so no vote from them

c) some voters were busy elsewhere on voting day and were supposed to organise postal votes but never got round to it so no votes from them

d) some voters were really confused about the issues and did not know which way to vote so no vote from them

e) some voters - the really apathetic ones - weren't bothered by the outcome and didn't bother to vote so no vote from them

As a consequence we really need to improve the way we as voters vote for issues and parties in this country and all voters need to take the time and trouble to properly organise their voting arrangements.

It also places a responsibility on political parties to make clear to voters what their policies are and give information about the consequences of voting for them.

In the case of the EU referendum it was a shambles by politicians and voters alike that led to the unexpected result with Leave voters being a bit more organised than Remain voters. There is a lesson here for all of us. Don't forget to vote.
We are great whingers in this country ,brilliant at identifying problems but when it comes to doing anything about those problems it's all "i'll do it next Tuesday" ,or weather looks a iffy today maybe tomorrow"

Old 28-06-2016, 17:27   #650
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
We are great whingers in this country ,brilliant at identifying problems but when it comes to doing anything about those problems it's all "i'll do it next Tuesday" ,or weather looks a iffy today maybe tomorrow"
I don't think people can complain if they do not vote on serious national issues and the outcome is not to their liking.
Old 28-06-2016, 17:30   #651
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntluser View Post
I don't think people can complain if they do not vote on serious national issues and the outcome is not to their liking.
But they will

Old 28-06-2016, 17:44   #652
j52c
Inactive

j52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Wasn't really a clear majority. It was a really close result.

Should have been a minimum of 60-70% before it was classed as a confirmed result.

The MPs though could technically reject it and stay.
There is no truth that it should have been a minimum of 60-70%

The rules were it was the first passed the halfway line, the numbers that are mentioned in the petition made up by the submitter, incidentally, the starter of the petition is a Brexit supporter.

Our politicians brag about how we have brought democracy to the world and when it comes dow to out own country they do not respect it at all. Brett won by over 1,000,000 votes and democracy says they one, any government who tries to overturn that will not be in government long.
Old 28-06-2016, 18:04   #653
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by j52c View Post
There is no truth that it should have been a minimum of 60-70%

The rules were it was the first passed the halfway line, the numbers that are mentioned in the petition made up by the submitter, incidentally, the starter of the petition is a Brexit supporter.

Our politicians brag about how we have brought democracy to the world and when it comes dow to out own country they do not respect it at all. Brett won by over 1,000,000 votes and democracy says they one, any government who tries to overturn that will not be in government long.

Actually the person who started the poll did it back in May when he expected a remain result.

He did however word it for a change in the rules which means no matter how many sign it, it won't mean a thing to the result of this recent referendum.

The rules cannot be changed after the fact.

Nice try by Remain though.
Old 28-06-2016, 18:06   #654
RBMark

Quote:
Actually the person who started the poll did it back in May when he expected a remain result.

He did however word it for a change in the rules which means no matter how many sign it, it won't mean a thing to the result of this recent referendum.

The rules cannot be changed after the fact.

Nice try by Remain though.

Remainers were very clear before the result, even a difference of ONE VOTE would be accepted, remain also said A50 would be triggered the next day, bunch of liars.

Personally the best thing to come out of the referendum (outside of London) is the massive sense of community in England. For the first time ever as a white English man I feel part of a community and it's a community that I won't let go of!

I'm sure everyone here agree it's great that the English finally got a healthy sense of community.

Last edited by RBMark; 28-06-2016 at 18:09.

Old 28-06-2016, 18:12   #655
RizzyKing

Of course people can be unhappy about things every country has them we have all at one time or another been unhappy about something but there was a vote a majority voted for something and unless we're prepared to bin our history we abide by it but don't have to be happy about it. I voted leave but I'm unhappy at the moment at the way the country has responded, unhappy at our politicians who despite the low bar the public set for them have limbo'd under with plenty of clearance and unhappy with how the EU has responded.

I had hoped this vote would make the EU wake up and realise they have issues that need resolving but instead it's a case of get the UK out and carry on as before. Anti EU sentiment is not unique to the UK it's widespread across western Europe and growing because people have had enough and want change. I have no time for farage or ukip and will never vote for them but it's a joke they are more in touch with people then any other party in the UK. We have been let down by successive politicians to the point we have ended up with inept self serving morons who view voters as nothing more then trouble.

As to the question of "if remain had won by the same margin" I'd have been disappointed but would have accepted it as I was prepared to do I didn't believe leave was going to win said so on this forum. Ignoring 17 million voters is not the answer to any of the problems we now face neither is ignoring the 16 million but the result was what it was we have to proceed in a way that best satisfies all but follows the vote and that means leaving the EU. Also trying to interpret why people voted the way they did is redundant now people on both sides may have had their votes influenced by the misinformation and half truths from both camps there is no way to quantify.

Let's put the pressure where it belongs right now onto the politicians to do what the people told them last week and because that is what they are paid to do, or we can carry on as we are get nowhere fast and further divide this nation.

Old 28-06-2016, 18:14   #656
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Remainers were very clear before the result, even a difference of ONE VOTE would be accepted, remain also said A50 would be triggered the next day, bunch of liars.

Personally the best thing to come out of the referendum (outside of London) is the massive sense of community in England. For the first time ever as a white English man I feel part of a community and it's a community that I won't let go of!

I'm sure everyone here agree it's great that the English finally got a healthy sense of community.
Now you come across to me a racist. I know plenty of people of different colours who were born here. Being English is not a colour.
Old 28-06-2016, 18:15   #657
Big Brian
Inactive

Big Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
The result was in no way a clear majority of the country

Just to be clear i voted to leave and i could not agree more with this statement .Voting in referendums should be compulsory and i think in a split decision like this one we should have another one with compulsory voting and if still split then the status quo stays in place.I also think that allowing the government to campaign or even any group to campaign is wrong in referendums we should just be given facts like Daddy says above,enough to allow an informed decision.
Indeed. Why not go the full way and adopt a Russian System? Vote how you want as long as it's for me.
Old 28-06-2016, 18:17   #658
RBMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brian View Post
Indeed. Why not go the full way and adopt a Russian System? Vote how you want as long as it's for me.
OMG Don't let Remainers know about that !!!'

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

Quote:
Now you come across to me a racist. I know plenty of people of different colours who were born here. Being English is not a colour.
No but I am white , explain why you think what I said is racist? Unless you think being white is racist? Or you think stating your race is racist?

Sorry pal but your life of being casually racist is over! It all changed Friday , call me a racist call me a thief, call me a red arrows pilot. Neither is true and I don't care if you think I'm either of those.

Last edited by RBMark; 28-06-2016 at 18:20.

Old 28-06-2016, 18:20   #659
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Just a reminder - it is against the Site's Acceptable Use Policy to use words that invoke the swear filter.

Repetition of this behaviour may invoke the Infraction System.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35295114-post5.html
I'm totally with you on this Hugh, but I wish that the forum had a definitive policy on this so that everybody knows where they stand:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/27...wed-forum.html

I did assume that the leave result would force the EU to adopt concessions (mainly on immigration and sovereignty), but after watching this I feel I may have been too optimistic:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...reign-minister

Even the former Polish Foreign Minister accepts and understands that the British are fed up with the amount of Poles coming over here!

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 28-06-2016 at 18:23.
Old 28-06-2016, 18:24   #660
ntluser
cf.mega poster

We can't get on until the Conservatives elect a new PM and they do not seem to be in a hurry to do that even though the £ is under severe pressure and shares are dropping rapidly in value.

It is similar to the Titanic band playing on regardless while the Titanic was sinking instead of taking action.

MPs need to get on before the damage done becomes irreversible.
Closed Thread