Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 27-11-2011, 14:41   #6106
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes View Post
If you want more recording time, at present the only way to do it would be open the TiVo box and replace the harddrive. Apparently it's been done but violates the terms/conditions of your agreement with Virgin Media so I wouldn't recommend it, but if you went from 500GB to 2TB (maximum these will support, I think) you'd quadruple your recording time and get well over 200 HD hours according to the screencap from the page I linked:

ill take a look, just becuase i like the idea, i wouldnt do it my self as its not my equipment. The 500gb recording space is enough for me at mo, max space i have got to i think is 12%

the recording space in the pic is massive, that is alot of tv viewing esp in SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I agree , that was my point if VM switched to Mpeg4 TIVO would have a massive storage increase , don't get me wrong its a lot now.
and also it would be more equal to skys recording capacity as well
Advertisement
Old 27-11-2011, 14:44   #6107
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation
Question Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I agree , that was my point if VM switched to Mpeg4 TIVO would have a massive storage increase , don't get me wrong its a lot now.
Has the VM network capacity issue gone away with the switch off Analogue and headend upgrades so the need for Mpeg4 streamed channels are less important if VM want more HD channels?

Old 27-11-2011, 14:47   #6108
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Does anyone recall how long it takes for the channel logos to show up in the mini guide?

I'm sure they were there almost instantaneously with my first TiVo....
Old 27-11-2011, 14:48   #6109
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the 2012 analogue switchoff concerns only the regular over-the-air channels (BBC One, BBC Two, ITV1, Channel 4, 5) as Virgin Media switched off their "analogue via cable" service last year.

There has been talk of using the former broadcast frequencies for other purposes, but either way it won't make any difference to a cable service provider like Virgin Media. Could be wrong though!
Old 27-11-2011, 14:50   #6110
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
Does anyone recall how long it takes for the channel logos to show up in the mini guide?

I'm sure they were there almost instantaneously with my first TiVo....
On both my Tivos I had to reboot the box for the logos to appear.
Old 27-11-2011, 15:13   #6111
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayzell View Post
Has the VM network capacity issue gone away with the switch off Analogue and headend upgrades so the need for Mpeg4 streamed channels are less important if VM want more HD channels?
We are constantly working to improve capacity, we have plenty at the moment, further work is being carried out to future proof the network

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes View Post
I believe the 2012 analogue switchoff concerns only the regular over-the-air channels (BBC One, BBC Two, ITV1, Channel 4, 5) as Virgin Media switched off their "analogue via cable" service last year.

There has been talk of using the former broadcast frequencies for other purposes, but either way it won't make any difference to a cable service provider like Virgin Media. Could be wrong though!
We still have pockets of analogue only areas, but these are being "over-built" with digital equipment, for example exTelewest West London and part of Ex-NTL Southampton. Derry in N.Ireland was converted earlier this year. areas were we are unable to upgrade due to planning laws, such as westminster are being abandoned.
Old 27-11-2011, 15:17   #6112
mhatter67

So DF plenty of room for some lovely new HD channels then

Old 27-11-2011, 15:20   #6113
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Yes and hopefully these will include Sky Atlantic HD and the ITV HD channels sometime early next year.
Old 27-11-2011, 15:28   #6114
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Yeah
Old 27-11-2011, 15:37   #6115
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Yeah
Perhaps DF can give us a prelude of what might come our way next year.
Old 27-11-2011, 15:42   #6116
mhatter67

Wink Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Perhaps DF can give us a prelude of what might come our way next year.
Do tell DF, we promise to keep it a secret

Old 27-11-2011, 15:44   #6117
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Do tell DF, we promise to keep it a secret
LOL

You'll have to wait for VM to make announcements of that nature
Old 27-11-2011, 15:45   #6118
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
LOL

You'll have to wait for VM to make announcements of that nature
The masters voice has spoken.
Old 27-11-2011, 15:46   #6119
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
The masters voice has spoken.
Old 27-11-2011, 17:16   #6120
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
On both my Tivos I had to reboot the box for the logos to appear.
I've been waiting for my TiVo to finish recording before trying a reboot but it's got the channel logos appearing correctly as you suggested. Thanks
Closed Thread