Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 07-09-2016, 21:41   #481
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Might be because past history shows cable TV as always lagging behind, content, performance and functionality wise.

Peoples patience with the "it's coming soon, bear with us" line is exhausted. Even when told that it's coming soon, this isn't always the case.

As soon as they get anywhere near to catching up, the other providers leave them behind again!
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2016, 22:12   #482
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Might be because past history shows cable TV as always lagging behind, content, performance and functionality wise.

Peoples patience with the "it's coming soon, bear with us" line is exhausted. Even when told that it's coming soon, this isn't always the case.

As soon as they get anywhere near to catching up, the other providers leave them behind again!
At one stage, I'd say that cable was ahead due to its on-demand offerings. But VM has said end of the year for the new box, I don't think it has said coming soon.
The coming soon line tends to refer to channels which some users have identified as "testing" and will be launching imminently. I could be mistaken but I don't think VM uses the term that much.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 23:12   #483
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

Cable's answer to the original Sky+ box, the V+ had an extra tuner. Tivo made that extra tuner recordable, added loads of functionality; Whishlists, permanent series links (which I believe Sky eventually added) auto-resolution of recording clashes and OTT Services etc.

Yes, Sky Q makes them currently ahead. But, depending on the functionality of the new VM Box, that may turn out to have been the case for only a matter of months.

In the past (and maybe in the future) Sky was ahead launch-time wise, but the later launch of the cable product gave better functionality.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 23:33   #484
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong1 View Post
Yes, after all the hype I was totally underwhelmed by the TiVo UI "revamp". Barely noticed to be honest.

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:58 ----------

By the way, does anyone know the number of tuners in the new TiVo?

My neighbour was told 6, by a probably woefully ill-informed (not their fault!) retentions rep. But, if that's true it's less than impressive compared to the Sky Q's 12. Even if you take out the 2 "UI" tuners and the one "for future development" there are still 9 in Sky Q:

- 1 dedicated to Live TV
- 4 dedicated to recording
- 2 dedicated to tablets
- 2 dedicated to multiroom mini boxes

All usable at the same time.
There is no confirmed mini multi room boxes at this moment
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 14:25   #485
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
The new box is the VM update equivalent to Sky Q; only a few months behind Sky Q.

Apart from trialists, who are under NDA, no one knows the functionality of the new box. If the functionality of the new box hasn't improved and is not similar to that of Sky Q, then there is reason to complain.

But why are people, who know nothing about it's functionality, judging it before it is released?

And moaning about it's appearance and interface, is rather like 'judging a book by it's cover', which we all know, is not a wise thing to do.
I hope to god the first thing discussed on the opening day of discussion was how fast its going to operate

Tivo has fantastic functionality laid low by appalling implementation

waiting for menu screens let alone Apps to load is a nonsense.
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 16:16   #486
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeninferno View Post
I hope to god the first thing discussed on the opening day of discussion was how fast its going to operate

Tivo has fantastic functionality laid low by appalling implementation

waiting for menu screens let alone Apps to load is a nonsense.
Absolutely. Following yet another reboot, I find the EPG is now being affected. It won't even let me set programmes for tomorrow.

The Discovery Bar has disappeared and it won't let me come out of the EPG, all it does is 'bong'. Pathetic.
Old 13-09-2016, 16:47   #487
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Apparently, the office of the CEO have now acknowledged that this is a "widespread problem".
Old 13-09-2016, 19:04   #488
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

What is widespread?? Apps not loading as fast as customers want?

Also what is your source for this apparent issue?
Old 13-09-2016, 19:29   #489
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Apparently, the office of the CEO have now acknowledged that this is a "widespread problem".
Who Said! You can't go round spreading false information like that. A lot of forum members look to this forum for help and they rely on the opinions of the more experienced members.
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 19:43   #490
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Another who seems to make unsubstantiated widespread claims and a hatred of Virgin it seems at the same time...

Last edited by denphone; 13-09-2016 at 20:04.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 19:50   #491
dodgem22
cf.addict

Services: virgin tv phone and broadband giff gaff mobile
dodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about them

I am the source quoted as I made a post on another forum regarding this, they admitted to me on the telephone they are having widespread speed issues (tivo responsiveness) they even state the same on there own help pages I did not realise it was a secret. For avoidence of doubt it was someone who works in the Ceo office not the Ceo.

They did not say everyone has speed issues but they know a lot of people are. Myself included and they said they are working on a fix with Tivo as far as I know this is all common knowledge! They have said they are doing something about it so I will take them at there word.

I have no hatred for Virgin I am a long term customer of theres

Last edited by dodgem22; 13-09-2016 at 19:59.
dodgem22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 20:03   #492
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

There are always a few issues with any service be it Virgin , Sky , BT or any of the others but for some to say it is in meltdown is a utter untrue fabrication although l do hope those who do have problems get them sorted out pretty quickly.
Old 13-09-2016, 20:22   #493
dodgem22
cf.addict

dodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about them

I never said it was in meltdown denphone? As for Bt I wouldnt be brave enough to return to them.
Old 13-09-2016, 20:32   #494
denphone
Still alive and fighting

l know you did not say that dodgem but some others were making exaggerated statements overplaying the issues as yes there are issues but they are certainly not widespread as they are far from that.
Old 13-09-2016, 20:39   #495
dodgem22
cf.addict

They said widespread to me but refering to speed/responsiveness of box issues not being confined to one geographical area