Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | DJ David Lowe loses job over racist word

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

DJ David Lowe loses job over racist word

Old 11-05-2014, 22:48   #31
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: DJ David Lowe loses job over racist word

He should have played "Mad World".

You couldnt make stupidity like this up.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2014, 04:26   #32
RizzyKing

As far as I'm concerned the n word is not something anyone can be offended by now it has widespread use within the community that once opposed it. I am sick and tired of thin skinned people and the rush to be offended brigade constantly trying to enforce their ridiculous PC attitudes onto everyone. Another oldie they may want to remember "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me" I've been on the end of plenty of abuse in my life I never made a big deal of any of it because it's life for gods sake grow up and grow a thicker skin.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:13   #33
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogof View Post
Well according to the BBC today the Church of England is racist. Yeah that's right everyone in the C of E is racist LMAO. Only the BBC hey.

If the word England wasn't in the name they wouldn't have said such a thing. How stupid do you have to be to brand a whole "church" as racist lol. I'm sure there may well be racist members, just like there maybe racists within Islam but no way can you brand the whole thing racist.

Out of 2 archbishops 1 is black An 1 is white, Jesus Christ isn't even white. Good old BBC
he was when he was on the telly at Easter
Old 12-05-2014, 11:26   #34
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

It's all about context - if someone says it meaning to offend (even if they pretend they are not, using the excuse "but "they" all say it!), it's obviously inappropriate.

But in the two cases mentioned here, it wasn't said (Clarkson was reading aloud a story, came across the word, quickly realised he shouldn't say it in a recording, and mumbled something so he wasn't saying the word), and in the other case, is a DJ supposed to check every record - stupidity abounds...

btw, if people want to see if the word is offensive (and try the excuse "but "they" say it"), try travelling to Chapeltown in Leeds (or any similar area in other towns/cities), walk up to a local member of the Afro-Caribbean community, and call that person that word, and see the response....

I have discussed this with my daughter's partner and his family (who are Afro-Caribbean), and whilst they think that people shouldn't get offended on their behalf, 999 times out of a 1000 when the word is used to them by a white person, it is to be insulting and derogatory.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:30   #35
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I have discussed this with my daughter's partner and his family (who are Afro-Caribbean)
Cool. a black dude in the family. you get to hear the good reggae and vibes when he pops round in his BMW?

Quote:
and whilst they think that people shouldn't get offended on their behalf, 999 times out of a 1000 when the word is used to them by a white person, it is to be insulting and derogatory.
Of course it is. but nobody is really disputing that. and nobody is saying that we should be able to say the word simply because "they do"

but it doesn't help when they do use the word freely amongst each other.

but like you said. it's about the context in how it is used.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 13:14   #36
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
btw, if people want to see if the word is offensive (and try the excuse "but "they" say it"), try travelling to Chapeltown in Leeds (or any similar area in other towns/cities), walk up to a local member of the Afro-Caribbean community, and call that person that word, and see the response....
I like being alive so I'll pass on that one thank you Hugh
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 13:41   #37
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Do it dressed in a Bob Marley t-shirt, your hair in dreadlocks, look stoned and put "yo" before the word and say "whats up" after and no offence will be taken. As you say, context plays a big part, it's not the actual word.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 13:44   #38
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
It's all about context - if someone says it meaning to offend (even if they pretend they are not, using the excuse "but "they" all say it!), it's obviously inappropriate.

But in the two cases mentioned here, it wasn't said (Clarkson was reading aloud a story, came across the word, quickly realised he shouldn't say it in a recording, and mumbled something so he wasn't saying the word), and in the other case, is a DJ supposed to check every record - stupidity abounds...
It is all about context, as you say. For instance, amongst my friends, there are a few in jokes that taken out of context could be considered offensive. There are certainly a few that if others used them, we would consider offensive.. But, when we use them amongst each other, we know they are not meant offensively.

Regarding David Lowe. Maybe he should know what words are in the song, but should the record even be in the library? Should he be fired for playing an old song that happened to include an offensive word? At worst, he should have been allowed to apologise. He shouldn't have been fired.

But, the BBC seems terrified of causing offence, and there are areas of the media that will use any excuse to attack the BBC. I'm thinking mainly of the Daily and Sunday Mail, and also the various Murdoch rags and TV stations. This is why this has carried on..

They made an interesting point on the Now Show on Monday.. The Mirror apparently had adverts on the page where they had the Jeremy Clarkson video. So, how much did they profit from the N word? I personally find that worse than saying it by mistake.

Also, there is the psychological aspect. They told us he'd said the N word. How many of us would have spotted it without being told it was there?

Quote:

I have discussed this with my daughter's partner and his family (who are Afro-Caribbean), and whilst they think that people shouldn't get offended on their behalf, 999 times out of a 1000 when the word is used to them by a white person, it is to be insulting and derogatory.
No thanks..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 21:43   #39
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

Quote:

Sometime last year I arrived at my partners house and three of her black male relatives were sat in the living room. They were all fairly big guys, the heaviest being around 20 stone and the smallest a few stone heavier than me.

One said 'Do you ever use the word n*****?'

To this I replied 'Not when I'm here I don't'

They all had a good loud laugh, I never found out why they asked the question.

Being a minority when I'm at her place, I'm often referred to as the 'Honky' or 'The Big White Chief'. It's strange that I never get offended, but now I have made it public I guess someone could come along and be offended on my behalf.
Old 12-05-2014, 21:53   #40
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee View Post
Being a minority when I'm at her place, I'm often referred to as the 'Honky' or 'The Big White Chief'. It's strange that I never get offended, but now I have made it public I guess someone could come along and be offended on my behalf.
It's the historical association of the word and it's oftentimes intended usage that makes it offensive, rather than the word itself, if you get what I mean.

---------- Post added at 21:53 ---------- Previous post was at 21:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
It is all about context, as you say. For instance, amongst my friends, there are a few in jokes that taken out of context could be considered offensive. There are certainly a few that if others used them, we would consider offensive.. But, when we use them amongst each other, we know they are not meant offensively.
Exactly. I am sure everyone on here has things they don't mind their friends saying but feel otherwise if it were someone else.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote