Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 16:21   #4321
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
They need to make one with a bigger hard drive still.LOL
Yes we now need a Tivo with a 3TB hard drive.
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2011, 16:22   #4322
ahardie

Services: XL tv/L internet, Tivo(1Tb.), SA V+.

Quote:
In general i would agree however one american comedy that does chime in with the british sense of humour i find is "curb your enthusiasm" with Larry David (the writer) in circumstances that reflect real lfe situations i find it hiliarious.
I will second that Richard. I had watched a couple of the first series and decided it was a bit off the wall even for me. A few days ago tivo recorded an episode as a suggestion and I decided it to give it another try. I've now put it on series link. It was the one where a lady's plump belly saved Larry David's life after he nearly fell off a roof. Funniest ending to a comedy I've seen in years.

Old 05-06-2011, 16:22   #4323
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerman View Post
Me too! I think it's down to a different sense of humour but I just don't get the American comedy.
Yes l love my British comedy and who can forget some of the wonderful series of the past.
Old 05-06-2011, 16:28   #4324
ahardie

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes l love my British comedy and who can forget some of the wonderful series of the past.
IMO British comedy used to be the best but since the BBC seems to have given up on mainstream comedy several years ago then I can only find American comedy series worth watching.

Old 05-06-2011, 16:28   #4325
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes so do I and as you say who can forget the great comedy's of the past, But some of the new US ones are getting better( But not as good as the home-grown ones )
Old 05-06-2011, 16:38   #4326
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardie View Post
IMO British comedy used to be the best but since the BBC seems to have given up on mainstream comedy several years ago then I can only find American comedy series worth watching.
Yes BBC,SKY,and ITV should invest more in British comedy.

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Yes so do I and as you say who can forget the great comedy's of the past, But some of the new US ones are getting better( But not as good as the home-grown ones )
We have always had our own distinct sense of humour in this country.
Old 05-06-2011, 16:39   #4327
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
I will second that Richard. I had watched a couple of the first series and decided it was a bit off the wall even for me. A few days ago tivo recorded an episode as a suggestion and I decided it to give it another try. I've now put it on series link. It was the one where a lady's plump belly saved Larry David's life after he nearly fell off a roof. Funniest ending to a comedy I've seen in years.
I have the box set series 1-7 the writing is top notch and is consistant.As this clip called "splashback" from series 7 illustrates ps it will offend the religeous. The lady with the belly is in there too this must have been the episode you watched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWsQyoCMIUk&NR=1

Old 05-06-2011, 16:40   #4328
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I think its just the fact the US networks have much deeper pockets.
Old 05-06-2011, 16:54   #4329
ahardie

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I think its just the fact the US networks have much deeper pockets.
They always have though and the BBC still made some of the best comedy series in the world.

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

Quote:
I have the box set series 1-7 the writing is top notch and is consistant.As this clip called "splashback" from series 7 illustrates ps it will offend the religeous. The lady with the belly is in there too this must have been the episode you watched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWsQyoCMIUk&NR=1
Yes that's the one Richard. Comedy genius.

Old 05-06-2011, 16:56   #4330
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Quote:
They always have though and the BBC still made some of the best comedy series in the world.
I agree but just look how much the BBC has had to cut off their budgets over the last few years , a lot of famous British actors/actresses head to the states now as the BBC simply can't offer them as much.
Old 05-06-2011, 16:56   #4331
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Whilst we're recommending US comedies; "The Big Bang Theory" get's my nod.
Old 05-06-2011, 17:04   #4332
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Whilst we're recommending US comedies; "The Big Bang Theory" get's my nod.
Remind you of anyone

Only joking Carl
Old 05-06-2011, 18:49   #4333
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

I never look at what country a show is form, if its good its good. There might be some extremely good British comedy but there is quite a bit rubbish around as well.

In recent years there has been some superb US comedy:

Curb your Enthusiasm
Community
The Office (just get past the horrid first season)
Parks and Recreation (This show is just superb)
Big Bang Theory
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (might be a bit to twisted for most)
Two and a Half Men (you either love it or hate it but I find it a very switch your brain of an go with flow)
Modern Family
How I Met Your Mother
Party Down

As you can guess I am a US TV junkie.

The only British comedy in recent years that has got me laughing is The In betweeners and Peep Show.
Old 05-06-2011, 20:22   #4334
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Remind you of anyone
Not in the slightest

---------- Post added at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
As you can guess I am a US TV junkie.
As am I, but mainly their dramas. Not a big fan of comedy; though I might give "Curb..." a try sometime. Plus I have a wishlist for S1E1 of "2.5 Men" just to see what the fuss is about
Old 05-06-2011, 20:25   #4335
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Not in the slightest

---------- Post added at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

As am I, but mainly their dramas. Not a big fan of comedy; though I might give "Curb..." a try sometime. Plus I have a wishlist for S1E1 of "2.5 Men" just to see what the fuss is about

Yes looking at his Avatar he reminds me of Angus Loughran or Statto as he is known as.
Closed Thread