Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What have you fixed lately?

Old 12-01-2016, 21:51   #391
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Spent a couple of hours putting together an Ikea Malm bed. The delay was caused by the order of the instructions being wrong. Basically if you put the bed together in the order shown, it doesn't fit properly..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-01-2016, 12:07   #392
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Wired up the electronics and fitted new scratchplate on my latest guitar project. Yep it's another strat to go with the rest of them

Going to do a jazz bass next but this will be a scratch build body with a nice laminated top.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 15:27   #393
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
Wired up the electronics and fitted new scratchplate on my latest guitar project. Yep it's another strat to go with the rest of them

Going to do a jazz bass next but this will be a scratch build body with a nice laminated top.
It'd be nice to see some pics of the final product.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 16:11   #394
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

The car was having starting problems. I found it was a sticky fuel pump relay. Took it apart, lubricated, reassembled. All OK now.

Whilst looking for a solution, I found a comment on a Czech Skoda site that said "after being left unused for a few days, fuel pressure will have dropped to zero, so before cranking the engine let the ignition switch stay on second position for 10 seconds to allow the fuel pump to operate and return full pressure".

I never knew that before.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 16:58   #395
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
It'd be nice to see some pics of the final product.
Will do, just got the string trees to pop onto the headstock later when I finish work and it's pretty much done.
Old 14-01-2016, 23:32   #396
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Decided to put a Fender decal on since the guitar is all Fender bits apart from the custom neck Hence the reason it being masked off to protect from the nitro spraying over the decal.

The body is from a Mexican Strat: probably a factory second because there is a minor imperfection in the cavity routing which you can't see anyway - bought from eBay for 40 quid.

The pickups and hardware are from a standard USA and Jap strat, just bits that I had lying around from previous guitars that had been upgraded.

The neck was made by a luthier friend. It's a compound radius neck which means basically the it has a normal profile near the headstock to make it easy to play chords and becomes flatter nearer the top frets to make it easier to play your Steve Vai licks and show off your chops.

Just needs a few more nitro layers on the headstock, flatting off with wet and dry, fit the string guide and strings.
Old 15-01-2016, 10:06   #397
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Looks great!

I'd imagine a job like that is very satisfying.
Old 15-01-2016, 12:01   #398
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Looks great!

I'd imagine a job like that is very satisfying.
Ta, for 40 quid and the cost of some wood it's pretty satisfying yes

Nothing beats a stratch build though although I don't really have the inclination to make necks which is a real fiddly and time consuming process.
Old 15-01-2016, 13:25   #399
Osem
Inactive

The older I get the more I like working with wood. It's warm, forgiving and doesn't answer back like...
Old 15-01-2016, 14:16   #400
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Not so much fixed as updated / upgrades (ran) an old 2009 iMac that I got given - I am very impressed with it considering how old it is it runs really well.

And the accessibility is second to none - much better than the built in windows stuff.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 15:37   #401
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
The car was having starting problems. I found it was a sticky fuel pump relay. Took it apart, lubricated, reassembled. All OK now.

Whilst looking for a solution, I found a comment on a Czech Skoda site that said "after being left unused for a few days, fuel pressure will have dropped to zero, so before cranking the engine let the ignition switch stay on second position for 10 seconds to allow the fuel pump to operate and return full pressure".

I never knew that before.
Most fuel injected cars prime the fuel system once the ignition is turned to position II, I've always given my cars a few seconds before engaging the starter for just this reason.

In fact, I once had a very strange problem with a Rover 45. If you jumped in first thing in the morning and turned the key, it would spin over fine but not actually start. Try again and it still wouldn't. Turning the ignition off for 15 seconds and then try again and it was fine. That 15 seconds wait caused the ECU to prime the fuel system again and it would then start. In the end a new battery sorted it
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 16:10   #402
tweedle
Permanently Banned

tweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
Most fuel injected cars prime the fuel system once the ignition is turned to position II, I've always given my cars a few seconds before engaging the starter for just this reason.

In fact, I once had a very strange problem with a Rover 45. If you jumped in first thing in the morning and turned the key, it would spin over fine but not actually start. Try again and it still wouldn't. Turning the ignition off for 15 seconds and then try again and it was fine. That 15 seconds wait caused the ECU to prime the fuel system again and it would then start. In the end a new battery sorted it
Many years ago Vauxhall had an issue with failing fuel pumps on 2.0DTI diesel cars. The fuel pumps were fine but they were lubricated by the diesel fuel.

They would fail because car owners would just turn the key to start the car and not allow a few seconds for the pump to prime itself with diesel for lubrication.
tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 17:39   #403
Osem
Inactive

I'm learning some useful motoring stuff here. Wonder how many 'breakdowns' have been caused by stuff as simple as this?
Old 15-01-2016, 17:53   #404
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

It's also good practice, especially if you have a turbo charged car, to allow the engine to idle for a few seconds before moving off or revving to allow the oil pressure and supply to get fully established to all working parts.
Old 16-01-2016, 10:55   #405
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I also learned that you should not depress the accelerator pedal when starting an injected engine. This can cancel the "choke" and so you get an unstable start. This was a tiny comment in the manual on a page not relating to starting the car.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote