Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 27-05-2013, 12:06   #3751
buckleb
Inactive

Services: Vivid 200 Tivo 500GB
buckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Things have been pretty stable here in my part of Crawley since they increased channels and speed.

I'm moving house in a couple of weeks, to another VM enabled area, let's hope the service is as good there!
buckleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-05-2013, 09:24   #3752
Neptune_Twilight
Inactive

Services: TiVo XXL - VBox x 2 - 152/12 - Landline - VM Mobiles x 2 ~
Neptune_Twilight is an unknown quantity at this point

Things were OK until yesterday

Any thoughts?
Neptune_Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 09:53   #3753
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Not much to go on there. were you using the circuit during the daytime period? Uploading? What was going wrong? Poor gaming? Poor web site loading? Poor what? The average ping (blue) was stilll lowish.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 10:42   #3754
Neptune_Twilight
Inactive

Thanks for that, the connection wasn't in use in the day at all, the maximum latency is usually lower. I did reboot the router around 10pm accidentally though which seemed to change things. Maybe it was ready for a re-boot I leave the router on 24/7? I don't have many problems apart from the last couple of days websites have been a little slow in initial loading though speed tests always show 126 & 11 ish. Thanks, I'll leave well alone then.
Old 29-05-2013, 11:55   #3755
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Assuming the router to be the Superhub 1, then yes - it sometimes does that. It gets itself cluttered and then gets busy trying to sort the clutter out and in the meantime, TBB is pinging all the time.

The SH2 is much better in that regard. I've posted my TBB graphs in router mode in this thread and it's been perfect for three or four weeks now.

Old 29-05-2013, 18:17   #3756
Neptune_Twilight
Inactive

Looking now it's not bad again, thanks.
Old 30-05-2013, 09:35   #3757
jarrodstrachan
cf.member

jarrodstrachan is on a distinguished roadjarrodstrachan is on a distinguished road

Superhub went offline this morning for around 5 minutes, checked the router status after coming back online and it seems upstream bonding has started on my connection. I hope this helps my latency as I'm in an over utilised area and anything during the evening is painful.

Before upstream bonding:

After upstream bonding: (lets hope it stays decent)

Also, Seph - I'm running the Superhub in modem mode under a Server converted to router running ClearOS . Does the Superhub 2 help latency even in modem mode? Also, would the Superhub 2 use upstream bonding too?

Cheers in advance
jarrodstrachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 09:46   #3758
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Hi Jarrod

Just looking at your nascent bonding TBB, it looks like there is upstream congestion, although that can be in the server you've converted to be a router (though instinctively I'd regard that as unlikely). I'm afraid I know very little about that aspect of your setup.

Regarding the SH2 - it works no differently in modem mode from the SH1. There is no latency difference that I've discerned in modem mode between the two. In route rmode, I have noticed a big difference and my latency (see what I've posted somewhere in this thread) is nearly the same as in modem mode. Very low.

The SH1 & SH2 work identically as regards channel bonding.

If you have a freestanding router, you could attach it for a couple of hours and see if your latency changes on TBB - but I doubt that it will. The question to put to VM on the VM forum is whether or not the bonded upstream has been accompanied by additional upstream capacity or is there work still outstanding.

Old 30-05-2013, 09:53   #3759
jarrodstrachan
cf.member

jarrodstrachan is on a distinguished roadjarrodstrachan is on a distinguished road

Cheers for the response buddy, will be sure to ask on the forums whether extra capacity has been added, but I doubt it as the "fix date" for my overutiliastion is not until the 7th of August .

I envy your graph. so. so. much.

EDIT:

Upstream bonding seems to have made my pings worse, by quite a bit
Old 30-05-2013, 11:09   #3760
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Are your modem stats in spec? If they've changed something on your network there can be a period of instability as I noticed when my downastreams changed from 4 to 6 (now 8) and I went onto a different CMTS.

Though when I went to bonded upstream, the TBBs instantly changed to the sort of graph I've posted. Note that I'm currently in router mode as part of the SH2 trial - it's quite a surprise to me as VM haven't explained why it's like that. Nobody else in router mode on the SH2 trial has posted a graph like main, AFAIK.

Old 30-05-2013, 11:25   #3761
jarrodstrachan
cf.member

Upstream stats :

Downstream stats:

They look good to me, seems that they've just spread overutilisation from one channel onto two
Old 30-05-2013, 11:38   #3762
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Yes - they're absolutely nominal. I think your analysis is correct. The two channels would have been allocated prior to bonding on a load balanced basis. If they are saturated, they'll remain saturated when everyone in your node is sharing the same pair of channels.

Old 30-05-2013, 18:53   #3763
Blairhoyle
Inactive

Blairhoyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Blairhoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 19:57   #3764
Simm
Inactive

Simm is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow Blair..............something get fixed????

I dream of that connection

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Simm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 20:04   #3765
Blairhoyle
Inactive

Blairhoyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simm View Post
Wow Blair..............something get fixed????

I dream of that connection

yeah mate I was in bed on my phone trying to search something then my phone stated that there was no internet connection.

came down stairs and noticed that my hub wasn't working, it was late and I couldn't be bothered checking what was up, when I got back from work I checked TBB and that is what I got.

Odd because I had something similar a few weeks back until the status quo appeared over the last few weeks.

I got an email saying that I had been upgraded also.
Blairhoyle is offline   Reply With Quote