Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 11:32   #3721
chunkymonkey
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TV XL and Phone Size M and Broadband size L V+HD and VHD
chunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the rough
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Also, when is the release date for the 500GB model?
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2011, 11:32   #3722
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Sometime this month we think.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:30   #3723
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Apparently it will be the 11th May or there abouts.
Old 09-05-2011, 14:27   #3724
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Apparently it will be the 11th May or there abouts.
My Mums having one for her Birthday. Tivo that is
Old 09-05-2011, 14:28   #3725
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Your Mums lucky.
Old 09-05-2011, 14:43   #3726
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

This is a interesting read? Just a quote from the article:

Caraeff's strategy is "figuring out how to work with everybody" – be it "Facebook, YouTube and Lastfm in the US", or "ITV, Sky and Channel 4 in the UK".
He is keen to have a strong presence on connected TV services in the UK, such as Virgin Media's TiVo, as this will drive Vevo's user base.

Full Link: Sorry if it has been posted already?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...companies.html
Old 09-05-2011, 15:14   #3727
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Correct.

Irrelevant.

As mentioned elsewhere, deleted programmes are not counted in the "Space Available" calculation.

Of course, Suggestions are included as they are recordings available to watch. They will also be the first things to be deleted if it becomes necessary.
I think you have missed my point, Carl. Perhaps I didn't explain where I was coming from.

There are three categories of recordings which use up space on the TiVo disk.

Only the space used up for your own recordings is reported as space being utilised.

However, suggestions and deleted recordings actually take up real space.

The chances are that everyone's disk is actually full of data fairly soon after install and from there on in TiVo will have to maintain this space by deleting suggestions and/or previously deleted recordings to make way for what you want to record.

IMHO This may be the reason for the perceived 'slowing down' of TiVo.

PS Are you sure that suggestions are counted in the reported space utilisation? I'm not so sure.
Old 09-05-2011, 15:39   #3728
wyabcp
Inactive

wyabcp is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
The reason it will be asking for a PIN will be due to the data still be downloaded?
There will be 3 tuners as if you are watching a channel and you push info and it will show the other 2 tuners?
The latest software is AE8.
Hi
Many thanks for the response!
I had to power off the box and now i can view 108 without the pin prompt....
SW doesn't appear to be up to date yet though so will wait for that...

cheers
Old 09-05-2011, 15:55   #3729
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyabcp View Post
Hi
Many thanks for the response!
I had to power off the box and now i can view 108 without the pin prompt....
SW doesn't appear to be up to date yet though so will wait for that...

cheers
Which software version have you got? As the one I am on about is just the letters an number in the middle of the software code?
Old 09-05-2011, 16:07   #3730
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
I think you have missed my point, Carl. Perhaps I didn't explain where I was coming from.
More likely the former

Quote:
There are three categories of recordings which use up space on the TiVo disk.

Only the space used up for your own recordings is reported as space being utilised.
Yes.

Quote:
However, suggestions and deleted recordings actually take up real space.
Suggestions, yes; deleted recordings... well, yes, technically. But as the space they take up is not counted towards the "used space" total then deleted recordings don't matter one bit.

Quote:
The chances are that everyone's disk is actually full of data fairly soon after install and from there on in TiVo will have to maintain this space by deleting suggestions and/or previously deleted recordings to make way for what you want to record.

IMHO This may be the reason for the perceived 'slowing down' of TiVo.
Oh, okay.

Quote:
PS Are you sure that suggestions are counted in the reported space utilisation? I'm not so sure.
Not 100% sure, no. But as they are still recordings, albeit not specifically asked for, I don't see why not.
Old 09-05-2011, 16:21   #3731
wyabcp
Inactive

wyabcp is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Which software version have you got? As the one I am on about is just the letters an number in the middle of the software code?
ah..ok.. i see ae8 is the same as i have ... all up to date then... thanks
Old 09-05-2011, 16:38   #3732
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
Suggestions, yes; deleted recordings... well, yes, technically. But as the space they take up is not counted towards the "used space" total then deleted recordings don't matter one bit.
Surely that would depend on what filesystem TiVo uses, whether the deleted recordings are deleted at the filesystem level or just marked as deleted in TiVo's own database, and how well the filesystem handles fragmentation?

If deleted recordings aren't actually deleted from the filesystem until TiVo needs to use the space then they're taking up disk space.
Old 09-05-2011, 16:48   #3733
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

Quote:
My partner went in to recently deleted folder about 1 month after we got the TiVo and deleted all the programmes and it did change the disk space?

I have been doing it since the last software update and it has not changed it now?

So who knows it might have counted firstly but not now?
Old 09-05-2011, 17:04   #3734
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Surely that would depend on what filesystem TiVo uses, whether the deleted recordings are deleted at the filesystem level or just marked as deleted in TiVo's own database, and how well the filesystem handles fragmentation?

If deleted recordings aren't actually deleted from the filesystem until TiVo needs to use the space then they're taking up disk space.
It's based on Linux, if that helps Don't know much about that OS myself.
Old 09-05-2011, 17:08   #3735
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post

Maybe the Tivo likes to defrag when it thinks you aint watching, then all of a sudden you tune in and it gets caught with its pants round its ankles.
Closed Thread